Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kelzam

An Idea Regarding Editing and the Internet

The last few days at work I've really wanted to beable to pull up at Doom editor and map, because there is alot of down time here during the summer. I came up with an idea, and I don't know anything about programming or the possibilities of it, so I thought I'd post it here and see if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or knowledge of this sort of thing.

Is it at all possible to build a webpage where users would register and have their own account, and then log-in to an online Doom editor where they can map for their account only, then save the wad to a server and beable to log in later and open up their work to work on it again, or beable to save it from the website's server to their desktop or to disk so they can beable to map wherever they go?

This seems to me like it would be an awesome idea if it's possible, but as I said, I don't even know if it's possible as I don't know much about programming and personally I don't know much more than basic html coding and I use Dreamweaver to put together websites.

It's possible in Flash, but it'd only hold any merit if it were a feature set specifically for a Doom clone written in Flash. Which is entirely possible, and could be fun.

That reminds me: in Skulltag Online, does the program search for PWADS on the idgames database, or your harddrive?

While this would be nice (would give me something to do at school)I really don't see how it would be possible to create anything much more complex than DETH. Certainly nothing as complex as DB could be created, and for that reason it probably wouldn't see much use.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Certainly nothing as complex as DB could be created

Sure it could. DB's (which was written in VB, mind) innovation lies in the UI features. With as much dedication as CodeImp, you could write it in any language. The hardest part would be referencing the source code and figuring out how to generate WAD files.

.NET allows you to write server-side controls in three languages. Pick one.

I'll take you at your word on that. It's just that I have a hard time seeing stuff like 3D mode running at a decent speed from a webpage.

You can always just burn the necessary programs and files onto a CD and then just carry it around with you, instead of having to undergo hassle involving bandwidth and hosting. And since when is "beable" an existent term?

Funny, I was just thinking along similar lines recently. I've been programming graphical Java applet/servlet stuff at work, and the thought of making a web based editor occurred to me. The fun thing would be allowing stuff like collaborative editing, where two or more people could work on the same wad simultaneously. A 3D mode is probably out of the question without requiring people to download and install Java3D first.

It'd certainly be a fun project for anyone with enough spare time. A better idea might just be to build a client/server editing plugin for Doom Builder though.

insertwackynamehere said:

it may be possible in something like java, but would be really slow probably.

wrong. You can port doombuilder as OCX file. Internet Explorer and firefox can run these files. It will download them with the famous Yes No screen. But this is as fast as doombuilder itself

Jonathan said:

Funny, I was just thinking along similar lines recently. I've been programming graphical Java applet/servlet stuff at work, and the thought of making a web based editor occurred to me. The fun thing would be allowing stuff like collaborative editing, where two or more people could work on the same wad simultaneously. A 3D mode is probably out of the question without requiring people to download and install Java3D first.

It'd certainly be a fun project for anyone with enough spare time. A better idea might just be to build a client/server editing plugin for Doom Builder though.

Yeah it'd have alot of benefits if it could be done right. The main thing is not having to download anything to use it, hence why I said a server you can save your work on when you're done so you can get it later when you're at home. It would really kill some time especially like right now. I'm an Internet Tech Support Rep. and it's Sunday and we have hardly any calls all day. It'd give me something to do, as well as many others I'm sure.

Xenphire said:

The last few days at work I've really wanted to beable to pull up at Doom editor and map, because there is alot of down time here during the summer. I came up with an idea, and I don't know anything about programming or the possibilities of it, so I thought I'd post it here and see if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or knowledge of this sort of thing.

Is it at all possible to build a webpage where users would register and have their own account, and then log-in to an online Doom editor where they can map for their account only, then save the wad to a server and beable to log in later and open up their work to work on it again, or beable to save it from the website's server to their desktop or to disk so they can beable to map wherever they go?

This seems to me like it would be an awesome idea if it's possible, but as I said, I don't even know if it's possible as I don't know much about programming and personally I don't know much more than basic html coding and I use Dreamweaver to put together websites.

Wait, what? I don't see the point in what you're describing. Why go to the hassle of loading up a website, signing in, downloading whatever applet or whatever is needed to run the editor, then downloading the map you've been working on, when you can load up an editor (like Doom Builder) and load from hard drive? Seriously, I really don't see the point in your idea.

zarkyb said:

Wait, what? I don't see the point in what you're describing. Why go to the hassle of loading up a website, signing in, downloading whatever applet or whatever is needed to run the editor, then downloading the map you've been working on, when you can load up an editor (like Doom Builder) and load from hard drive? Seriously, I really don't see the point in your idea.

Because most places like a public library, work place, etc. DONT ALLOW DOWNLOADS, let alone installing software in public or company computers. If a person is too lazy to log into a server and load up an applet then they're beyond pitiful and should just go sit in a corner for the rest of their pathetic existence.

I guess this is a useful idea in principle, assuming it's possible to program efficiently. But how many people would really use it? I mean, this community is hardly massive to begin with. Are there really that many people who need to have a doom editor they can use 'on the go'?

I'm also guessing the amount of effort that would be required to program the applet, and then the costs involved in keeping a server running, would probably far outweigh any need the community has for such a service (though of course if somebody wants to spend their freetime creating such an editor it's up to them).

And anyway, can't you just whack doom2.wad and Doom builder on a USB stick or whatever and just run them from there? You don't actually need to install anything separate on to the computer?

Public places that dont allow downloads/installs usually also dont allow ActiveX components in the browser or at least the downloading/installing of those. This includes Applet and OCX components.

true, but why would you wanna doom map in a public place? :P ... why would you wanna map on the net anyway. :P .

I"m glad I've already fixed this problem: I run Doombuilder from my Flash Drive (and ZDoom) While it only allows me to create one project at a time (space limiting) I can do it from almost anywhere (except school)

Xenphire said:

Because most places like a public library, work place, etc. DONT ALLOW DOWNLOADS, let alone installing software in public or company computers. If a person is too lazy to log into a server and load up an applet then they're beyond pitiful and should just go sit in a corner for the rest of their pathetic existence.

I work in a public library and our computers are so locked down that you wouldn't be able to run something as complex as an editor applet. Hell, I don't even think they allow Java.

Very original and not a bad idea really, it would certainly make collaborative projects easier to organise. Rather than sending files back and forth, simply login and start mapping. It could also have a built in chat client, to stop people getting bored.

/me approves