• Requiem
    • Eternal Doom 3
    • Alien Vendetta
    • Strain
    • Community Chest 2
    • Icarus - Alien Vanguard
    • Hell Revealed
    • Kama Sutra

OMG it's Paul Corfiatis! :D Bout time you registered.
As for the megawad selection, I can't really pick just one. If the poll had multiple selections then I'd choose Scythe and Scythe2, and AV. The rest are just so-so to me or ones that I haven't played yet.

DooMBoy said:

OMG it's Paul Corfiatis! :D Bout time you registered.

That's what I was going to say! :-) Welcome Paul!

Av is my pick.

AV is my pick for the overall quality, then the Scythes come close. All the other ones have great maps but also shitty ones.

HR by a short head over KS and AV. I give HR the nod partly because it inspired so many other great projects.

The list is incomplete. If I had to choose among 32 level WADs for any port I'd choose Daedalus but on that list Scythe 2 clearly wins.

A megawad is 20 levels or more according to the idgames archive (so it seems to imply at least 2 full episodes.)

I can't say exactly which may favorite is... I like AV, MM and... TVR! (it's missing!) a lot.

Scythe II of course :P
It's kind of unfair to compare boom wads with vanilla wads though.

Scythe 2. It's one of the very, very few megawads I've actually managed to beat without going completely insane from boredom. Another one of my personal favorites would have to be DSV4 and 5 by Kaiser.

AV gets my #2 spot.. My most favorite megawad is actually Heroes2.wad...

Nothing beats AV, with Scythe 1 coming second. Who added Kama Sutra and Hell Revealed to the poll above?, arrghh!. I didnt really want to include Hell Revealed style wads.

pcorf said:

I didnt really want to include Hell Revealed style wads.

Erm, that would have disqualified AV then...

NiGHTMARE said:
Erm, that would have disqualified AV then...

I'd say AV is Plutonia styled, for the most part.

Well, the people who made AV certainly intended it to be an HR style wad :).

And lets not forget certain Scythe 1 & 2 levels are rather HR-like as well...

Icarus was my pick, really, I like a lot of those up there, and of course AV was radical, but I just think that the atmosphere in Icarus was good, and it had the same out-of-the-box ideas as Final Doom, which I really liked, besides from it's release, but you can never beat overly vulgar quit messages!

Among the best megawads ever, I'd like to suggest two more additions:

1. TVR!, by Thomas van der Velden. An originally underrated wad that became much beloved by the demo community for its solid gameplay and unique design.

2. Rebirth, by Björn Ostmann. Another great wad for pretty much the same reasons.

You can tell that I don't care enough to pick an absolute favorite. When one of these threads shows up (again) I think it's better to highlight the many classics that have graced our doom dirs over the years.

NiGHTMARE said:

Well, the people who made AV certainly intended it to be an HR style wad :).

And lets not forget certain Scythe 1 & 2 levels are rather HR-like as well...

From the av txt:
"What started out as a pure "Hell Revealed" follower balanced out to be something in-between that and a more classic looking megawad. We decided to put more emphasize on detailed architecture while trying to keep the at times ultra hard gameplay in focus. Admittedly recreating the intensity of "Hell Revealed" while trying to create
more commonly scaled maps turned out to be quite a challenge. As a result the hardness was tuned down a bit, and fun gameplay became more important than making it as hard as possible."

Not sure I agree Nick :} Polls are amusing but silly. Wads stx mentioned should definitely be up there in any case.