Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

New Gun...from another tutorial

I used NMN's tutorial to create a weapon but I'm having difficulty understanding the part where I add color and shading, in the tutorial the breaks between color are so neat and clean and also the lines look like they're at half opacity and when I tried that the colors come out just as weak as the lines, I must be missing something, I'll go home and try again today.

That's a really cool weapon, plus, my tutorial shows off pretty well ;) blocky strong shapes. I don't get what You meant by trouble with coloring. Trouble with picking the right colors? Just stick to low-saturated ones (and dark ones) mostly. Trouble when filling the areas with color? Use an additional layer (lawyer lol :) ) for that.

Maybe it's trouble with shading? If so, there's more to explain actually.

there's so much more where that came from!
no, let me be more specific, I created a new layer and tried to send it to bottom, (I assume this what you mean by put it BELOW the vanishing layer) but everytime I draw my colored outline, it generates a new layer, and the same thing happens when I try a fill, it's been frustrating me lately, any ideas?

Im not into weapon mods, but this looks very...very nice finish this one please.
Btw:how is that wad going you where working on xanthier, you posted a thread a while ago.

Xanthier said:

no, let me be more specific, I created a new layer and tried to send it to bottom, (I assume this what you mean by put it BELOW the vanishing layer) but everytime I draw my colored outline, it generates a new layer, and the same thing happens when I try a fill, it's been frustrating me lately, any ideas?

Hmmm..
1.Ensure the layers are done like this (from top to bottom):

-outlines for construction
-basecolor and values (shading)
-transparent background
2.Make sure You're making a RASTER layer and NOT VECTOR.
Does that help?
If it generates a new layer when You select the fill tool then there's something buggy in Your PSP.. Please clarify.

I'm thinking about making weapons now... How long on average does a good-sized(say, rifle size) weapon take to make?
Would it be easier to make the guns with photoshop or PSP?

Thanks. The gun looks sweet Xanthier, hope you can get that coloring and shading done right.

Xanthier:
That looks seriously badass. I really dig the high tech look.

Nick:
Well, i can only speak from personal experience. I have used PSP over the past few years. The reason for that is that when i started drawing my own stuff for Doom i found PSP 5 to have much better support and tools for plotting pixel per pixel than Photoshop. And it was alot easier to use :D

I am using PSP 8 now and i see no reason to change to Photoshop.

Since im using NMN's excellent tutorial (and i have of course read Scuba Steves as well :P ) making new weapons goes pretty quick and smooth. I would say, if you know the software your using and you have a basic idea of the gun you want to draw, then maybe 2 hours or so from scratch to finished "product" :)

Scero said:

...then maybe 2 hours or so from scratch to finished "product" :)

Sounds good! Well, once my exams are over, you can expect to see some early contributions from me in the "weapons in progress...practice your skills" thread.

I figured it out, I had under tool option on the line draw tool, a box marked, create new line as vector, hence it created a new vector layer everytime I drew a line, and then I had to "convert to raster layer" to use fill and suddenly my layers started piling up to ridiculous proportions, so always be careful.

Doing the coloring now.

This is my second weapon tutorial, so second weapon, first time I've really taken advantage of the layers function also. But I have been drawing weapons on paper for a while now.

thus far... it looks sloppy :(

and dutch devill i will finish that level as soon as i finish this gun.