Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ixfd64

oddest place you've played Doom?

I guess that a lot of you are hardcore Doomers, and like to play Doom wherever you can access it. But unlike some online games, Doom isn't readily available with simply a Java-enabled browser. And while Doom has been immensely popular before, not every computer has Doom. So you probably took your laptop.

What's the oddest place you've ever played Doom?

For me, it's probably at school. :o

(It can be either the classic Doom or Doom 3 series.)

Confession booth.

Nah, I don't think I've ever been in one of those and I don't have any portable Doom.

I had a copy of shareware doom in my pocket at a library once. Loaded it up, running off the flash drive.

Heh. I got kicked out.

I was taking a dump and checking my email on a laptop I had.

I ended up playing Doom though at some stage through the "process"

Playing Doom never seems an odd thing to do. I've played on London buses and transatlantic flights, but this always seemed quite natural.

I played in Greece during the brief period when it seemed that they had possibly outlawed all computer games by a rather clumsy piece of legislation aimed against online gambling.

When I'm on the move and using a laptop, I'll mostly watch demos rather than play though, as it's hard to achieve good results without a good mouse and surface on which to use it.

Edit: This makes me think: if they can have Extreme Ironing, surely we can have Extreme Dooming. Photographic or ideally video evidence required, naturally.

I played it at some computer store with VR goggles :P

Also played DM with friends at school for a bit (until we all got caught). Stupid school.

i've played it in an airplane, a car, a sailboat (!!) and in a bus. That's the odd places ^_^. I got it on my N-gage QD

I played freedoom during a presentation of my Senior High Project, which was a Doom map ^_^

High school computer lab, college computer lab, oh, and it wasn't Doom, but close. Once in high school I participated in a programming competition, and it was me and two other guys who didn't really know anything about C (and I had basically just learned C for the competition). Anyways, so after completing one task, and giving up on another (something about the data file not reading properly... grr...), I finally gave up and went to work on a game I had been programming, alternating between that and Quake. Lotsa fun.

For me: at work (school, I’m teacher) at 8 PM, while listening to Gogol Premier, a friend of mine was still working.

At college during 'study' periods (I put apostrophes around the word study because nobody ever studied during those periods). I managed to complete all of Evilution and was thinking of going through Plutonia, but there wasn't enough of the year left, so it wasn't done. Ah, well...

"On a sailboat, in a house, by the doorway, while eating a mouse!"
No...I'd have to say in the airport, or in Techlab when I was showing everyone freedoom...I still hate that little dudes face at the bottem...

on the plane going from chicago to Ireland.

I brang my laptop, thinking i would cruise for the next 8 hours and chill. I loaded up Doom next to me Uncle Seamus and me cousin Patrick. (I sound irish, with all the 'me cousin' stuff, you should hear me) A 14 year old dude across the aisle looks at the screen and says "Blimey. Yer fancy video games are as worthless as me father." I look at him, stunned. "It's just a hobby of mine." "Well, tell that to me father." His dad looks at me too. "Blimey, Aden. Mind yer own business. Yer mother will have a word with ya once we get off this plane." I look away, and start to play doom. An hour goes by, and I've beaten episodes 1 and 2. I switch over to Final Doom, and another kid, appearing Irish, sitting in front of the other kid, talks to me. "Ya got the guts to play that game too? I'll deathmatch ya, right now." "Sure. Awesome." He pulls out his laptop, and loads DooM. I do the same. We had a HUGE blast. I know his screen name on Zdaemon, but i wish not to state it here. We would chat, play other people that came in the room, and blast each other with the plasma gun. For 6 hours I did that. He was amazing. Great player. Said he lives in County Down, in Northern Ireland, and he hates the British. He's a Catholic. I told him where I lived. After about 4 hours, we found a big tourney and dominated it. When I drove up to Belfast, I visited him. He told me to on the plane. Quite a nice guy. He's about 15, and has got 5 other brothers his age. We went to a party, but I had to leave at 3 in the morning, or I would be drunk by morning and I wouldn't make it to Belfast on time. I remember one time, when he was "God-like" for a long time with the BFG. Hahahaha. Okay, this is a long post. He told me he was moving to Armagh, and offered me his old place. I said i couldn't, because I wasn't a citizen. He ended up selling it to old people. I still DooM with him to this day. Yeah okay this is a long post okay goodbye now. I'm not good at endings am i?

At an in-store display at what used to be Smith's Home Furnishings in Beaverton. They didn't seem to mind at all...in fact, I think one of the employees actually set it up. It was there to demonstrate the new IBM Aptivas that they had.

At a hotel amazingly on a arcade machine. Also at school and when I was in New York like 5 years ago on my uncle's laptop.

Well, since school doesn't seem that strange I'd have to say on a plane. But htat was back in the Day when there were no source ports and laptops were really thick (and you didn't use a mouse, I still don't)

Seems like school is kind of common. . . >_>

I've played there. The only place away from home. Perhaps I should buy a laptop to play it on a plane :p

That was from this old thread. It wasn't me, but it's the oddest place I know of to play Doom, except maybe if you hooked it up to the big Times Square screen.

Ichor said:

That was from this old thread. It wasn't me, but it's the oddest place I know of to play Doom, except maybe if you hooked it up to the big Times Square screen.

or in picadilly circus - london ^_^

Oddest place to play doom?

I'd have to say in my web design class, althouh I was playing my mod though and people thought it was interesting.

I was also playing Wolfenstein 3d (thanks to the NewWolf source port :p)

second oddest- at work, multiplayer. I had no clients that day, and i took my work home that night and finished it. I'm quite a fast worker. Anyway, since I have no boss anymore (I AM the boss, and I'm 18) I can do whatever I want. Once, one of my co-workers, who was supposed to be making calls to a client, was deathmatching me. I found out it was him, and he got an earful. hen i got back on my computer and deathmatched some other dude.