Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Macro11_1

Texture

Hey, Well, Seeing as there is the "show off your wepons skills" thread, I was thinking of making one for textures. I know there was an old one around here somewhere, but I cant remember where.

Anyways, Now on to the real reson I posted, I have made a texture that is a 64x256, the picture is 128x256 though

http://photobucket.com/albums/y67/Macro11_1/?action=view¤t=Brick1_F.png

Any suggestions? I have used only photoshop to make it. If you want I can also put up pictures of it inprogress.

Oh and one thing I am having a problem of doing is, when I add filters and crap, when I go to tile, what would be a good way to make the texture seamless, other than Clone stamping? Meh, oh well... Hope you like it. I plan on making more.

Oh wow, that Nice! hmm..., Now of course, im going to ask, What did you use to make that? and ask for advice now that youve shown me that :P

Well it's layers, selection tools, dodge and burns. Nothing fancy ;)

*sniffle*

If only doom supported more colours in its pallet ='( Then Id be happy.

Still, Id like advice on how to improve that texture, If any one is willing to help me... =)

Well, even though you still have a long way to go. I see improvement, I don't really know how to give you any direct advice though. But I suggest you study the material you want to picture, or a material/the materials that would have similar features to that of what you're trying to make.

I used to do this by getting a picture of the material and study the pixel-composition. However, nowadays I usually just look at what I need and use the brush and eraser tool until I find something that works for me. So, don't quit. Keep it up, and you're bound to improve. The key is to never be satisfied, but always strife to become more and better.

EDIT: Jehar, glad you like it, but no. I'm not goin to finish it, it's not worth the effort.

Oh allright, well... In light of this, Can I keep posting textures? Oh and I just got a digital camera, so I can play with that too ^_^

Any suggestions as to what I could make?? Something other than a brick wall? Dosent have to be a texture =), could be a thing though I am trying to get better at making textures...

By the way, How dose that last one tile for you?

Don't qoute me on this, but I say go for it.
Be interesting to see what you and others post.

Great work Jim.
A tad simple, but elegant and clean. Remind me of a q3 level hmm.. Biohazard or something like that. I rememebr the author was named Krash.

I wanna learn the ways of the hi-res textures, teach me, teach me! actually I need to fool around in PSP and see if I can't figure it out for myself first.

Great Job Nmn!

evilhomerdoomer said:

That is the same robot as that pic on skulltag.com hey Kristus?

Yeah, I made that banner.

Wow Jimi, Ravage... Those are some awesom textures...

I really like your door one Jimi.

Anyways I got bored and decided to test my digital camera at 12:50a.m. and took a picture of artwork I did about 6 months ago.

As for textures? Im working on it.... I fuigured out that its easyer to make each part then put it to gether like a puzzle... Like make 10 different bricks and put them together...

Anyways, Heres for the artwork. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Macro11_1/DSC09980.jpg

Tell me what you think ^_^, Also... My freinds think it looks like a picture out of a game or something... heh, go fuigure.

Also, for the orgeyness/yellowness, I dont Quite know how to use the camera Fully yet, and I had to use a lightsource in the house, and the paper was Shiney and... Please dont kill me !! :P

Macro11_1 said:

Also, for the orgeyness

0_o jokes

Heh, that does look like a pic from AV map 20 in a way...

Very nice!

Great you like my textures.

I have some questions about texture variation. Couple years ago someone said it was a good thing to have a lot variation from one texture. Yesterday one friend said it's not a good thing to have a lot variation from one texture.

Having a lot variation of one texture increases the filesize, loading times and performance... well, not much if they're low res textures, but I'm making them high.

Just yesterday I was going to improve some texture I had drawn. I got it improved allright. But I drew a new layer into it. If I use that layer, I'll get a dark wet version of it. This texture is a texture that can be used in both walls and floors, so that makes double filesize. Some of the variations are just rotated duplicates. But overall I ended up having about 20 wall textures and 20 flat textures(10 clean ones and 10 dark wet ones)...

Then I made a completely new texture. Some brown concrete. I made only 3 different variations of it for walls and 4 for flats.

I'm not sure what textures I exactly need, do I really need these dirty versions of this kind of texture or not? If I have them, then I will use them somewhere.

How much variation of one texture is a "healthy" amount?

I think it's good to have variations in term of looks (like different panelling, some pipes or whatnot) on the same texture so things can get more interesting.

However I think it's not necessary to have different "clean" and "dirty" variations of the same texture.

The more variation however the better IMO.

In this ZDoom forum thread:

http://forum.zdoom.org/potato.php?t=5745

I have shown some of my textures, some of which I made from scratch, and others I made from combining and changing ripped content.

For instance the gray wall is made of a base made from scratch and the doors and windows are taken from real life pictures found on internet.

The trashes were made from another picture on internet.
The slimes are made from scratch.
Lots of the textures are basically from Doom3 or Elite Force, but some of them are heavily changed...

But one important thing: These are made for my altered Doom palette, not the origimal one, because that was not a good palette for natural scenes. :) sorry.

gemini09 said:

Didn't see all but Hellstat2 was interesting. I'm loving the Souldamn too. Maybe you could make similar graphics for me later on.

My better ones are for Backtrack. Souldamn was an edit (to tile vertically and horizontally) of that one sky from CrazyEd2.