Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyberDemonHunter

How Do I Make An Outdoor Area?

How do I make an outdoor area in DoomBuilder? In other words, how do I make an area under an open sky?

One person told me to make the whole level one big room and make the cieling a sky texture, but then I don't think it will have the same stretch effect. Like when you look into the sky in Doom and turn ur a view from side to side, youll see that the sky stretches and distorts...

Thx for the help!

use F_SKY1 as the ceiling texture for any outdoor area you want. It is a special case texture where it is replaced with a sky.

CyberDemonHunter said:

...Like when you look into the sky in Doom and turn ur a view from side to side, youll see that the sky stretches and distorts...

You probably have "Stretch sky" option ON in ZDoom or something.

Their are multiple ways you could make an outdoor area. What are you exactly trying to make? Don't expect to create rolling hills will Doom. (though it might be entertaining to see someone try) Originally DOOM's sky textures where limited in size, because before any sourceports cameout you could never look up and down.

yeh i know, and actually I have seen doom with rolling hills... its very hard to do, its this add on for DoomBuilder and I think Ive lost the URL. but it made triangular sectors which you could slant/raise/lower. it wuz pretty awesome..took doom to a whole new level.

A little tip:
If you want to have the sky drop below the very top of the room, you have to create a sector with a dropped ceiling and no side textures. Just thought I'd share, seeing as how it's one of those things people think is assumed knowledge, although it had me stumped for a while.

I actually didnt know that. Thanks man!
My new project is a Space Hulk TC, currently the first floor of the starship is 1036 sectors :-) I am still looking for anyone that is good creating sprites. My main problem is doing the angles... The front half of my Space Marines look great though.