Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

ammo placement without stacks of the stuff?

fully half way through my wad and now the maps are getting a reasonable share of medium enemies (revenants mancubi etc.) so i'm hitting a problem. how to give the player enough ammo and health to get the job done without there just being stacks of the stuff around every corner?

• Use large ammo boxes more often.
  • Backpacks! Backpacks double your ammo capacity and give you a boost for all available weapons. Put this later in the map, though, after the player has had a chance to accumulate a couple weapons.
  • Don't even the weapon ammo out; for the most part, players will use the SSG, Chain Gun or Plasma Rifle, and use the other weapons for special situations.
  • If your map is getting to the point where you have to pile up ammo just to defeat the mass of enemies in the map, then go ahead and do it. If there's just plain no room, take some enemies out. Skill balance is the key to good gameplay, BEFORE feng shui.

Well, the ammo and health have to be there. What's the issue, the floor is full of the stuff already? In that case literally "stack" the ammo, placing multiple equivalent boxes at key spots so the player immediately gets a big load of ammo of that type when he passes each spot, like the multiple Backpacks at the beginning of Map07.

Also, whith voodoo dolls, generally using lifts, you can make the Player get stuff that isn't visible, like the SSG at the start of Plutonia Experiment's Map06. But in that case it's better if it's obvious the Player is getting something. In Plutonia you pass under the cube and hear the pick up sound.

myk said:
Also, whith voodoo dolls, generally using lifts, you can make the Player get stuff that isn't visible, like the SSG at the start of Plutonia Experiment's Map06. But in that case it's better if it's obvious the Player is getting something. In Plutonia you pass under the cube and hear the pick up sound. [/B]

I did that in map32 of Rebirth too...

Numbermind said:
If there's just plain no room, take some enemies out. Skill balance is the key to good gameplay, BEFORE feng shui.

yeah that's how i've gotten up to this point (map10) i.e. you dont get the SSG for quite a few maps so when faced with a mancubus or six and holding just a normal SG or chaingun it's harder than it would be otherwise. hopefully i've balanced that quite well so far

I think the super shotgun is one of the weapons that should be used with care in maps, as it can make things real easy and often makes the player rely on it throughout the map. It's much more interesting to play when you start with, lets say a rocket launcher and a shotgun with moderate amounts of ammo for each, as opposed to starting with a super shotgun and an amount of shells capable of dealing an equal amount of damage as the RL and SG combined.

Clumsy phrashing, but what the heck. Just my two cents :)