Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erik

[released] - Scythe 2

Definitely the best thing that has been released this year. The only negative is that there is almost no difference between skill levels on the 'insane' maps. Up to Map22 it was excellent but the style of gameplay in the following maps is something I just don't enjoy.

Yay, I'm surprised it's out already, but it's missing three maps. Oh well, no skin off my nose, 29 maps is plenty!
/me downloads posthaste

"out already"? It's in the exact same state it was six months ago. Erik just finally realised he'd never get around to making the last three maps.

We didn't plan that far ahead. Maps 26 and 27 didn't even have midis until the day Erik uploaded it, so they were chosen by him.

Guess Erik will need to answer that one...

From that last question, I thought I'd compile the music sources if you're interested in that. Maps 01-05 were selected by Erik and Torn from a site that Torn had found, Maps 06-18 + 23-25 were selected by me, and Maps 19-22 + 26-27 + 31-32 were selected by Erik.

Map01, Map02, Map03, Map04, Map05 - Unknown to me, just misc stuff.
Map06 = Blood (sound001.mid)
Map07 = Hexen 2 (EGYP1.mid from the midi collection, basically a remix of Heretic E1M1 used in the Egyptian Hub)
Map08 = Illusion of Gaia - Great Pyramid
Map09 = Hexen 2 (EGYP3.mid)
Map10 = Metroid Fusion - Frozen in Time
Map11 = Megaman 7 - Wily Fortress 2
Map12 = ROTT - Watznext (used countless times elsewhere, but meh, we only used one at least :)
Map13 = Megaman X - Sigma Fortress 1
Map14 = Super Metroid - Galactic Warrior (outside the wrecked ship)
Map15 = Duke3D - Gut Wrencher (duke3d03.mid)
Map16 = Metroid Fusion - SA-X Arrival (I suppose some will be amused by the reference made here)
Map17 = Heretic - E1M3
Map18 = Hexen (FOOJAR.MID)
Map19 = Unknown to me, from a batman game if I correctly recall what Erik told me
Map20 = Final Fantasy VIII - Compression of Time
Map21 = Metroid Prime - Phendrana Drifts
Map22 = Star Fox Adventures - Krozoa Palace
Map23 = Heretic - E2M2
Map24 = Unknown to me, even though I picked it. I just got it from some site.
Map25 = Seiken Densetsu 3, or Secret of Mana 2 - Intolerance
Map26 = Unknown to me... sounds damn familiar though
Map27 = Final Fantasy VI - part of Dancing Mad
Map31 = some dwango map. ;)
Map32 = Scythe map01?

Vile said:

Map26 = Unknown to me... sounds damn familiar though

It's from Breath of Fire 2. I thought it sounded familiar to me as well. Turned out it was one of the midi's I downloaded to see if it would fit with one of my maps.

chopkinsca said:

It's from Breath of Fire 2. I thought it sounded familiar to me as well. Turned out it was one of the midi's I downloaded to see if it would fit with one of my maps.

Ah... yeah, that makes sense, as Erik used a song that I DID recognize from that game in One Bloody Night.

Everything about Scythe was pretty good to me, but Map16 was just overall scary. It's got this horror movie theme to it or something.

map19 midi is from Shadowrun (SNES).

The dehacked stuff is pretty simple, you can extract the DEHACKED lump and have a look yourself. Basically I used wolfSS frames for the plasma guys and keen frames + boss shooter/brain frames and misc unused frames for the fire baron (plus Espi's sprites of course). I wrote frame-tables on paper, they are pretty messy though so I would probably not be able to decipher them anymore.

Map26's music is Breath of Fire 2, it's the last battle with DeathEvan. I did notice a lot of video game music in this wad. I love it. I also loved the twist to map32.

Also, what is the reference made in map16? I played it and I kept hearing imps die and elevators stopping and the occasional red plasma guys...it was something from Metroid right?

Bashe said:

Also, what is the reference made in map16? I played it and I kept hearing imps die and elevators stopping and the occasional red plasma guys...it was something from Metroid right?

In Metroid Fusion, the SA-X is a copy of Samus Aran that was formed from the remnants of her space suit and the X virus. It had all of the powers that she had at the end of Super Metroid... so in essense a comparison is made to your encounter with Mr. X on map16. ;)

Originally, map31 was going to use music from Mortal Kombat, which would have doubled as a reference to its abundance of palette-swap ninjas like Sub-Zero and Scorpion in those games. I like the deathmatch twist better, though.

Oooooh...okay...I played Metroid Fusion...I just didn't realize what was going on.

Vile said:

Map01 - Unknown to me, just misc stuff.

Well, I've only just grabbed the file and given it a quick whirl to get a taste (seems very impressive so far) but I think I recognised that song as "Temple of Love" by The Sisters of Mercy. An old school goth classic if ever there was one.

After playing the first five levels, I'd have to say this Scythe II is the best thing to come out in a very long time! The fights are all very well-choreographed! The architecture is great! the music is good too. The traps are very fun too!

urgh, I just realized that I put an old version of map17 into the final wad. I guess that's a mistake I'll have to live with... The main difference is that in the new (non-released) version, the ambush with lots of teleporting cacos/PE is replaced with a better one... Actually I think this mistake is severe enough to warrant a reupload. You don't really have to download the new version unless you want to a) record demos or b) really hate PEs in large open areas.

New version will be up as soon as Ty gets my message and does his thing =)

Seems like many old visual anomalies are still present as well, like the unclosed sector on map02 and the back of the revenant cage on map23.

Just started Map09. I don't know what's in store for the later levels, but I have to say... Map08 blew my mind! It's such an awesome Egyptian level!

Only played three maps of it so far (still trying to find the perfect weapon mod to play with this one) but I already love it.

BlackFish said:

Erik: You may also want to fix some expliot in map14 that allows you to get the blue key really easily in the few seconds of the map.

Actually, you'll find them in many maps if you really look. There are many intentional shortcuts left in.

BlackFish said:

Erik: You may also want to fix some expliot in map14 that allows you to get the blue key really easily in the few seconds of the map.

I was wondering whether that was an intentional short-cut or not? Maybe not, as you can also then fall down a pit with imps if you're not careful if you walk down that corridor to the left.

This is great stuff by the way, my wad of the year so far. Refreshing themes and the mini-episode idea works perfectly. It allows for some varied and interesting weapon set-ups (like not giving the player the beloved super shotgun until quite late in Episode 3).

Edit: What Vile said :oP But still, might be nice to tidy up being able to fall down those pits?

The Flange Peddler said:

Edit: What Vile said :oP But still, might be nice to tidy up being able to fall down those pits?

I mentioned that and a similar situation in map18 but nothing came of it... or possibly forgotten, related again to the visual weirdness that exists in the wad if you really look hard. It's also possible to get completely stuck in map18 by implementing a shortcut, then taking a few trips around the level... see if you can find out where. ;)

map 08 is BADASS. very nice.

the overall music is cool, and the nazi replacement scared the shit out of me the first time I ran into it.

me and doom marine will surely finish it in co-op sometime, good work man!

*sigh*, yeah, it seems like more maps had not been included in their final state. I am going to update every single map to the latest version and upload again. The map02,04,14,23 anomalies etc are fixed in those versions. If there are still bugs in the latest version of the maps I wont fix them though, some flawedness is ok imo.