Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mauro Xavier

Level of compatibility with Doomsday Engine

Well, I always use the Doomsday Engine with highres texture pack and 3D Models, and the only chance that I have to make this package free it's with FreeDoom.

When I see the project I think with myself: "Finally somebody makes a free WAD to complete this task!"

I was tested Doomsday Engine + 380Mb highres texture packs + All 3D Models (include all objects, none are in 2D) + FreeDoom, and the result is:

Almost working, only the stages 13, 25 and 31 not working at all, saying that is missing some file (if need I can get the complete messages).

By the way, good work!
I will keep my eyes in this project.

For information, my system is:

Athlon XP 2000+
512Mb
HD 120Gb + 40Gb
GeForce 4 MX440 64Mb
Linux Kurumin (Brazilian Debian based)
Kernel 2.6.11-kanotix
(using Doomsday Engine 1.8.6 compiled by myself).

Thanks.

Ps.: Sorry about my english...

The exact error message would help alot. My guess is a missing texture or something. Also keep in mind that Freedoom is designed to be Boom-compatible, which JDoom isn't. So some levels may not work as intended. Rised3D, which is based on Doomsday, is Boom-compatible though, so you might want to check that out. But I don't know if there is a Linux version.

Thanks by your fast answer, Boris!

This is the error messages for each map:

Map 13:
R_TextureNumForName: NUKEMAP not found!

Map 25:
R_TextureNumForName: BLUEMAP not found!

Map 31:
R_TextureNumForName: FOGMAP not found!

And the game simply shutdown to console.

I know the Rise3D (great engine) but don't have a Linux port and I like to make a totally free Doom to include in my Linux distro for lan houses...
And you know, the "lan players" are hardcore in the graphics terms, and in this way the Doomsday Engine with enhancements of highres textures and 3D models actually I think it is the most powerfull classic Doom port made this time.

Thanks!

The errors you are getting are because Freedoom requires a Boom-compatible port and JDoom doesnt support Boom features.

Okay.

Than I will send a message to Doomsday project too.

By the way, do you know a Linux port of Doom engine that accept highres textures and 3D models at same time? Maybe I can change the engine...

It may be possible for us to avoid those errors by including dummy texture entries for the colormaps, but I'm not sure how that would work in conjunction with real boom ports. Good luck trying to get boom support in doomsday, they've been very opposed to it.

Yes.... I see.

Why the Doomsday Project are so opposed to make it compatible with Boom format??
According with Rise3D project page, for the Doomsday accept Boom format it's necessary a lot of hard changes, like the Rise3D did.

In any case, I'm testing another engines, the only that can make fantastic graphics like Doomsday is Rise3D, but there is no Linux port... oh man.

No lucky.

Thanks. (I will keep trying)

The author of JDoom apparently wants to keep his port "pure", only using code if it's written by himself or a very select group of friends.

That is the point, and I must respect this . The guys from Doomsday are making a good work. Each one choose how make your Doom engine port...

The only chances to exist a Free Doom running on Linux with outstanding graphics and compatibility are:

1) Rise3D Linux port

2) Make another FreeDoom WAD compatible with Doomsday Engine

3) Or making PRBoom Engine compatible with hires textures and 3D Models (that is more difficult)

Well.... I will continue my "quest".

Thanks.

Errrr.... Boom support is currently being implemented into Doomsday. DaniJ is working on it, since SkyJake is working on Hawthorn aka Doomsday v2.0.

Coming in the next version of Doomsday, 1.87, will be partial Boom support (the most used functions). Fuller Boom support will most likely come in future versions.

Doomsday forums:
http://forums.newdoom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57