Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
melphen

New to this thing.

Fist off let me say that I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong place. Just seemed like this is the place for WAD questions of this type.

Doom was the first game I remember playing . I learned to read so I could play this game. Since then I wanted to make WADs for the game and to this day never have. The problem is I do not know where to start and it seems the info making WADs for the classic Doom games gets harder to find everyday. If someone could point me to a site that can get me started I'd be thankful. I have Doom 95 and ZDoom running right now with the WADs for Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and the 2 Final Doom WADs (TnT Evolution and Plutonia Experiment).

Also, I have the book and disk for "The Lost Episodes of Doom" here. I found them this weekend. The problem is the disk is old and no longer works and I would love to have those old Doom episodes. I think they are Massacre on Callisto, The Killing Fields of Io, and Hell Gate: The Red Spot. The books says it needs a regestered copy of the game and I can't be sure if what I have is regestered or not. So maybe someone can tell me how to figure that out too. Sorry for all the questions that I'm sure are very noob like, but I have to know and I'd rather ask and be laughed at than not know.

Doombuilder is an good editor to start with.
There are some tutorials over there too, if your the kind of guy who reads them that is.
Sorry that I can't help you with your other question, but im sure someone else here can.
O and welcome to doomworld :)

Thanks for the help. Now I have something to do while I wait to see if someone else can help. That program seems about as simple as it could be made and still have all the options. This should be great fun. Who would think that all these years after Doom came out there would still be people doing this and new people starting. It is nuts.

Ultimate Doom (four episodes) is a registered copy of the game. The shareware release was just Episode 1.

Lost Episodes should work OK with Ultimate Doom. However, it sounds like you no longer have a copy of the Lost Episodes, so you are out of luck. There are many far better pwads though (and many threads in the WADs and Mods forum where people have recommended good ones).

I know that there are other and more than likely better pWADs out there. The thing is I am a classic gamer. I own ALL the home systems as far back as the pong machine. I just don't get into a lot of the new stuff like the classics, so having the lost episodes is a major deal for me. I was sure I was just screwed on this one, but I had to ask and hope. Maybe I'll get lucky at a yard sale or something some time.

Lost Episodes wasn't an official id release, and it wasn't even one of the best pwads at the time it came out. There's no reason to regard it as more important than other pwads.

The only noteworthy thing about Lost Episodes is that it came with a product for which money was charged, whereas most user-made pwads were/are free, the only exceptions being a few released by id (Final Doom and the Master Levels), and some commercial megawads that were made by special arrangement with id (Hacx, Perdition's Gate and Hell2Pay).

Anyway, you might want to take a look at Christen Klie's wads in the archive. Some of those are other versions of his maps that are in the Lost Episodes.

I think the demos that are included with the Lost Episodes screw up Ultimate Doom, and episode 3 (Hells Gate: The Red Spot of Jupiter) is on two lines, which causes part of it to overlay with 'Thy Flesh Consumed' in the menu. Those were the only bugs I found really. Funny though, because LEOD came with my Ultimate Doom floppies.

There is a fix out that solves the problems LEOD has with Ultimate Doom. I don't have the link saved, but I looked at it like a day ago.