Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killingblair

Help With Deluxe Paint 4 Please! (Oldskool Alert)

Hi there! I'm really intrested in Deluxe Paint 4 becase, well, I'm intrested in Pixel Art. Also, Deluxe Paint 4 is what the Doom artests used to create all their graphics. Sadly, I have no clue where to begin. I recently found out how to save and load, but thats it. Can anybody give me a crash course on how to use this powerful tool? Or, direct me to a site that can help me? Thanks!

The DPaint manual is apparently available online for download, but the only sites I have seen want to charge me for a copy!

I did find these a while back. Don't know how many versions of DPaint they apply to, but you may find them useful.

D Paint Keys
[Technique]
F1 - Paint
F2 - Single Colour
F3 - Replace
F4 - Smear
F5 - Shade
F6 - Cycle
F7 - Smooth
M - Colour Cycle
[Brush]
B - Restore
O - Outline
h - Halve brush size
H - Double brush size
x - Flip brush on X axis
X - Double brush size on X axis only
y - Flip on Y
Y - Double on Y
z - Rotate brush 90 degrees
Z - Strech
[Stencil]
` - Stencil On
[Miscellaneous]
F9 - Info Bar
F10 - Selection Bar
@o - Co-Ordinates
@a - Anti-alias
@r - Colourise
@t - Translucent
TAB - Colour Cycle
[Picture]
L - Load
S - Save
j - Page to Spare(Flip)
J - Page to Spare(Copy)
V - View Page
Q - Quit
[General Keys]
m - Magnify
< - Zoom In
> - Zoom Out
[ - Palette Colour Up
] - Palette Colour Down
( - Palette Colour Left
) - Palette Colour Right
, - Eye Dropper
. - Pixel / Brush Toggle
/ - Symmetry
| - Co-Ordinates
INS - Perspective Control
+/- - Brush Size (Fine Control)
w - Unfilled Polygon
W - Filled Polygon
e - Unfilled Ellipse
E - Filled Ellipse
r - Unfilled Rectangle
R - Filled Rectangle
t - Type/text tool
a - Select Font
u/U - Undo
d - Brush
D - Filled Non-Uniform Polygon
f/F - Fill Options
g/G - Grid
h/H - Brush Size (Coarse Control)
K - Clear
c - Unfilled Circle
C - Filled Circle
v - Line
b - Scissor Select and Toggle
B - Brush
{,} - Toggle between two background colours

No, it pre-dates Windows by quite some time and went out of production a long time ago. It wasn't even originally for the PC. There have been a few programs that claim to feel like and offer the features of DPaint under Windows but none of them really do IMO.

damn, i know it's a lot older... i think it was called eh ..damn forgot the name again. Well one of the first GUI systems ever.

killingblair said:

...you can use Amiga Emulater to use it. But you're going to need to find some Kickstart ROM substatutes. Downloading the real ones are illegal.

Or you could just get the PC version which doesn't need an emulator. I use DP under XP and it works fine.

IIRC, the animation feature was built into all the Amiga versions, but the PC version didn't have it. I think the most up to date PC version was called Deluxe Paint Enhanced II. That was the basic paint package with the animation ripped out. However, DPaint animator was also available on the PC - I have a copy somewhere - and from memory it had the editing features of DPaint and the animation features. I hink it was version IV or something but I'd have to find it first and check to be certain.

For me, the only significant limit on DPaint is that it doesn't support any format with more than 256 colours. However, for sprite work, that's usually fine.

killingblair said:

Yes, but Deluxe Paint Enhanced II is harder to find then Noah's Ark. :(

heh, i have that program. and still use it at times. photoshop just doenst cut it always.

robindegen said:

do you have the pc version? If anybody has it,... could he/she please mail it to robindegen@gmail.com? Please? *begs*

sure ;) but its called Delux Paint II Enhanced. is that the same as Delux Paint Enhanced II? :S