Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

Who here has attempted learning a programming language?

heh, ripped the idea from reading a nearby thread.

I've attempted C++ once. Oh yes. Don't fool yourself boys and girls, the Foofs gave it a go. Not a very good one though.

I got as far as having text on a screen and when you press a key the program quits. Quite quite lame.

How far did you venture?

I was forced to learn unicomal in school. Quite what the point in learning a long dead, utterly and practically useless language was I'll never know.

Started to write a game a couple times (PANTZ, anyone?). But at some point I always realize that the code I wrote previously sucks and I start all over again. Also not having any kind of design document is a big point in failing over and over again. Last try I even wrote one, but didn't look into it while coding. Pretty stupid, huh?

html
java
javascript .net
vb
as/400 control language

I went to college and they tried to teach me these, but my web design and as/400 classes was the only ones I learned anything anyway

I did a fair bit of programming in my early teenage years, mostly BASIC, but I dabbled in a few other languages too. By my late teens I had pretty much lost interest though, and didn't even bother with a programming project at university (which would have gained me additional credit, and would have probably been a doddle for me when I was 15).

When I was pretty damn young, I learned C64 BASIC. That and HTML/CSS are the only languages I've ever successfully learned.

Javascript and C are all too easy. I am pretty tempted to learn nbasic..but I dunno if that language is obsolete or not..

I'm getting my diploma in a few weeks and I already have a job. I learned Java, JSP, Javascript, PHP , HTML, MySQL, Oracle shitty programs, VbNet, C++ and MFC. I tried learning OpenGL by myself but I haven't got really far.

I'm learning HTML at school, and i'm barely getting around in Borland C++. I guess Action Scripting counts too, but I can barely get around in that though.

Let's see...I've done stuff with C, C++, VB 6, C#, SDL stuff, QBasic, TI-Basic, x86 assembly (nasm), XML, HTML, GTK+, Perl, and various kinds of shell scripts. With the exception of HTML, I love all these languages.

I've looked into...FORTRAN, COBOL, Ada, hbasic, Qt, VB.Net (and hate it), TASM and masm x86 assembly, Pascal, Direct3D, OpenGL, and Java. Someday, I swear I'll write a useful COBOL program, as well as a useful program in APL.

Some aren't exactly "lanugages", and instead APIs, but for the purpose of this thread, close enough.

Starting maybe this fall, I'm supposed to be completely redesigning a web-based resource checkout system for work, and implementing that as our new system. Right now we use OnShore's WebCheckout. But for now, I'm just working on a few sourceforge.net/projects/depot]projects of my own.

Tried and failed to learn Euphoria (couldn't figure out the compiler), and got as far as printing Hello World in C++ (but when I tried to add something else to it, I couldn't get it to compile, and decided to just forget it). Yes, folks, I suck.

Fredrik said:

No less than 6 people have mentioned HTML. Impressive!

Always put "HTML Programmer" on your resume. It's guaranteed to make employers raise their eyebrows.

I tried learning some QBasic back in the days before Windows 95. After a few days, I made a calculator which could add, subtract, multiply, divide and do exponents. It helped that the actual math processing part was built in.

In chronological order: BASIC, Pascal, C, Visual Basic, C++. Pretty standard I guess.

I'm working on a 3D engine of some sort using C++ and the OpenGL API. Proof here (340K). It still needs a ton of work, but it looks like I won't have time to waste on it till about August or so.

I attempted Visual Basic. I attempted Basic. I attempted a lot of languages, the only one I succeeded with is Delphi.

I'm not sure if it really counts, but ASCII is somewhat of a programming language. Learned the hand down basics in a week.

I used to want to be a programmer when I was a kid. Then I took a programming class in Jr. High where we learned BASIC, and that was kind of fun and rather easy, but I quickly learned that the hard work to satisfactory outcome ratio in programming is far too high so I quickly abandonned my aspirations. I learned a bit of Python later on so I could maybe transfer my old program ideas into a Windows format, but it brought back all my memories of QBasic and I quickly abandonned that. I of course know HTML, but so does everyone else.

Bloodskull: you're fucking retarded.

Bloodskull said:

ASCII is somewhat of a programming language

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAH

Started with C64 BASIC, then went to QBASIC, then straight to c/c++ :P

I'm also learning java at uni which is pretty similar to c++, just more annoying (and much slower).

Bloodskull said:

I'm not sure if it really counts, but ASCII is somewhat of a programming language. Learned the hand down basics in a week.

No doubt you'll be moving up to assembly line code soon.

Jonathan said:

I'm getting paid to learn Delphi.

They must be paying you alot :)