Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

that 'whats your favourite wad?' thread #3024-BBY-7

heres a difference:
what is your favourite 'underground' wad? as in, one that isnt popular? one that most dont even know about perhaps.

Most of Enjays little projects, especially the terrain lump ones.
But for sp it would be Marine Assault.

Haha, an original "favourite wad" idea!

My favourite wad that "may not be distributed" and is currently unavailable anywhere is probably Zomheart ("Zombie Heart of Death" by David E. Armstrong). Very weird, very cool, and pretty damned difficult.

The Fort series is nice, particularly the later ones.

I've recently been playing Beyond the Hell (amongst others from kelvinet.cz). The quality is very variable from map to map (a few too many are primitive), but some are great, and if you like your maps totally unfair, then there is plenty of enjoyment to be had here (map11 pretty much defines "ammo-deficient map" - though maxkills are possible).

Is Armadosia considered "underground"? (Probably not.)

could you kind souls, if you can, post a link to these wads? i cant seem to find them in the idgames archive.

If they are in the archive and you don't have the actual filename, then you can search for them in the database using "Title" or failing that "Whole textfile", etc.

Of those mentioned previously in this thread (but not linked), these two are in the archive:

Enjay's Marine Assault (I wouldn't consider that little-known myself, but never mind...)

Caverns of Darkness (Again, this is rather well-known, but it is literally "underground")

Note to potential posters: please don't turn this interesting thread into a "pimp my own wad" train. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if I'd class it as my favourite, or particularly underground, but I do like it.

Darkstar by Michael Krause is always worth a play IMO. It's not perfect, but it is a very good map (IMO, of course).

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10606 (plays on map05 BTW)

Another one that probably can't be described as "underground" because how can anything by NiGHTMARE truly be underground? However, it doesn't often make favourite wad lists...

Wasted 1: Industrial Zone - I really like this small map. It's Great fun for loading up for a few short minutes of Dooming before shutting down my PC. I play it so often, I may have even played it more than the original MAP01.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11832

I also played hoover damn back in my first days.
Nice pick Enjay, this thread is pulling some good stuph out.

The Patchwork Empire is a surprising amount of fun, given its means of construction. Can't be in the archive (because it is against the archive's rules, which is not the same as saying that it is illegal), and I don't imagine too many people know about it.

The Odessa series was well-known in its day, but only Odessa14 is in the archive (and it made Doomworld's 100 Best Wads list).

I'd choose the original Blastem level by Russell J. Lauzon. It's basic by todays standards, but it was one of the first custom wads I played and was pretty frantic (I had no doom skills at that time and was a 'keyboard only' player). Sorry no link, it doesn't appear to be in the archive.

The Second Hell on Jupiter by Mattias Johansson is probably a megawad very few people know about. He also made three maps for his unfinished Earth megawad (EarthB_v0.03.zip).

You can get both files here. (requires ZDoom)

Russell_P said:

the original Blastem level by Russell J. Lauzon ... Sorry no link, it doesn't appear to be in the archive.

A few of the collections at cdtextfiles.com have it - link.

[illegal stuff removed]

Extremal Doom. An unusual megawad for doom1. The author is unknown for me. One warning. The megawad is modified doom iwad so it's illegal.

Eugene said:
One warning. The megawad is modified doom iwad so it's illegal.

Then you might want to take that link down quick smart, before a mod spys it.

Lychgate for Hexen. It's a nice enough map, but it's also perfect for testing new things that I've made. Hexthief is another good one.

Extremal Doom is illegal rather by the author ignorance in contradistinction to above mentioned The Patchwork Empire. I guess that the author never heard about the id games archive and what is legal stuff there. But the megawad is simply unique. I bet that the unknown author has never seen any doom mods may be except distributed on CD in 95-96. He missed such obvious thing as ability activate switches regardless to height, never heard about st50 jumps and so on. He made a hard megawad as it was generally accepted in early year of doom - "beat a single tough monster in a small room" with tight ammo & health. But the most levels of the wad are gameplay wise and looking nice. Fragport is another striking example of wad that was made by author never heard about current state of the Doom editing at time of the wad release.

Fully legal but still underground levels.

inner_o wad by Brian Martin is one best looking levels from 95 together with tough gameplay.

Wes Burd's maps missed in the archive are nice levels.

What makes Extremal Doom such a problem is that it is an iwad (containing the id resources), and can be played by those without the real game, and makes it possible for people to play pwads without having a copy of the game at all. Regardless of the author's intentions, this is akin to warez.

The legal status of wads that include areas from the id levels is less clear-cut. Indeed, it seems that id recently clarified (in relation to KDiZD) that these are OK. As I understand it, the reason such wads have not been allowed in the archive is just to prevent a flood of slightly modified maps (such as there were in the early days) and not necessarily because they were considered outright illegal.

Back on topic, there is Henry (info here - click on "download" and scroll to the bottom of the page).