Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Higher Game

What's the best resolution to play at?

fraggle said:
I have prboom set to use "GL_NEAREST" mode because it doesn't feel right to me when the textures are antialiased.

Yeah, but you shouldn't have bothered adding that to the CFG... PrBoom doesn't use GL rendering.

Oh... my... god...

How many different "Best n' Favourite" threads, can you think of? Jeeze, I mean what's next? What's your DoomGuy's favourite colour?, What's the best looking projectile in the game? Which texture is your favourite? What lump name do you think is the funniest?

Good lord. You guys sure have too much time.

myk said:

Yeah, but you shouldn't have bothered adding that to the CFG... PrBoom doesn't use GL rendering.

Yeah it does.

Oh, and I use 1024x768. I would use higher if my monitor supported it.

AgentSpork said:
Yeah it does.

If the binary is compiled with GL support you call it GLBoob. You forgot the comma after yeah.

I presume fraggle and Spork were referring to Prboom 2.3.x (experimental), in which there is just one executable, incorporating both renderers.

Yeah... Hey, fraggle, if you fixed all the bugs send Proff and cph the fixes.

blue said:

What happens when you run doom on a widescreen?

Most ports don't support it. The picture will look distorted. You might try ZDoom which has support for widescreen modes - they really make the picture wider!

ellmo said:

Good lord. You guys sure have too much time.

Well, I don't know about the rest of the bunch here, but I sure DON'T have too much time....
Eventually my dad keeps coming home from work, so I have to surrender my Internet session to him...
And it's also bad that my personal laptop doesn't have any networking cables hooked up to it, cause I get bored offline :(

blue said:

What happens when you run doom on a widescreen?

If the resolution is a the right aspect ratio (I know it is 16 something), it SHOULD work right?

evilhomerdoomer said:

If the resolution is a the right aspect ratio (I know it is 16 something), it SHOULD work right?

1600x1000 is in proportion with the original 320x200 resolution. However, the screen's physical aspect ratio could make it look odd, regardless of the resolution. Perhaps adjusting the field of view could help with that (this feature is available in some ports).

800x600, windowed. I only really play Doom when I'm editing and it's handy to have Doom load up quickly.

800x600. If I put it any higher, I can't notice a difference. It actually seems better on 800x600 than anything else.

Crazy laptops.

(I think) It should be 320x200 for most maps, 640x400 if you need to see things farther. The reason? Seemingly the same reason that the fx sounds better at 11025-something Hz as opposed to the 60000 one. If your brain get used to a rate of output closer to the game's actual quality, (even if the output quality is much worse than current technology/reality of course) the actual game information seems less jarring. The fact that your "vision" "becomes" lower quality than reality, the actual game's jagged creatures and textures and sounds appear (well, at least MORE, lol) normal/natural. From what I've read, the original game is 16:10, right? It looks correct anyway, so that's why I choose x200/x400 and squish my crt image into a letterbox.