Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The other day, I was playing through a couple of my wads (sp_geo.wad, and sp_denial). I of course noticed all of the stupid gameplay flaws and other stupid things the maps had, and decided it might be a good idea to correct these problems. The result is a rather large update to these wads, which have merged to form Geo X. Here are just a few of the things I added/change/removed/whatever:

- More ammo. A common complaint that people gave me. :P
- More weapon variation. It was quite stupid of me to make it so that you'd be using the shotgun for the majority of the map.
- Shortened Maps. I really felt that these maps were extremely drawn out, so I made them shorter. For example, I've estimated that Death Barracks probably takes about half the time to beat than the old version did.
- Decorate monsters. I've removed all but one of the decorate monsters used in this wad. They just seemed very random and out of place.
- Noticably Less Lame Traps. Some of the traps can be a huge pain in the ass, and are often times followed by OTHER traps, with little or no health at all between them. Yes, I am the king of lame traps.
- New Areas + Added Detail. I've removed some parts of the maps for various reasons, and either added some new ones, or heavily edited them. In the process, I managed to add a bit of detail as well. :P
- HOPEFULLY IT'S NOT CRAPPY LIKE THE OLD VERSION IS

If you didn't like the original versions of these maps, which I'm sure you didn't, I'd give this a try. Heck, even if you did like it, I'd still play it. There's quite a bit different, I suppose.

Screenshots: (click the thumbnails for larger versions..)

Download:
sp_geo.zip <(Free Prizes Inside!!)

Feel free to let me know wether or not it still sucks.

EDIT: Haha, wow. I just noticed a couple of REALLY stupid bugs in the wad, in MAP02. For one, if you don't grab the shotgun in map02 and try to proceed down the stairwell instead, you'll see a bunch of dormant monsters just sitting there. For another, the red key card in map02 also appears to be a head on a stick! Boy, I'm an idiot. I've reuploaded the wad with these things fixed. Good thing I didn't upload it to the archives yet.

Heh. Agent, if you won't do the six maps for the simplicity mega wad, will you do them for this? :P

Thanks for the comments :)

ravage said:

Agentspork: Circular skyboxes look better.

Yeah, probably would have been a good idea to fix that too.

kristus said:

Bah, I loved those maps.

Well, hopefully they're even better now. :D

Nice, but I liked the previous version of Death Barracks better,
with all the custom monsters in it... oh well, maybe thats just me.

Vader said:

Nice, but I liked the previous version of Death Barracks better,
with all the custom monsters in it... oh well, maybe thats just me.

The monsters were ok, but to be honest, the old versions of these maps played like shit. But Agent Spork seemed to notice that himself. I hope these ones play better.

Well,
the maps overall improved IMO, but it didn´t statify my as much as last time with more custom enemys...
at least the Cacolichs stayed in :D

Well, I removed the decorate monsters because they seemed so randomly placed. The monster resource pack came out when I already had half of the map done, so I was just like "omg, must throw in some decorate monsters". I don't think it worked out well. I kept the cacoliches because those are probably the coolest of any of the decorate monsters in the current version of the resource pack, and I needed a good way to end the map anyway. :P

the old versions of these maps played like shit. But Agent Spork seemed to notice that himself. I hope these ones play better.

Yes, they did. I really didn't bother to test the maps through enough, so I guess that's the reason behind that. And yes, they should play a LOT better now :P

I vaguely remember playing the first two maps before, but not the third.

I thought it was pretty good. I remember it was annoyingly tight on ammo and health before, but it was just right this time. Some of your uber-tight traps I think have been changed for the better too (if I remember correctly the switch to the blue key in the old version led to some uber-tight lame trap, and I'm not sure if you had one of your exit-switch traps in it somewhere too before). I generally think that in some of your previous maps you haven't rewarded the player enough after a trap, but that seems to be fixed here.

I'm also not keen on overuse of those overrated monsters from the resource wad. A couple here and there are good, especially as boss monsters, but there's no point, as you say, just putting them in because they're available.

Are you including any new monsters in Simplicity? I reckon just a couple (as in Scythe2) would be good. Though not necessarily those damn plasma marines :oP

Oh damn, that's so admireable... I really hope that I will get an opportunity to work together with you on some doom mod in the near future!

Xtife said:

SPORK IS GOD!! spork > god

You're being sarcastic, right?

Oh damn, that's so admireable... I really hope that I will get an opportunity to work together with you on some doom mod in the near future!

Possibly.. :P

AgentSpork said:

I DID but they still turned out to be tiny. I clicked on the thumbnail, and I got a white screen with an itty-bitty screenshot in the top corner.