Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
consolehack

Original retail doom on xp - static sounds

Hi. Some of you may still have the original retail doom on floppy disk, and you may know that when you play it, the sounds are all static and fu++ed up. Does anyone know how to fix it so it will run perfect on xp?

I dont like source ports. Skulltag takes all originallity from the game. I have a friend who has xp, and he didn't need a port. He loaded it from ms-dos or something that way, but he had to set it up.

When you registered, were you not directed to this thread?

I know of very few (if any) instances of people getting the sound to work correctly within XP. A dual boot is the preferred method (so you're not actually running it within XP at all), but involves some technical know-how. Anyway, the thread linked to contains some ideas, but don't expect good results within XP. When I use doom2.exe within XP, I always turn sound effects off, or else use the PC Speaker for them (awful, but arguably better than nothing).

The ports that give the option of keeping the game behaviour closest to the original game (to the extent of being able to play back Doom(2).exe demos) are Prboom and Eternity.

No, AFAIK everything should be fine in Win98. (Though I vaguely recall someone saying something about problems in certain versions of Win98 - I don't recall details, and it might be a figment of my imagination.)

If you're using a Creative Labs sound card newer than an AWE32, you'll potentially have problems in any version of Windows, even '95.

Back when I was using '95 and '98 I managed to get sound to work properly by enabling SB16 emulation in config.sys, but I'm not sure whether this will work in XP (since it has far less DOS support).

You could try using DOSBox: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

VDM Sound or SoundFX 2000 are pretty good sound emulators if you don't mind a very slight lag.

NiGHTMARE said:
If you're using a Creative Labs sound card newer than an AWE32, you'll potentially have problems in any version of Windows, even '95.

Indeed, on Windows 95/98/ME Doom will work if set up properly, but the thing is the sound card: you need an ISA Sound Blaster. Some other cards (like onboard sound) can work too, but they aren't always 100% reliable (Doom can freeze occasionally.)

Nick, you say AWE32 to generalize, or the AWE64 can have issues too?

consolehack said:
Does anyone know how to fix it so it will run perfect on xp?

Some have said they got it to work right using sound emulators... but many said they couldn't, so I'm not sure if it can be perfect. When on XP the best choice for a plain DOOM setup is a released-source based engine with the proper settings (might take some knowledge of all the settings) or an older user-edited engine, like Windoom. Doom95 will work too, but without mouse support.

myk said:

Nick, you say AWE32 to generalize, or the AWE64 can have issues too?

It's just a guess, based on the fact Creative included SB16 emulation drivers with their more recent cards, but no AWE32 or AWE64 emulation drivers. Plus the AWE32 was the final Creative card released during the DOS-era :).

If you use FAT on your hard disk, keep the original binaries on a directory there. Windows XP has the ability to format a floppy disk <b>and</b> make it an MS-DOS disk (Specifically same version of WinMe, aka MS-DOS 7.2 or 8.0).

From there, you could simply boot MS-DOS from the floppy disk and play it from there without multi-boot schemes (they work, but many people have trouble doing them).

This only works for people using FAT. If you use NTFS, you can get the free NTFSDOS to read from NTFS drives, or you can buy Partition Commander/Magic to convert to FAT (I'd recommend the first solution, it's not as dangerous as NTFS->FAT conversion).

there's a sound emulator for windows 2000 and xp to use the sounds in windows (just set the game to soundblaser and it's default settings). This worked for me when i was "modding" wolf3d back in the days, should work for doom to. I'll post again if somebody is interested in it (i forgot the name of it :P)