Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BFG'd

Dumb Question

Okay, first question on my mind. It's been bugging me for days. When is that one face used (I don't know how to do pictures) that looks like the marine just got kicked in the nuts? (It's used in Chronicle 236 a few times...)

I believe it was originally intended to be shown when you took a lot of damage. However it was badly coded and behaves like TheDarkArchon said (IIRC). However, it has been fixed on some ports (Zdoom at least) so you see it more often there.

Look here for some details and a link to the Romero forums thread where Ling put this question to the man himself.

TheDarkArchon said:

When the player heals and takes damage at exactly the same time. Shareware Doom's E1M3 demo has such a situation.

Here's a couple 7-second v1.9 LMPs that give sample situations for that face:
Doom
Doom II

TheDarkArchon said:

When the player heals and takes damage at exactly the same time. Shareware Doom's E1M3 demo has such a situation.

What situation would that be? Sounds like a bug in the shareware version that's fixed as soon as you buy the full version.

Well, yeah, there are some glitches, and as pointed out on the link that Grazza provided, if you godmode right after getting the OH! face, then sometimes you get cought in this glitch:

Screen flashes red
OH! Face switches between itself and godmode face.
Colin get's irritated.
Colin Punches Fist through Screen.
You see, simple code.