Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

game movies

somtimes games are killed when they are made into movies, ok almost always. but sometimes it is better to make a game into a anime like movie. I mean i dont think i would like a doom movie with real actors, and final fantasy would have sucked with real people. However if doom was made into an anime, minus the gay ass magic, i think i would like it alot. the wierd part is i am not a big anime fan, infact i dont even have or watch anything from japan. I must ask about a good game that was made into such a movie, SIN. Have any of u seen it, it caught my attention when i bought the heavy metal 2000 movie and game early this year

However if doom was made into an anime, minus the gay ass magic, i think i would like it alot.

Anime's mostly a drawing/animation style, not a short word for "fluffy creatures with big teardrops that like to jump too damn high". Ghost in the Shell, one of the most famous anime movies is as serious as a Hollywood movie. Even more, actually.

somtimes games are killed when they are made into movies, ok almost always.

Yeah, you're right. Should I list them? Super Mario Bros., Double Dragon, Street Fighter...nevermind, I won't get started..there's too many. However, I think the main problem with crappy game movies is the fact that they aren't produced by people who KNOW the game, but rather producers/writers that are hired on the basis that they were good producers/writers for something else. This obviously doesn't always work. If the producers took the time to figure out exactly HOW the movies should be done to keep loyal to both the fans and the game, there wouldn't be a problem...well, most of the time. I posted a topic concerning a doom movie over in the Doom 3 thread (sorry zaldron, i know it was off-topic) and everyone blasted it. I don't think the question is whether it could be a good movie or not. I think it is a matter of how people would percieve the environment after playing the game. I mean, after playing the FPS version where YOU are the character and it's YOU that is getting the s--t scared out of you, it would feel a little weird to take a back-seat to the action while sitting in a comfy movie-theater seat, stuffing yourself with popcorn, and tossing back a coke. Point? IMO, a good Doom movie COULD be made if the production invovled the gods at Id and they had a large enough budget.

I don't think any game got butchered by a movie more than Mortal Kombat. Fucking christ, I never saw a lamer movie in my life.

Bad idea.... it would still likely bite -_- even game-based anime movies usually aren't very good. IT isn't that the anime can't deal on serious subjects, it's just that there usually isn't enough for an 'engaging plot to hold the audience'. IT'd likely just tarnish DOOM's rep -_-

I don't much care for anime...the only anime I've ever sen that was halfway descent was Record of the Lodos War. I do however kind of like animation, the most recent example was Shrek (fukin' awesome). Heavy Metal was pretty cool, but I let my friends borrow it once and now they keep pestering me about how horribly awful it was and how its my favorite movie (neither is true, not by a long shot). The Wizards was pretty cool, but the animation was lacking and the live action/animation melding that Bakshi was famous for was really stupid. A remake of the movie would rule. Lord of the Rings was just straigt-out horrible.

Bottom Line: Animation is an awesome medium, letting the creator do whatever he pleases. However, few take it seriously, and it is rarely ever put to its full potential.

orion: I dunno, Mortal Combat was good, as game movies go. The only one I really like is Super Mario Bros. I don't know why...

Red: 'Tarnish Doom's rep'...yeah, I'd have to agree with that. The Mario franchise was the only one that ever survived a movie. Think about it...as soon as the movie came out, no-one ever played those games anymore.

orion: I dunno, Mortal Combat was good, as game movies go. The only one I really like is Super Mario Bros. I don't know why...

You must not have seen the episode I saw, seriously, you didn't. I've seen some mario movies, and the shittyness does not compare. I forget the exact name of the sequel, but god damn it was the lamest movie. Once upon a time I thought the Spawn movie was shit, god was I wrong.

The Sonic Movie (the anime) was okay... one of the better game-to-anime attempts I think. They changed way too much stuff, but it had a plot, it had comedy, even a little drama (feel kinda sorry for Metal....). I -liked- the little swatbot guy who kept holding signs and having to run away. And we have better portrails of the characters.... Tails is happy and obviously young, but (as he should be) also a good inventor. Sonic is not obsessed with any type of meat by-product (wouldn't it be an offense to all animal kind? Especially in the US comics.... with the sentient pigs and all).

Super Mario Bros. was entertaining, but it didn't hold true to the original story...and what was up with the enemy character designs? Damn, those goombas with the tall bodies and shrunken lizard heads really p---ed me off...

You must not have seen the episode I saw, seriously, you didn't. I've seen some mario movies, and the shittyness does not compare. I forget the exact name of the sequel, but god damn it was the lamest movie. Once upon a time I thought the Spawn movie was shit, god was I wrong.

I'm talking about the live action one with Dennis Hopper as Koopa. It was strange, yet entertaining. And unlike Double Dragon, it wasn't all that corny.

Super Mario Bros. was entertaining, but it didn't hold true to the original story...and what was up with the enemy character designs? Damn, those goombas with the tall bodies and shrunken lizard heads really p---ed me off...

Yeah, I don't know what the writers were smoking, it was really off the game...but at least Mario was still an Italian plummer.

Yeah, I don't know what the writers were smoking, it was really off the game...but at least Mario was still an Italian plummer.

They couldn't have gotten anyone better to play as mario and luigi, and possibly the princess...Wait, what does this have to do with Doom?

I saw the SiN movie. In fact, I bought it. Which really sucks, because nobody with any sense will buy it back from me. I was halfway to gouging out my own eyes after seeing that piece of shit. Seriously, if you haven't seen the SiN movie, spare yourself some pain and don't.

I don't think there's been a decent game-based movie anywhere, even in Japan as an anime. Let's see... Street Fighter, Street Fighter V, Fatal Fury, the Final Fantasy OAVs... all major suckage. Frankly, games simply cannot translate into movies without losing the essence of the game. Simply because movies are not interactive. That's the long and short of it: take away the player and the play-ability, and most game stories and scenarios are worthless. Same way with turning games into movies, you lose the character... but that's a whole 'nother thread.

I gotta be honest, I really didn't "get" Ghost in the Shell. I was a cool movie and all, but I couldn't really get into the moral they were trying to impart. Maybe I should read the manga.

However if doom was made into an anime, minus the gay ass magic, i think i would like it alot.

...Huh? "Gay-ass magic?" Where did you get that?

I gotta be honest, I really didn't "get" Ghost in the Shell. I was a cool movie and all, but I couldn't really get into the moral they were trying to impart. Maybe I should read the manga.

Oh, you should definitely read the manga. It is a more in depth look at the plot considering that it is the original story that the anime movie was based on. It contains all the nitty-gritty details that they didn't have time to put into the anime, so you shouldn't have any diffficulty in figuring it out. if you do, tell me and i'll explain it...

I've never seen "ghost in the shell" but the only anime movie i really liked was akira. Kinda strange but an interesting movie anyway.

Hmmm, I've suggested a few times that maybe if the DOOM movie was based on the first novel, the guys at id could tweak it here and there in order to make a better script, and I'm fine with that. But if they do decide to make it, everybody knows what to expect, and that spoils the fun, not to mention making it boring and crappy. IMO, it shouldn't be just the Doomguy killing a bunch of monsters. There should be at least 2 or 3 marines, one being a comic relief (Gunny Goforth, anyone?)

I've never seen "ghost in the shell" but the only anime movie i really liked was akira. Kinda strange but an interesting movie anyway.

Yes, Akira has to be one of the best anime's ever produced. The graphic novel is even better, same with Ghost in the Shell. Anyone alse see that new Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust? Damn awesome, people, damn awesome...

I think he's talking about the Doom comics.

think sailor moon

I think he's talking about the Doom comics.

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO!

There should be at least 2 or 3 marines, one being a comic relief (Gunny Goforth, anyone?)

NO
I don't care if there is more than one marine (though it would be interresting to see the movie from the first point perspective of the single marine), but no comic relief. That is the absolute quickest way to kill a frightening/serious movie like Doom should be.

[quote]

There should be at least 2 or 3 marines, one being a comic relief (Gunny Goforth, anyone?)

It was YOU that suggested having JarJar Binks, wasn't it?

and final fantasy would have sucked with real people

but it did suk

They couldn't have gotten anyone better to play as mario and luigi

well maybe if they got an italian person to play an italian plumber...

also, i dont see how you cant like mortal kombat. sure the second one suked but the first one was really good. just because a movie doesnt follow the story to what its based on doesnt make it a bad movie.

When I mentioned Ghost in the Shell I wasn't really talking about if you like it or not, I was just pointing the fact that there is no Gay-ass magic in there...

I reckon that one game that would survive the transition to a movie would be Deus Ex. It'd just be like translating a novel almost - alot of detail will be left out but it will still be highly entertaining. If they do make it, I hope they use the ending where JC merges with the AI (can't remember it's name)... The other endings were Too Hollywood and Too "Escape From L.A." (does any one else agree that Escape From L.A. sucked major ass?)

games is a really broad area. when you talk about making a game to movie all you seem to consider are fps and games that have allready been made to movies. i allways thought that making a movie out of a fighting game where you have no story or charicter history to go with seems kinda stupid, however i really like mortal kombat and street fighter, but i seem to be alone on that. i allways thought that an rpg would make a really good movie but then i saw final fantasy and it suked. of course final fantasy didnt have any story or charicters to follow either since all the games are completely different. if you've ever played under a killing moon or one of its sequals i think that they would make a good movie since most of the game is movie anyway.

I agree with what Prime said in his first post, that th eproblem with many game movies is that the people who make 'em know zero about the game.
In my view, you have to love something to want to make a film about it. I'd happily make a Doom movie... because i love Doom.
I appreciate what Crendowing said about having to have more charcters than just Doomguy, but I think the single-player mood is a brilliant thing, rather than a limitation. Let's not forget the dead marines that littered E1, imagine how powerful a moment it would be to have Doomguy all alone in, say, Plant, looking at all his dead buddies having just managed to obtain 5 minutes peace. I'm sure we all had periods in the game initially when we just went back to a done part of the level and just looked around... at the buildings, architecture, dead monsters and thought... wow, I'm living this, I have a hand in this. Doom was the first game for me where I could really feel immersed... as a single player, and I think any movie should be a celebration of that.

[sarcasm]Hmmmm, yeah....no dialouge, shitty plot movement (if any at all), just one guy shooting hellspawn (Freds, whatever), and about the only words are "DIE DEMON! DIE!!!!" along with the various sound effects......yep, definitely worthy of an Oscar.[/sarcasm]

an SC movie would probably look a bit like Starship Troopers with added Protoss if you ask me...

StarCraft the Movie, if done well, would be, yes, similar to ST, but it would be also more on the lines of a futuristic war epic with a very dramatized plot. StarCraft had alot of backstory explaining the links, causes, effects, and catastrophies of each race which explains their actions. This would be an extremely serious film, unlike the half-witted plot of ST. It would need top notch special effects (ILM), music (John Williams), and direction (pick a director)...perhaps Ridley Scott...