Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

god provided... fuck!

I hope nobody actually liked the original post. =)

Okay so here's the rub. Some stupid shit with my credit card happened and while I was taking care of it I passed by Best Buy.

So I browse, checking out the monitors knowing full well I will need one soon. Their selection completely eats the ass. Anyway, while I'm there I check out memory prices.

I found a 256 slice of PC133 for $30. Not bad, eh? I figured this to be a good deal and the guy (after we got done bitching about Packard Bell, Gateway, eMachines, Compaq and nVidia all being evil motherfuckers) said that he has a PC100 system too but a 133 will work with it. So I got it. Even came with a free copy of Norton Antivirus 2k2. =)

448 megs of RAM just has a nice ring to it, don'cha say?

So I got home, yanked out that Gawdawful 64 and slid in the 256. At the time I was tired and I thought I heard 'angry' beeps upon startup like something was connected poorly. My monitor didn't click on.

So fine, I figured, my motherboard won't deal with 133. So I replaced the RAM and tried to boot again. Monitor still wouldn't function.

To make a very frustrating story short the connectors in the back of my monitor began frying out. So, hey hey hey off we go to find ourselves a new monitor.

First off I returned the RAM. I woulda installed Norton anyway but hey, NO MONITOR. That makes things kinda difficult. Then we hunted through too many Goddamn stores (Staples had a 17 inch Hewlett Packard monitor for $450. I didn't see any gold or diamonds on it so I'm just as confused as you are.) and eventually settled with OfficeDepot.

I am currently using my new KDS 17 incher that I paid $160 cash for, because it had the best picture quality for my immidiate price range.

The next closest bidder was five cheaper, plus another sixty back in a rebate (that I'll prolly get in March when I won't need it), and had the picture quality of my six year old living room television. =/

To describe this monitor... it works. The picture quality is just a notch below my previous one although I have to admit the colors are about 400% better. There are actually multiple colored boxes on this forum... I'll be Goddamned. Funny how Windoze always looked fine beforehand... I guess that monitor was just constantly getting worse so gradually I didn't notice that well. =/

Oh and I tried Quake 2. It is now playable... still a little bit on the dark side for my tastes but regardless it is playable, and I could always tinker with the pretty buttons on the front of this round thing and make it better since this one also has... ::drumroll:: CONTRAST. Finally. I even have a degauss on the fucking thing although if I can't make a grilled cheese with it I think I'm confused and one of you brutha's had damn well better fill me in on the truth.

However, upon starting up my system I got a better listen to those 'angry' beeps. They were different in fact... what my BIOS was saying was, "Hey asshole, thanks for the new memory!"

D'OH!

Only this time it reported, "WARNING! Memory has decreased!"

Just as well... since considering it is the beginning of the month I now am out $160 I'd rather have because of insurance and of course Christmas shopping... and somehow I still have to pick up that painting tomorrow.

Guess it's time to cash in my quarter jar... I just hope I don't get six hernias carrying that fucking monstrosity to a CoinStar. It'd be physically impossible to count that much change before I gotta go though so I'm shit out of luck... AS USUAL. I should have at the very least $80 in it so that'll come in handy, plus I should get at least half-way reimbursed on purchasing this Goddamn thing.

So hey. I have a newer generic monitor that does colors better. Whoopie and all of that.

Be thankful. I managed to spare out the story of my keyboard rest nearly breaking my foot, my amazing vanishing Pentium 3 Heat Sink, and the whole story behind the insides of my computer and one very expensive vaccuum cleaner.

The story about how much I fucking abhor Gateway though... oh man. Oh fucking man. Oh ho ho fucking man. Seriously I'm glad no one who works at Gateway is within my immidiate range right now 'cuz I'd lunge on the cocksucker and spend the next four hours slamming his face through my floor.

If ANY of you motherfuckers, even DooMBoy, is planning on buying a Gateway, ever, or might think you're getting a deal on one, ever, for the love of whatever you consider holy DO NOT FUCKING GET IT. Save yourself the horrible, horrible trauma.

In my honest opinion right now I hold Gateway in the same regard as Compaq and Packard Bell.

They are THAT bad.

wow, deadnail I'm impressed. Your post requires a devoted hour to read, something I havn't yet given my uni. assignment which is due in all too shortly....:<
Listen, if it's any consolation, the monitor i got with my 333 a few years ago has packed up twice, it's only a chaep 15" thing after all. Have to say though I had great after-sales, they replaced i tnext day both times, even out of 1 year warranty. Treat yourself to a nice new 17" or something, my own experience is anyting bigger is just a waste of time unless you sit a coupla miles back from teh screen... heh heh. A really decent 17 is what I want...
Oh, and uh, yeah.. the superbowl's great isn't it?

I'd say get a huge-ass monitor so you can finally move out of that horrible 800x600. It's the work of the Devil, I say !

BTW, Return to Caste Wolfenstein roX0rs the boX0rs. Trust me.

FlatHead, I really hope you didn't just say roxors the boxor... dear God!

and as for you deady? what the fuck was with that? that wasn't flame-worthy at all... you're getting weak, you greasy ass-biscuit...

you could have at least picked a song that was more offensive to religion, or maybe stated something about the divine holiness of Hitler.. I mean if you want to start a flame thread then do it...

oh and by the way, a good bang for your buck are Hansol monitors.

Good to see you again. ;-)

S./

Sucks when your monitor goes south. My olde monitor had a weird line going through it but that was on the horizontal . After awhile it got worse and suddenly I had to turn the power switch on then off and on again to get it to light up. Then one day I turned my monitor on and a decayed stench of charred plastic and copper wire erupted from the guts. I pulled the power and do believe it was very close to turning into a molten fireball.

I must've missed half of the point of the thread because I read it in less than five minutes.

Anyway, don't go on that "CRT hurts your eyes" bullshit. It only applies to old monitors (such as mine - 50hz at 800x600, ouch). LCDs and plasmas (afaik) have persistence of vision and absolutely no contrast, which makes looking at them at least twice as tiring. Trust me. We got a new computer here, great specs, but a ProView (Taiwanese?) LCD monitor. I can't even enjoy the high framerates.

Also, placing them near a light makes the image almost completely black.

I believe their only true advantage is indeed the saving of space.

Most new CRT monitors are very confortable even after hours of usage, especially considering that they generally have refresh rates over 70hz at good resolutions (who needs 1600x1200 anyway? =) and a high contrast. I'd say LG Flatrons are OK and reasonably priced. Other brands to consider would be Mitsubishi and Iiyama.

But what the hell, I'm biased.

PS: farewell George Harrison.

PPS: this is probably my longest post with the new forum software.

Well, my monitor has yet to cause me any problems. Of course, that's probably 'cause it's new=P Anyway, last time the screen did this weird thing where the Desktop and everything else was blown up to 500 times its ordinary size. Needless to say, this was quite an inconvenience. It was nearly impossible to see what I was doing, let along minimize, maximize, or reply to anything here on DW.
I hate the SuperBowl, BTW. Football sux0rs, in my opinion.

There isn't a huge kick-ass speaker near the monitor? The magnet in it will do that to the monitor if it's not shielded

.. I'll try to keep this as concise as possible... I know I have a tendancy of being a warbling chattybitch.

Looks like the chattybitch part took over:)

$300 might be enough for a 19". I prefer trinitron technology tubes (Sony and Mitsubishi). They stay clearly focused for a long long time .. a telling difference. They also cost more then the others.

DELL seems to have a good deal on trini tubes. Right now it's 10% off online. Browse around and see. Some 19" look like a pretty good deal, esp after 10% off, that takes care of shipping:)

The also have a refurb center:

Dell Ultra Scan P991 FD Trinitron 19" 17.9" ~ .25mm - .26mm
Dell Ultra Scan P1110 FD Trinitron 21" 19.8" .24mm

These are Aperture grill specs (not dot pitch) and equate to a small dot pitch.

Seems that for refurb units you have to call them but not for new. Weird. Guess you loose the 10%?

From their web page:
"The Dell Outlet offers a variety of refurbished Dell-branded monitors both with and without a system purchase. To order a monitor without purchasing a computer system, please call 1-800-372-3355 for sales assistance and pricing. "

I use the P991, excellent unit for the money. Their own brand name is considerably less than a comparable sony.

my monitor has been going bad for 2 weeks now. its one of those EV910 19" pieces of crap gateway was (or still is) giving away free. it was ok for a while, but now its all tweaky. if there is something dark on-screen, it will create a horizontal band of darkness across the screen, obscuring everything. it looks like shit.

also, when i ordered from gateway, i asked for some 17" monitor that cost around $220 but the blew it off and gave me this crap.

I say screw the EV series of monitors, sure there cheap and have good sizes and dot-pitches and refresh-rates and blah blah blah, but they dont last and you get crappy support.

My $.01 (thats being generous)

On your monitor, I have two words of advice:
1)Don't put your speakers so close, it fucks with the monitor.
2)I don't know what the Hell it does, but I think the degauss/demagnitize option will help fix any weird monitor glitches. But considering you have a crappy monitor, you probably don't have this feature. I don't have one of those either.

And on the song, even NIN can do better with the god-dissing:

He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see,
He tries to tell me what I put inside of me,
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity,
He dreamed a God up and called it Christianity.

God is dead and no one cares.
If there is a hell I'll see you there.

He flexed his muscles to keep his flock of sheep in line,
He made a virus that would kill off all the swine,
His perfect kingdom of killing, suffering and pain,
Demands devotion atrocities done in his name.

God is dead and no one cares,

Your God is dead and no one cares,

God is dead and no one cares,
If there is a hell I'll see you there. (your God is dead)

God is dead and no one cares
And no one cares drowning in his own hypocrisy
And if there is a hell I will see you see you there

Burning with your God in humility
Will you die for this?

2)I don't know what the Hell it does, but I think the degauss/demagnitize option will help fix any weird monitor glitches.

Actually you gotta demagnitize your monitor at least once every 10 days if you want to avoid that problem deadnail's having.

As for brand, I'm incredibly pleased with my Samsung SyncMaster 753df. I guess you want a bigger one, altough those get quite expensive.

The display on my monitor "ripples" when I play stuff in 800 X 600. Sometimes adjusting the refresh rate fixes it up though.

The display on my monitor "ripples" when I play stuff in 800 X 600. Sometimes adjusting the refresh rate fixes it up though.

I had the same problem on my old ViewSonic. Only it happened 20% of the times and only in 640x480.

Your post requires a devoted hour to read,

Damn dude, stay the hell away from my site then you'll grow old and die halfway through my journal. =P

By the way, I have a 17 and I'd like to get another one or a 19. Anything smaller is retarded and anything bigger might cause too many space concerns.

and as for you deady? what the fuck was with that? that wasn't flame-worthy at all... you're getting weak, you greasy ass-biscuit...

A lot of people around here get all frothy nowadays when someone says 'God' without 'damn' right behind it.

Good to see you again. ;-)

Right back atcha although I'm disheartened that you haven't drowned in elephant semen by now. =/

PPS: this is probably my longest post with the new forum software.

Congrats and thanks for your input, it has been duly noted and forgotten. =)

I hate the SuperBowl, BTW. Football sux0rs, in my opinion.

Satanist.

There isn't a huge kick-ass speaker near the monitor? The magnet in it will do that to the monitor if it's not shielded

My bigass speakers are good and away. I have two small Cambridge Soundworks although neither of them are close enough to do any damage since they're shielded.

DELL seems to have a good deal on trini tubes. Right now it's 10% off online. Browse around and see. Some 19" look like a pretty good deal, esp after 10% off, that takes care of shipping:)

I did say I'd have to go actually buy the damn thing in a store but that does sound like a deal. =)

And on the song, even NIN can do better with the god-dissing:

Yeah but 3rd grade girl scouts have heard Heresy, no one has any idea who Mr. Zipp is. ^.^

new monitor

Do NOT buy CyberVision, Trinitron or Samsung. One day when I have time I'm going take all their fucking monitors I've been through and shove the CEO's heads through the screen.

Right back atcha although I'm disheartened that you haven't drowned in elephant semen by now. =/

Sorry, I tried, but I just couldn't get the damn elephant to get off...

I just try to make you happy... *sniff*

S./

One suggestion. Before you buy a new moniter make sure it is in fact a bad one. Borrow one or use an old one for a day. If the lines are still there it is likely a video card issue. If the lines are gone it is the moniter. I use a 17" and it seems to be good at arms length from the screen. It is an IBM I bott used for 89$ at a computer liqudators store in town. I figured at those prices I could buy a new one every year or two and still be ahead of the game.
Good Luck

well i've had the same monitor for my old skool iMac for 3 years now, and the only small problem it has are wierd vertical bands that i only notice during startup.

new monitor

Do NOT buy CyberVision, Trinitron or Samsung. One day when I have time I'm going take all their fucking monitors I've been through and shove the CEO's heads through the screen.

Yeah, pay attention to Mr. Win95. May I recommend a fine 12' CGA compatible monitor?

I got a second hand 21" NEC Multisync (can't remember the exact model) last year for $AU400 (read: $US225). Apart from the center of the monitor going a bit blurry in anything higher than and including 1024x768 (turning the contrast down on it fixes it, and it maxes out at 1152x864 anyways, and 800x600 looks as big as 640x480 on a smaller monitor so there's no way I'm goin down that low) I've never had a better monitor. I've had it for 18 months, it's a few years older on top of that, and it isn't playing up at all so I'm expecting it to last me for a few more years to come. I don't really have to worry about space as it fits on my desk, but for those that do have to worry about space, it's fuckin huge. Now all it needs is a nice chunky video card (only runnin a S3 Savage4 at the moment) and I'll be happy.

contrary to your advice deadnail I just read some of your journals. The one about the women you grew up with is kinda familiar... :^
ah, shit, it's raining again. I'm 18, it's Sunday afternoon and I should be having fun, I'm sure.
But the girl I like is boning a huge motherhmm, my ex is boning a randomer, and I'm here at DW all by myself. Something is wrong for sure :c

Yeah, pay attention to Mr. Win95.

You mean the man who knows how to get the most out of a PC?

Yeah, pay attention to Mr. Win95.

You mean the man who knows how to get the most out of a PC?

No, I meant the guy with the broken avatar.

Sucks when your monitor goes south. My olde monitor had a weird line going through it but that was on the horizontal . After awhile it got worse and suddenly I had to turn the power switch on then off and on again to get it to light up. Then one day I turned my monitor on and a decayed stench of charred plastic and copper wire erupted from the guts. I pulled the power and do believe it was very close to turning into a molten fireball.

My older monitor also showed such lines from one day on, going diagonal "zick-zack" from one edge to the other. It looked very strange, especially on black background. So I carried the screen to a technician and he fixed it by replacing a dead resistor in the circuit.

deadnail, I am not sure if this helps and maybe you have already tried it:

Can you set the monitors internal settings in its Onscreen Display back to its factory settings?

And have you tried to pick another monitor profile in the windows controls?

Maybe your graphics card configuration has been changed when you plugged in the higher clocked ram?

Have you tried to add a graphite-core filter (donĀ“t knoe the right english for this) to the monitor cable? Snaps around the cable. Those are cheap ($3.00 or so) and can help a lot.