Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

The /newstuff Chronicles #234

I kinda said everything I wanted to say in my previous post, but whatever...

Yea, it's a bit less convenient to use jDoom without the launcher which is there to make it easier to play jDoom.

You don't need to set it up anymore than any other Doom port. I have done this in every Doom port I have played: I have set up screen resolution&graphics, keyboard, mouse, sounds, copy Doom wads in the FOLDER(hah)... I think that's all, I've never needed to do anything more with any Doom port or any game.

All my jDoom wads are done in the "extract & go" way and so are many others because many people complain about how hard it is to use jDoom.

So, what more is required to make it easy? Should all files be in one folder? Then you'd have some 100 files messed up and then all the average users would go:"uhhuh.. what do I click..." Then they click some JDoom.dll or .ded and then they're frustrated because the game didn't start. Should all the ded stuff be back in the source code and disallow modders to easily modify some elements of the game?

Hmm.. yea maybe you're right about the stupidity.. it's impatience for you. To me both words can mean the same thing.. impatient people are stupid people. Impatient people are always in a rush and they miss all the great stuff. That's why they have developed cars, motorbikes, airplanes and all the other useless things we don't need.

Happy Time Circus is REALLY fucking demented. And I loved every bit of it.

Fear not, stupid people! Captain Obvious is here to explain the Doomsday folder structure:

/Bin -- Application binaries
/Data -- Data files (ie IWADS, textures, models etc)
/Defs -- Definition files (ie .DEDS)
/Doc -- Documents
/Run -- Runtime folder (where Doomsdsay is executed)

Inside Data, Defs and Run is a sub folder for each game you play eg:

/Data/jDoom
/Data/jHeretic
/Data/jHexen

Wow that was complicated.

So I've got this like RAD level called Rox0rs.wad but how the heck do I load it with Doomsday???

either:
-file path/to/Rox0rs.wad
or put it in Data/jDoom/Auto (where shock horror it will be loaded automaticaly)
or find it using Snowberry/KickStart and add it to the list of installed Addons.

Run is needed for multiplatform compatibility AFAIK. It is also where the glnode cache, savegames, cfg files etc are kept. This folder is portable so for instance in a unix environment each user can have his/her own cfg, save games etc which are chosen automaticaly depending on the currently logged-in user.

I don't really know why /Defs is not under /Data. Probably because definitions are normal text files and the stuff under /data is all binary data files.

I thought Heroes Doom was done in like 95 or something. I know that heroes 2 wad one somethere around 95-96 and was awesome.

Regarding Heroes, you can get it here, including all the documentation that originally came with it (also here, with many of the replacement sounds removed). This includes most the source wads' original textfiles, Al Dewey's textfile for his own maps that are included in Heroes, and a listing of where he obtained each of the source wads.

If the dates of the files are correct, then Al Dewey released Heroes in November 1995, and all the source wads were initially released in 1994.

Edit: I see that RL has now uploaded a file that does include the documentation to the archive.

Jimi said:

Well.. DD_133, what kind of problems you had then?

Im not realy sure. I extracted it per the text instructions and tried to run it but I simply got the default maps.

DD_133 said:

Im not realy sure. I extracted it per the text instructions and tried to run it but I simply got the default maps.

Oh.. hmm.. that's strange. But I think I know what the problem is. I got that same problem with one old jdoom mod I had made. Then I found out that I had removed the PK3 file from the Doomsday\Data\jDoom\ and it was unavailable.

Check if you got Strimmer.pk3 in your Doomsday\Data\jDoom\

If you do have it there, then I don't know what's the problem, but if you don't have it there, then you must have unpacked the zip weirdly... usually happens when you have clicked something in the zip and then forgetting to unclick it...

DaniJ said:

I don't really know why /Defs is not under /Data. Probably because definitions are normal text files and the stuff under /data is all binary data files.

It's still confusing. /Defs really should belong in /Data. This is exactly the kind of stuff that can't be comprehended by some people. They want all their data neat and tidy in one place and this prevents them from doing so.

Maybe, but that is the only exception so I don't really see the problem. It's quite obvious.

Is the floating missle-shooting clown head supposed to look like Bingo, the floating clown head from the Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode called "the clowning".

Also, first post! I really like what you guys have done here on this site, and I love this community. I've been lurking for a couple months and just decided to post now.

Scopeless said:

Is the floating missle-shooting clown head supposed to look like Bingo, the floating clown head from the Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode called "the clowning".

Also, first post! I really like what you guys have done here on this site, and I love this community. I've been lurking for a couple months and just decided to post now.

Yes! Your the first person to recognize it so you win (nothing). I didn't have a picture so I tried my best from memory when drawing it.

Just lettin ya know. Yellow skull key on e3m8 on heroes is gone while using zdoom.

b00mb0dy said:

Yellow skull key on e3m8 on heroes is gone while using zdoom.

It's not a port issue - the key is missing on skill 1/2 (it's there on skills 3 and 4/5).

I've just checked the original map that Heroes E3M8 was based on (TIGERDEN), and the error is present there too. It was corrected for the Doom2 version (DM2TIGER).