Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sitters

Gamestudio a6

me. There's a tool to convert the doom maps to quake .map format. You can open quake .map files easy in 3d gamestudio. But they might need some editing. I dont think it's possible to use the wad file and just run those maps (wdl code is limited).

More advanced would be using it's DLL plugin feature. Then you can program a wad handler in c++ and calling the DLL from your WDL code. But that's quite hard to do (i never tried that to).

I actually made a doom game once, i totally remade E1M1, added a little more detail to it and used the MD2 models from sourceports as monsters (I converted them to MDL using MED). I did the HUD from WDL coding (the health, armor and the face looking around). But this was in 3dgs 5.

edit:
Use XWE to export all the doom textures to .BMP format. Then import those to your 3dgs .wad. NOTE: Doom wad files are totally different then 3d gamestudio .wad files!!

robindegen said:

me. There's a tool to convert the doom maps to quake .map format. You can open quake .map files easy in 3d gamestudio. But they might need some editing. I dont think it's possible to use the wad file and just run those maps (wdl code is limited).

More advanced would be using it's DLL plugin feature. Then you can program a wad handler in c++ and calling the DLL from your WDL code. But that's quite hard to do (i never tried that to).

I actually made a doom game once, i totally remade E1M1, added a little more detail to it and used the MD2 models from sourceports as monsters (I converted them to MDL using MED). I did the HUD from WDL coding (the health, armor and the face looking around). But this was in 3dgs 5.

edit:
Use XWE to export all the doom textures to .BMP format. Then import those to your 3dgs .wad. NOTE: Doom wad files are totally different then 3d gamestudio .wad files!!

Do you still have that game ?
I am curious about the speed, dynamic lightning, real 3d environment, particles etc.

Greetings.

Edit : If it is great, the maybe it is a good investment 900 dollar for the prof. version, then you also can shipping the editor.

i still have it, but it only seems to work with 3d gs 5, after i installed 6 it didnt work anymore (and i didnt take the time to port it).

It's made in the pro version, and has colored lighting. But not real dynamic (as in, it doesnt move, and the shadows that 3dgs casts live aren't that great). It runs at high speed, i could add like 100 monsters in my test map and it still ran fine.

3D gamestudio is an ok engine, but i wouldn't recommend it for someone who's really serious about making one. The graphics aren't that nice in the pro version (comparible to half life). It can't really handle terrains, it's shadows are bad, and the models cant have high quality. They're more like the quake quality. Plus all the movements need to be saved in the model (taking up space, and limiting movements)

If you're actually serious about making a game (and releasing it), i wouldn't go for 3d Gamestudio. I moved on to the torque engine (it's 100$). It's way better, and the scripting is easier:

http://www.garagegames.com/pg/product/view.php?id=1

The only downside is that it's opengl (60 hertz screen). Tribes 2 uses this engine (but it has been updated a lot since then).

If you're going for real graphics, then get Torque Shader Engine. It uses the latest directx 9 technology. You need to buy the original Torque engine to buy this one but (as you can read on their site), they're planning to bundle it for 295$

http://www.garagegames.com/mg/projects/tse/

You may not charge anything for these games, but you can't charge for the 3d Gamestudio games either w/o a commercial lisence. I think it was about 5000$ to 10.000$ to commercially release a 3d gamestudio game. And it's "only" $995 for the directx 9 torque shader engine. You will get the engine's source code, so making a doom source port is possible in this to (c++ knowledge and visual c++ 6 required). The normal Torque engine is for windows, linux and mac, the shader engine is only for windows.

As i did, you can use the 3d gamestudio map editor (if you like it). Then just save it as a .map file. Then use a free tool to convert .map files to the torque format (you can also use hammer/worldcraft)

Another good engine is Crystal Space 3D:
http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-view_articles.php

It's completely free, opensource and better then 3d gamestudio. Allthough it's a bit harder to use (requires c++ knowledge) it's very possible to create a doom source port in this. Available for a lot of platforms: windows, linux, mac, openbsd and with some work even ps2 and xbox (this might need the dev tools for these consoles though)

note:
sorry for the long story, i've spend allmost 2 years finding the perfect engine to make my game in. I've seen a lot. I'm going for torque, the shader engine is a bit out of my budget for the moment. I'm going to make my game in torque, and if it turns out something i'll go for the shader engine (w/o changes in your code it will still work)

Thanks for the info robindegen,

I have download the Torque Demo and I am very impressed.
I think its a very good engine to make a game. It has everything what you need for a good FPS. But making a game is a lot of work for one person, you must make models, textures, levels , scripts and you must ship a editor with it or use a free one. I think it is more teamwork then for one person to make a good game.

Greetings.

Offcourse it is. Scripting for torque is easy and it ships with a lot of tutorials and starter kits to base your game on. Hammer is a free map editor to easily make your torque models in (yes models!). In case you didnt know, the map editor for torque is build in. Just play the demo fps, press ~ and type toggleeditor(1); . That starts the easiest map editor i've ever seen. You can make the buildings in 3d gamestudio's map editor (like i do) or in the free hammer (hammer is made for quake and half life, but the lisence allows you to use it for torque to)

And... I got much more out of it then the demo is showing ^_^

yes, i have a 40 mb demo of a test rpg in it. Believe it or not, but i used 3dgs WED to make all the models in there. Because i'm planning to make my own MMORPG in torque.

I have an old screenshot on my website, which shows a full .map file loaded into torque (with some hud changes etc.)

http://www.dgmproductions.org/projects/3dgstest.JPG

These textures aren't mine, full credit of that goes to the Planeshift dev team.

If you want i'll try to upload my latest test in it. It includes some high resolution models made in lightwave converted to the torque .dts format, nicer water effects (i didnt like the water they used in the demo at all, much to cartoony). The demo game shows a small grassy land, i covered my whole terrain with different types of plants (this does need atleast a 128mb video card), and i placed some mirrors. It's basicly a demo app for the engine to which takes it to it's limits (the official demo game doesnt). And i found out that the model and map detail isn't limited in the engine, it's limited in your videocard (low fps). Allthough i still got a 150+ fps with a doom 3 quality model (ati radeon 9800xt 256 mb, it wasnt moving yet though)

I don't have the sourcecode lisence yet, but by stripping down the demo game you can do just as much as you can do if you dont change the actual engine source code. So basicly you can make yourself a free game, it's allowed, you're just not allowed to release it. Open the .cs files in the data folders in notepad, or use the special program for it called TribalIDE (it highlights etc.)

I just remembered, if you want to save even more money try the free opensource modelling program Blender on http://www.blender.org/ . It's just as good as 3ds max from my experiance and it can export to torque as well. Here's a table of what programs you can use for torque.

http://www.alexswanson.com/torque/dts/

I might even know more ways to save money in a legal way if I think about it a little more (this happens when you try creating games with a low or no budget ^_^)

I play a little bit with the world editor, it is a object orientated editor I think, so you must make the buildings and everything in other programs till they are objects and then you can place them in the world. One thing maybe it is a mistake of the demo but I can place my crossbow in the wall, can’t you program the collision in the engine ?.
Do you have a download for your demo, or you can sent it to sitters@kpn-officedsl.nl but the box is only 50MB big.

Greetings.

sitters said:

I play a little bit with the world editor, it is a object orientated editor I think, so you must make the buildings and everything in other programs till they are objects and then you can place them in the world. One thing maybe it is a mistake of the demo but I can place my crossbow in the wall, can’t you program the collision in the engine ?.
Do you have a download for your demo, or you can sent it to sitters@kpn-officedsl.nl but the box is only 50MB big.

Greetings.

Oh you're dutch to ^_^.

The collision works fine, but it's disabled in the map editor for more freedom in map editor. Also, the demo has some bugs. You can move your crossbow in a wall, but this is not torque, this is just the way it's mounted on the player and how the collision is set for the weapon (it doesnt have any in the demo).

You're right about the world editor. All the buildings are objects (.DIF files, you can convert .map files to those, but also complicated 3ds max/blender shapes). The moving models are .DTS shapes (they can have bone animation). A good thing about this method is for big maps, you can repeat things in a smart way, without it taking up more space and it's faster. But somebody has made a code once that it will just load a .map file, you can get those things from the garagegames website. It's a "tutorial" that tells you accactly what to change in the engine's source code, and it will work.

robindegen said:

Oh you're dutch to ^_^.

Ja, ik zit in west braband. Ik wil in de toekomst toch eens een 3d engine voor doom maken, maar het punt is, wil het een beetje aanslaan dan willen ze natuurlijk de zelfde editor gebruiken (doom builder ) en dat kost een hoop programmeer werk. Ik programmeer wel in c maar dat is meestal voor embedded software en voor de PC programmeer ik meestal in delphi.

groeten.

volgend jaar kom ik op de hts, en dan ga ik c++ leren (ook embedded systems). Kheb net m'n havo gehaald (10 minuten geleden) ^_^

Proficiat,

I go on in English before we get comments.
For me is school a century ago, I am a old fellow that has a hobby, playing around with graphics and making levels for doomsday. And in real life I making hardware and software for companies with my one small company.

Greetings.

i've been doing it since i was about 11, on my first pc. I did a lot with 3d engines (some 2d to). I made a 2d platform game in qbasic once, but when it got bigger, it got to slow (on that pc, now it runs way to fast).

edit:
i'll recompile and repack that demo program and see if i can send it.

robindegen said:

i've been doing it since i was about 11, on my first pc. I did a lot with 3d engines (some 2d to). I made a 2d platform game in qbasic once, but when it got bigger, it got to slow (on that pc, now it runs way to fast).

edit:
i'll recompile and repack that demo program and see if i can send it.

Can you send it ?