Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom Comes to the Playstation Portable

Since it's one of the most hacked, messed, and experimented with pieces of consumer electronics since the TiVo, I wasn't too surprised to see a version of Doom for the Playstation Portable (PSP) released. Of course, it isn't perfect, but apparently it runs. This might make those of you who've sprung for one a bit happier.

hah cool.
Had some hands-on with the psp lately, and I must say I am impressed. Especially with memory stick support.
Things like this will happen a lot because of such support.
Hell I would not be surprised if the so called "Universal" Media Disks get cycled out for the more open and therefor fun alternative.

Caco-Puff said:

How do I install it?

If you have an American PSP with v1.51 or later of the firmware, don't expect to be able to run it. If it's v1.50, then there's a new exploit available (it's a swap trick and requires two mem cards), but you'll have to find that yourself. Then follow the instructions on how to use it.

If it's a v1.0 firmware (Japanese only), then you can simply copy the .ebp (maybe epb?) to the /psp/games/[game folder you make] directory, put the data files there, and run it. No swapping required since the 1.0 firmware is full of holes.

I downloaded this the other day but haven't tried it yet. I just got my 1.50 firmware running my Genesis emu.

Sweet!
Although I updated to 1.51

I'll wait until a 1.51 version.
I was wondering when that would happen.
Mmm, Darkening 2 and AV on PSP...

Bah,Is there any way to do it on an American PSP without the swapping trick? I bought mine the day it came out so it probably has 1.50. That and I only have 1 mem stick.I dont see why Sony would be against people using the PSP to play freeware games.

It's buggy as hell and has really horrible sound support. "Not Perfect", heh.

Caco-Puff said:

Bah,Is there any way to do it on an American PSP without the swapping trick? I bought mine the day it came out so it probably has 1.50. That and I only have 1 mem stick.I dont see why Sony would be against people using the PSP to play freeware games.

Not yet. The exploit just came out the day before yesterday. You can check the firmware version in that home menu thingie, though.

footman said:

When I read the title, I thought PSX Doom was ported to PSP.

BlackFish said:

Finally a reason to play on that psp. Does it suppost pwads?

You can most likely embed them into your doom2.wad if you want to play like AV or something

Could this be the answer for totally portable Doom?
Cept playing without a mouse would be wierd...

There is a 1.51 swaploit, but you need three memorysticks.

Pwads are runnable too, sort of. You have to edit the supplied doom2.wad file with the new content, but I think it only works with replacing the old things not with new added things. BTW, Heretic is playable too: http://files.psphacker.com/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,12,425 I am not sure how playable, but the concept is believeable.
Installation for hereticPSP: You have to rename the heretic.wad to doom2.wad and replace the old doom2.wad.
I thought I shouldn't bother the Doomworld newscrew with this, like I did with DooMPSP.

BBG said:

I'm sure that there will be an official Doom port for the PSP.

And we all know that in spite of the storage and pure processing capabilities of the PSP, some wackjob company will throw together a sloppy version of UDoom with missing/chopped levels, graphics on par with the original if we're lucky and a capped framerate.
</rant>