Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Submerge

Another 'first' question.

5th grade, just got the shareware, tried it on a 486. e1m2 scared the Hell outta me. I miss those days.

I saw it when i was 5 and 6 i didn't say anything just started playin the demo and found it really fun and good.
But the really weird thing is? the demos never ever ran when i turned doom except when i pressed f7 so when ever i turn doom demo on the demos would play really weird? and i was doing dos doom it just started up e1m1 but not demos until i pressed f7.

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster.

My first thought when I saw Doom was 'That looks kinda crap...' (God, I hate myself for saying that). I was only about 7, I think. Of course, my perspective is completely reversed, now.
I quickly changed my mind about it being crap when I first saw the sky texture from the E1M1 green armour suit room. It was a "....." experience. So, I guess I was speechless when I first saw it! :D
My dad was playing it, learning the controls, looking around the place and stuff. I remember we were looking at the controls (good old 'READ THIS!') We were trying to figure out how to open doors. Apparently, three clicks of the right mouse button did the trick. Click, click, click... nothing. Maybe faster? Click-click-click... nothing. Faster? Clickclickclick!... nothing.
Turns out we were trying to open the un-openable entrance door. You know, the one in E1M1 that's really just a wall texture? It didn't work on the first real door, either. Thankfully, we found the Spacebar. Much better.
And don't get me started on trying to avoid Imp fireballs! We would turn slowly to the left or right and move forward. An hour or two later, my Dad discovered the 'Alt' key. Strafing is great!
This was when we had the Shareware version. To this day, me and my Dad agree it's still the best demo we've ever had. A whole episode - nine levels - of Dooming! What more can I say? We got the Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom. Good times...

Erk! Sorry for the long post, guys and gals. It's just talking about my first experience of Doom brings a tear to my eye.

evilhomerdoomer said:

You didn't like wolf 3D? Or just comparing the two?

just comparing... Also loved Wolf 3D, before that all I had played were arcade FPS and side scrolling games. The lighting and textures for Doom were the first thing I noticed. Doom has a way of "putting you in the game" with the light and texture that Wolf 3D lacks.

Not having been exposed to Catacombs 3D until later, I too thought that Wolf3D was the greatest thing since sliced bread. In hindsight, I probably would've thought it wasn't anything special.

Although I did have quite a few games that were flat-shaded 3D, so all I got out of raycasters was an adrenaline boost. What a rush that was, though...

I think I played doom2 first on this guy's computer at work. Funny thing was there wasn't any sound. Later on I played through almost all of Doom2 on easiest skill except I got stuck on map 24 with those reaaaaly narrow walkways. The one save file I had I had fallen down into the lava and there was no way out! That just ended my run right there heh.