Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

if u dont got it, get it!!

finally a GBA version of doom and it is mine, all mine!!! i must say it is a kick ass port and i have only seen 5 minutes at most so far, playing now. It is better than i originaly thought it would be. so if u have a GBA and $40 go get doom. The tricky part was not getting it, but getting it without my parents noticeing that i got it. Why, cause then they would know i found my christmas present and pulled a switch

Been play Doom GBA in secret have we?
Oh well. Carry on. And don't let your parents catch you! :)

doom is my one and only secret lover, if my girlfriend found out i would be dead! anyway i dont intend to get caught. i have only one beef with GBA, no back light for the LCD, jesus fuck'n christ nintindo, back light the games boys damn!

doom is my one and only secret lover, if my girlfriend found out i would be dead! anyway i dont intend to get caught. i have only one beef with GBA, no back light for the LCD, jesus fuck'n christ nintindo, back light the games boys damn!

I don't like the GBA period... it's just a more compact Game Gear with worse body colors (generally speaking). Nintendo always tends to copy Sega.... especially back in the Genesis-SNES wars. They -tried- to make a cd add on, too... and scraped it. Bad idea, as that spawned their new worst nightmare...

Yay for GG's, as they've always -been- color and backlit. They're just major battery munchers, but look at when they were made.... simpiler components and a bit less efficiant.

The GBA has 32,000 colors. Only problem I see with it is the lack of backlighting. However, just last weekend I read in a Gamepro magazine that some guy installed a backlight on his. Pretty fucking awesome, IMO.

yeah and he is gonna sell the backlights with instructions for $30. i would get that if i didnt hate my gba so much. i got doom hopeing my gba would be put to some use but alas, its sukiness is more then doom's goodness can handle.

yea that is my beef with the system, no back lighting, and doom can be a bit too dark at times. also i might, if i get plans, install a back light too. other than that it is a good hand held. also i too believe that game gear was ahead of gamboy backin its day. it was color and had back lighting. whne game boy waas first colorised it sucked and it was a joke, didnt even want one

Nintendo always tends to copy Sega

Really? I thought it was the other way - shoulder buttons, analogue sticks, childish colours for joypad buttons...

Only problem I see with it is the lack of backlighting

Tell me you're kidding me. Really, did you ever check out any of the backlit handhelds? Backlighting produces more fucking blur than a myopic alcoholic will see in a lifetime. Don't go there.

The only things that could improve the GBA screen are better brightness and lower contrast. And it would still be a poor screen.

thats because back lit hand helds had horrible displays until now, with to bright of lights, look and the LCD flat screen monitors. those are back lit and look great, now take a small pice of that screen and backlitght and put it with GBA, another thing that is bad about GBA is that white looks too strange, could be fixed with a back light

putting the system gripes aside for minute, what's the game actually like? How close is it to the original? Two of my friends had GBAs but got rid of them in less than two weeks, saying they couldn't stand 'em, but I dunno

Game Gear was Sega's worst system. Besides being backlit and color, the Game Boy was a hundred times better. Game Boy has awesome games, Game Gear had nothing good but Sonic and even that was weak compared to the Genesis versions.

Who cares if the Game Boy Advance isn't backlit? Get a freaking gamelight. Better yet, get the one that folds down over the screen to protect it. Quit whining already. Geez, I thought I heard the last of this backlight complaining when Castlevania came out. I prefer the gamelights to backlight. No blurs, less battery power.

And for those who haven't played Doom for the GBA it's ungodly cool. It's basically the Jaguar version. Same levels, same features, same engine, etc. Using the Jaguar code made it possible. Unfortunately this means getting the hacked console levels that are on every port of Doom (except for SNES Doom), with no crushing ceilings and missing areas. On the other hand, you get the console exclusives as well, Hell Gate & Hell Keep (different from PC version).

Also, the sceptre, spider mastermind, and cyberdemon are gone, much like the Jaguar, 3DO, and 32X versions. For items, the invisibility and light-amp are gone. They're not really needed to make the game fun though. That doesn't mean the game's not fun.

As for the graphics, it looks just like the PC and Jaguar versions, but at a slightly lower resolution. Think of DOS Doom with low detail *halfway* on. Not that it's that noticable. With the lower resolution of he GBA screen it looks as normal as a TV or a PC monitor at 320x240. And it runs super fast (as fast as the psx, faster than the pc) and super fluid, no matter the amount of enemies. The only thing that chops up the game slightly are really large areas, but there's only a few of them. All of the frames of the monsters are there (except the crushed ones), and yes, you can see them on all sides.

The sound is just like the PC version, not the console sounds. The only missing sounds are the demon dying sound (uses one of the imp's dying sounds) and the soul sphere pickup sound (uses normal pickup sound). The corpses can't be crushed, and they disappear after a few seconds. You don't really notice after a while. Lastly, the blood is green. However, if you're willing to give up Doom just because the blood isn't red, you're playing it for the wrong reason.

The music is the lowest point. With the sound capabilities of the GBA, they could've done better than the SNES music. Instead the tracks are "remixed" and shortened, and while they sound cool, doesn't really compare to the original music. (The music's on my site :) )

The control is sweet. Takes about 5 minutes to get used to, but after that, it's as easy to circle around the enemies as the PSX version. (and there IS autorun) Weapon switching takes a while, but it's fine once you get used to it.

Even with the missing things, this is as fun as PSX Doom, is super fast, and super fun. On a scale of 1 to 5, I give it a 5.

Ok, I know that's long, but just thought anyone who comes here can see what Doom GBA is all about without someone's big mouth getting in the way.

Elbryan42, I have a game light, which kinda sucks, so I might get one of those that protects the screen. Those look much brighter than the one I have now.

BTW, I wasn't complaining about it, just mentioning it. Even if I was, what's wrong with it? Everybody has his or her preferences.

Geez... I wasn't talking about you. Sorry...

I was just talking about when the GBA came out, that's all people would talk and complain about. We're talking 40 page posts on some forums debating the whole bloody thing.

Not to mention the people who hate it without playing it, hating it because it's on a console or a handheld, etc.

Just thought someone would like to know what the game is like, and what Doom GBA is like without some heavily biased opinion. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's sick of people complaining about something without even trying it. Kinda like my friend that hates the playstation, without even playing it.

you could get a game light but they suk, all of em. my brother has one that protects the screen and that sux, my friend has a worm light which sux, my other friend has ufo light which, you guessed it, sux. whenever i play it i have to use my concentrated lamp. and just because people stop complaining about no backlight doesnt mean it doesnt suk anymore.

I agree Elbryan. Usually (emphasis on "usually") I'm never quick to judge. I was willing to give Doom GBA a try. Despite the few disappointments about it, it's still portable DOOM, and for a handheld it kicks major ass!

And sorry about accusing you of bitching at me, it's just that me and RESOL (whom I happen to know personally in real life) were among the first to complain about the lighting. After a bit of playing it, however, I'm now able to play it without my game light (during the day at least).

I wish I could buy it in Germany, but I have not seen it so far = banned. Does anyone a US game cardrige can be run in a German (or other european) GBA? Is there a country code in either cardridge or GBA? Otherwise, I could get it on US ebay :) Tell me if you know :)