Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

Doom2- Limit broken even with Zdoom?

Okay heres the problem- I've been working on Dusk Storm which has over 677 Sectors, and just recently for some reason, one room starts having floors raise and lower randomly, a line for instant raising doesnt even make the click sound even more, I get secret rooms in normal areas when they dont even have the effect, and nukage damage on regular floors and water, once again without the effect tagged. I dont know whats going on, but I've been testing this with zdoom and it's acting all strange, what could be causing this?

*Edit* Doombuilder apparently keeps changing sector effects and lines on me, how does a sector effect go from 0 to 200 and a line type from door open to stair raise? *evil frown* Codeimp......

1. Only 677 sectors?

2. This hasn't happened to anyone else, so I would think it to be an end-user error.

3. Doom Builder has its own forum now.

Yes I think this would be the fault of something other than db itself.
Though... something wierd does happen to me from time to time, though not to that scale.
If I have a sector lowered to the floor, that later raises to the ceiling, DB sometimes resets the textures of those sectors to null. Repeatedly.
Very strange, but I am not sure enough to blame Db yet.

Nah it would break the savegame buffer in vanilla. And Bloodnuts, my levels four times that size are fine in zdoom and doombuilder, though I'm using an older version and I don't often use it for solid editing.

Use3D said:

Nah it would break the savegame buffer in vanilla. And Bloodnuts, my levels four times that size are fine in zdoom and doombuilder, though I'm using an older version and I don't often use it for solid editing.

Hmm, never knew that. Bloodnuts, lol.

Vader said:

7445 sectors right now, to be precise ;)

Fuck, thats alot a sectors! How the hell can you get so much into a little base map? God damn!

No I don't think you have broken the limit Bloodskull, Vader on the other hand...

Tormentor667 said:

Needs more detail! E1M3 of KDiZD has almost 5000 sectors :D

5,000 sectors is all fine well good great grand wonderful fantastic terrific but how does the map PLAY?

DooMBoy said:

5,000 sectors is all fine well good great grand wonderful fantastic terrific but how does the map PLAY?

What do you mean, with how does the map play?
It doesn´t lag or cause a very low framerate, neither does the detail prevent the player from moving... if that is what you mean!

If this is supposed to result in another of these Detail = bad Gameplay discussions, I can instantly tell you:
Go Fuck yourself!

Bloodskull: Have you by any chance changed level data format from Hexen to Doom or vice versa?

Or maybe alot of alcohol before you started editing is the thing to blame here.

Vader said:

What do you mean, with how does the map play?
It doesn´t lag or cause a very low framerate, neither does the detail prevent the player from moving... if that is what you mean!

I'll ignore the last half of this quoted post and address the first half. No, that's NOT what I meant, I meant: is the gameplay balanced, fun and fair? Remember, that's what maps are about: fun. Detail is a only a part of the equation.

Detail always will enchance gameplay. But will not always make a map better or more fun. However, the overuse of the same texture throughout a level can cause minor iritation to my eyes..... :-)

this whole thread = yawn
and wtf do you mean 677 sectors is not detailed? This is concidered good enough.

Of all the things to bump a month and a half old thread for, to simply declare it "yawn" doesn't really serve much of a purpose ;).