Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheOx

Noob mapper question(enemy teleporters)

ive been trying to get some enemy teleports to work but no luck yet if anyone could tell me a good way to approach this it would help me.

These teleports are in a large room with 4 teleporters in the corners.I have a blue square risen up in the middle of the room and it would be cool if i could have a walkover effect on the square so when they get up there the corners will start shooting out monsters. BTW i use doom builder. Thanks to anyone who can help me

Assuming you want to make it for the doom(2).exe:

It's not that difficult to make, but it might be a bit difficult to explain...

Make an extra room with the enemies. This room should be out of sight.
In this room should be a door and behind it, a line that will teleport the monsters (type=97 IIRC).

Make it so that when you step on the blue square the door opens. That way the monsters can cross the teleporter line and will be teleported to where ever you've place teleporter exits.

For an example:
Open up Doom2 map 16 (suburbs) to see an example. In the south west there is a big room with the enemies. When you step on the wooden platform in the slime pit the monster are teleported in.

You also need to ensure that the monsters are awake (so they cross the teleport line), typically done with a little channel from a normal room so that the monsters hear your weapon fire. Check out MAP01 of DOOM2 in the editor: there is a channel from the imp's cage to the hidden imps. The pentagon room of E1M9 of DOOM1 is another example.

Please don't recommend this stupid channel technique. If a cloned part of the sector is somehow connected with the monster room it is sufficient. There doesn't need to be a physical connection. Check out Scythe2 for a good example.

I agree that's a better way, but I thought the concept of a split sector might be confusing to someone new to mapping.

it hasnt worked yet. for the effect i put W1 Teleport(monsters only). Im not sure if thats the best effect

W1 Teleport (# 125) should work for 1 monster. If you want more monsters to be teleported by this line you should use #126 or #97.

Are you sure the monsters actually cross the teleporter line?

When you step on the blue square go to the automap [TAB] and type IDDT twice. Now you can see the monsters (as triangles). If they are not moving they are not awake and you should either make a 'channel' or a 'cloned sector'.

If they are moving but the teleporter doesn't work, you might have forgotten to place teleporter exits or perhaps you didn't set the sector/ line tags?

good luck