Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You probably don't know me that much, I don't pop in here that much in the first place. I've played Doom for over 11 years, and I am working on a couple of projects for it.

It is going to be a series of ZDOOM TCs that I hope to do...

The first one will be titled Hell in Heaven. It will be the one that will suck the most because my mapping skills aren't up to par with some of the elite mappers of Doom. There may not be much architecture, and I might focus on detail too much in one area and not enough in another, but I am focusing right on the gameplay. Inspired by the type of gameplay found in Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed, this will be a map pack filled with situations where you may not want to jump in right away.

This takes place way after any of the regular Doom games (Doom, Doom II, Final Doom and Doom 3) when UAC scientists on Earth decide to find a way to create a portal to Heaven instead of Hell.
Well, they mess up and do both.
Now Hell invades Heaven and Earth, pretty much turning it into Hell, Hell, and Hell.

Being the grandson of that very marine who fought off the demons about fifty years ago, your job is to fight off the demons (Exciting, eh?) on Earth, Heaven, and Hell.

I currently don't have any screen shots at the moment, but I'll release them when I get around to it.

For some reason, the 'heaven' idea has never really been pulled off in Doom. Good luck anyway .. maybe you can succeed :P

Well, it's a bad idea to use the word or location "heaven" in a doom mod, that makes it in some way more like a fantasy shooter... "hell" was never used for doom as the real biblical hell, more like a metapher for the place where you went by going through the dimensional portals on Phobos.

Honestly, it made me laugh when I think about doomguy killing monsters on some nifty clouds in the blue sky ;)

Nevertheless, just my thoughts. Good luck!

The same will be true for Heaven. With ZDoom's capabilities, I can certainly pull this off. Already there are some awesome effects I have added in, and yet it will still have more of a traditional Doom look in many places.

In fact I took alot of the textures from the original Doom.

I am currently debating on what music I will put into it. The music will reflect the level, for sure... and I will take it from all sorts of places...

I might release one with some MP3s in it, and another with just Midis to keep in mind that 56K is still used.

What you could do for this map is find someone who knows how to make monsters, and have them make celestial creatures that will fight with you. The celestial creatures don't have to be all angels either.

This could probably work, considering there's a "Friendly" toggle in Thing options.

I think Heaven (void world) should look like Xen from the original Half Life (I think that should be Doom 3's Heaven interpertation).

I think Heaven should look like a endless void level for ZDoom (floating cities, floating buildings, Floating Islands, ect)

Tormentor667 said:

Well, it's a bad idea to use the word or location "heaven" in a doom mod, that makes it in some way more like a fantasy shooter... "hell" was never used for doom as the real biblical hell, more like a metapher for the place where you went by going through the dimensional portals on Phobos.

From the Doom1 story: "Deimos floats above hell itself."

Or like the Ethereal Void from Ultima Underworld II.

It could be more along the lines of an astral plane too.

As I said before, it will be metaphorically a heaven. In reality, the realm is not actually heaven and the scientists merely created a portal to a different universe. The creatures that fight on your side might be colorful beings of pure energy.

I has personally been hoping that Doom 3 would have angels in it. That would make for some really cool scripted events.

Large demon rounds a corner and spots you.

Large demon charges you

Angel smashes down through ceiling, taking the demon by surprise and splitting it in half with a sword of white flame

as quickly as the angel appeared, it darts back up through the hole and out of sight.

No point in making White angels any more, Since Diablo 2 there's not possible to make a cooler looking angel than Tyrael. ;)

Indeed. Tyrael is so awesome, it must have been divine inspiration from god to the artist ^_^

kristus said:

From the Doom1 story: "Deimos floats above hell itself."

Still, that's a question about interpretation! I don't think that the word hell is used as the constant biblical place of satan and his purgatory, it's just like a metaphor!

If you define the word as "ITSELF" then it's pretty obvious you're not talking about a metaphore.