Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TwinBeast

Sci-Fi Bounty Hunter

This is for Doomsday.

IDEA: you're some bounty hunter and you kill/capture some others to get money, reputation or both. If you got much money, you can buy weapons and other items. If you got much reputation, you'll get better missions which will give you more money.

I've thought of two kinds of missions. In the first you hunt some criminal. In the second you hunt some monster(some big one or maybe just really rare). Criminal missions gives you more money(because criminals have money too). Monster missions gives you more reputation(monsters are scary).

You'll start the game in some city bar/shop where bounty hunters usually gather around and look around for bounties and buy stuff. Some missions could probably happen in that city. Yea, you'll anyway need some money to buy some space ship to get in a mission outside this place.

There will be probably some 10 weapons. I've already thought of 4. You're wearing some Black Space Ninja Power armor which boosts all of your movement, including punching and kicking. So you punch someone and your foe flies 10 meters away and bumping his head in the wall and dies.

Go check out some screenshots and a beta version of this at: http://www.zoowad.doomrepublic.com/sfbhunt/

I've planned to add hands later :P Somewhere around when I've done some 10 weapon models... Meanwhile you can imagine the hands there :)

I'm filled with amazement. For this an all of Your work. Why? Because it contains a buttload of original graphics. Only the machine gun looks stoneish (needs contrast ;) ) but I'm really looking forward to this project.
What about Your Nuclear Shower project?

Machine gun? It's a plasma rifle... :P Color the models? They have more color in the skin when viewed from an image editor, but I'm quite satisfied to the way they look in the game. They were supposed to be some green/brown color. I may have a bit too much shine effect over them, but I remember the pistol was quite white even without the shine effect.

I abandoned that Nuclear Shower project and later this idea sounded more fun... but the stuff for it is not completely wasted. The ambient sounds can be used, general xg scripts, some stuff from the dll I made for that one and maybe some textures, but I decided to draw all new and bigger resolution textures, which appears to lower the frame rate quite much in big maps like that test map included in the newest version.

I'm probably going to make smaller maps, less lightning detail, less textures used in one map.. in the test map I tried to use almost every texture I drew... From 51 flats I used 38 and from 69 textures I used 44. They take averagely 5,75MB memory.

It sounds kinda ridiculous that 5,75MB can lower the framerate so much or do they use more because they're tiled? If one 512*512 texture uses 98KB and it's tiled twice, does it use 196KB then?

You're gonna come up with a better name right? 'Sci-fi Bounty Hunter' may cover the load, but it's not exactly catchy.

The screens look great; good luck!

I've not thought much about the name... I've only thought what's it going to be like... At the moment that name describes the best what's it going to be like when it's done. But when it's done and then I suddenly change the name, people get confused and if I now change it, people might get confused too. Maybe I'll name the game to have the same name as the main character... Like if the name was John, then the game could be called John The Bounty Hunter. Maybe the game could be called Hunter or The Hunter, but that would sound like some horror game and this is not a horror game. Anyway, I'm a bit tired of names... I even named my personal website untitled title...

My mind is open to name suggestions, if you can make a catchy name for this (before I possibly make it), shout it! Meanwhile it's going to stay Sci-Fi Bounty Hunter.

Holy...wow. That sounds (and looks) amazing. Too bad it's for Doomsday, but for this I might actually dust off the ol' copy of Doomsday and see if I can get it running.

Nick Perrin said:

Has anyone been able to run this mod with Kickstart? Even plain doom running through kickstart doesn't work.

I obiviously can run this mod with Kickstart :P

Plain Doom runs allright too.

Can you even launch Kickstart? If you can, what happens if you click the "Play" button?

Are you running some obsolete version of Kickstart?

Message I get trying to just run doom(no jDRP or mods enabled)

Access violation at address 0046C2DB in module 'Kicks.exe'. Read of address FFFFFFFC.

Xanthier said:

everything looks cool except this:
"Black Space Ninja Power Armor", i mean come on.

What's wrong with that? Should it be Black Space Concealment Personal Power Armor?

Jimi, on a skulltag rating, I say, from looking at the screen shots,
MOST IMPRESSIVE!
In other words, it looks pretty awesome!

-Alando1

Jimi said:

What's wrong with that? Should it be Black Space Concealment Personal Power Armor?

The first one sounds like something out of power rangers, the second is an improvement, but it's a little lengthy/wordy and thus awkward sounding. How about Black Space Cloaking Armor, or Black Space Stealth Armor?

Sounds and looks impresive, could you add Riddick as a criminal to capture (not kill)? That'd rock. Too bad it's for doomsday, still most probably I'll check it out.

Xanthier said:

The first one sounds like something out of power rangers, the second is an improvement, but it's a little lengthy/wordy and thus awkward sounding. How about Black Space Cloaking Armor, or Black Space Stealth Armor?

Power Rangers!!! Yay! When I created that Black Space Ninja Power Armor, I was thinking of some really stupid name :P
The second name is just a "translation" of the first one. I've looked from some site that Ninja means Concealment and A person. But then again the armor description doesn't sound much like armor that conceals much. Maybe it's just Black Space Power Armor, because it boosts the user strength, speed and it also protects... It could be called just Space Power Armor or just Power Armor, but it's going to be colored black and maybe some small color decorations that would be different colored on multiplayer games...

I have thought the armor generates some shield over the armor when it's powered. When the shield gets down, the armor may get broken and malfunction... a very bad malfunction would be some complete immobilizing of the user, but that won't happen usually. Obiviously when the shield is down and the armor is getting broken, the user will start to feel pain and later he will start to malfunction and have some heart seizures and in the worst case scenario he will die and collapse to the ground, unless the armor had immobilized him standing there like a statue. I may not do that, because then the coding starts to get a little bit complicated with all kinds of useless features that no one will most likely ever see.

Vegeta said:

Sounds and looks impresive, could you add Riddick as a criminal to capture (not kill)? That'd rock. Too bad it's for doomsday, still most probably I'll check it out.

Maybe I won't.. I'm going to have some new criminals. I haven't thought of their names yet, but I have thought of something they are going to do or what they have done. I'm also thinking that player can also work for the criminals.

I have thought of some three different "organizations" that give missions: Some government thing, Some "neutral" activists and criminals. If you complete a mission given by the government, criminals probably start to hate you, because they don't like the government. If you complete a neutral mission, it probably won't affect government or criminals negatively. Completed missions given by the criminals probably makes the government be a bit wary at you...

I'm going to go to sleep now before I write some long document about my plans for this game....

When someone of you have tested.. Could you tell me then, what do you think of the Heavy Gun? It replaces super shotgun and rocket launcher...