Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CommanderHoek

I wanna make a skin for a monster

I want to make a custom monster version of the imp, with its own attack power and health, and fireball animation. Skulltag has the dark imp, i wanna make my own imp.

XWE can do all that for you, recolor the original sprites black make an decorate script for it and your done.
Change the first four letters of your sprite to something else, the imp uses TROO just change it to something else LAME or something.
Do that with all its frames and it should work.
Im using XWE too for my custom lame recolors, so far made about 8 decorate monsters for my project.

how would i do that exactly? i need some more details. it's kinda hard to explain what i'm trying to get at....hmmm. where can i find the sprites exactly? is there anything i need to do to the wad to get into it or something?

To begin with do you have XWE installed allready, if yes load in your doom or doom2 iwad into XWE.
The original imp sprites are in your large doom/doom2 iwad, the 14 mb one.
Select all imp sprites and copy and paste them into an new file.
Start recoloring those black or any color you want, XWE can do this all for you.
Now that was the easy part, making an decorate file for your custom imp becomes a bit more difficult.
The fastest way to learn this is loading an allready made custom monster into XWE and see how they did it.
I could explain it to you or even show you an decorate file here from my imp.

CommanderHoek, I see you are lost on Dutch Devils advice. What I really recommend for you is using Deep Sea for creating your sprites. What you can do create a separate wad file is to first merge your sprites with Map01 of Doom2 or E1M1 of Doom1. Now all you have to do is create the DECORATE which I'm unsure how to do right now.

-Alando1

Fire up XWE click on file select open and load in your doom/doom2 iwad.
It takes a few seconds for XWE to load it in, click on sprites in the lower part.
You see all the sprites that the game uses, now scroll down until you see the TROO sprites for the imp sprites.
Select every one of them by holding CTRL and select them with your left mouse button.
Once they are all selected, click on edit and select copy (do not select cut cause that will remove those sprites from your Iwad)
Then click on file and select new and name it MYIMP or whatever you wanna call it.
Then click on edit and select paste, and all your sprites are copied to your new file.
And if you want to recolor them, goto image and select color remap.
And now you can edit the sprites to your liking, by double clicking every color and enter a new number for it.
I hope my reply will help you...

Btw: do forget to double click on the sprite itself, it showes the doom pallette with all colors you can use.

ok, i'm coloring my "plasma imp" in now, but when i change the colors, the imp is still brown, how can i view what i've changed?

EDIT: ok i figured out how to view it. when i'm all done with the imp, how can i put it in my maps?

2nd EDIT: also how and where would i save it?

There is no need for saving your wad, but be sure to clean up your wad when your done.

When youre done with it, it only needs an decorate file, otherwise it will not work.
And I hope your map is an doom in hexen format map, im not sure if custom monsters work on a different type of map.
The decorate file is a bit more tricky, and kinda hard to explain to you for me.
I could email you an script which you can use for your monster, it saves you alot of questions.

Also you can load in your map in XWE select everything again like mentioned above and copy those to your wad where your imp sprites are in.

just wanna say thanks cause that helped me alot with things to. but where is a good web page where you can learn how to script monsters