Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kc32

Jack Kilby is dead at 81.

Jack Kilby, the inventor of the Integrated Circuit and the father of the modern computer, died today from cancer.

He shouldn't be. He made all your Doom machines possible. This should be big news.

DooMer87 said:

I had no idea someone was the father of all computers. I thought IBM invented that.

Hmm. Hmm.

Sorry, I was under the impression that Bill Gates made a deal with the devil and did it...

Why do I even bother? Slashdot's the only forum that has anything about it, and I can't get a post in edgewise there.

"Father of the modern computer" is such a broad and inexact term. One could just as well claim that e.g. John von Neumann or Alan Turing were (spiritual) fathers of the modern computer.

Modern computers exist today because of the joint efforts of many people. Attributing them to one man is somewhat ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm sad to hear of Mr. Kilby's passing.

How about the 2000 Nobel Prize in Physics? Is that famous enough for you?

When I say 'stayed' I mean constantly. It's 2005 he is no more than a memory. I don't watch award shows anyway.

I think I would suggest that the invention of the transistor is more important than the invention of the IC.

DC

Kristian Ronge said:

"Father of the modern computer" is such a broad and inexact term. One could just as well claim that e.g. John von Neumann or Alan Turing were (spiritual) fathers of the modern computer.

Modern computers exist today because of the joint efforts of many people. Attributing them to one man is somewhat ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm sad to hear of Mr. Kilby's passing.

Ah!

Well, whatever. I'm going to go see what's going on at Jack Kilby Square here in Great Bend.

Pretty much. And also in Great Bend, Kansas.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Senseless posts deleted.

Don't post crap in people's tribute threads if you don't want to annoy me. By all means debate but don't just denegrate.