Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CommanderHoek

does anyone use deepsea?

well my problem is that i can't seem to order it. when ever my dad and i tried to order it online, we got an error message. so i was hoping, though it's probably a longshot, that someone could e-mail me a copy of their deepsea editor folder. that way i could have the editor. like i said, it's probably a longshot, but if someone out there is kind enough to copy their folder in their program drive, compress it to a .rar or .zip, and then e-mail it to me, i'd highly appreciate it.

No request for warez here, or you WILL get banned. Contact the author of Deepsea (address is on same page you tried to order from) to solve your ordering problem.

Or just get doombuilder and the problem's solved!

http://www.codeimp.com

;)

edit: I seriously think that DeepSea shouldnt be sold anymore. I mean, not only do 99.9% of editors out the for newer games are free, there are plentiful of editors that can do the same thing as deepsea and are free.

I don't want to start a long discussion here but I'm just pointing this out.

Because some people consider DeePSea to be better than Doom Builder, perhaps?

EDIT: someone->some

NiGHTMARE said:

Because someone people consider DeePSea to be better than Doom Builder, perhaps?

It was worth every penny ;)
The only thing I wish I could do with it that I can't do now is make Heretic levels in Hexen format. But of course, years ago, that wasn't around anyways, so...

NiGHTMARE said:

Because someone people consider DeePSea to be better than Doom Builder, perhaps?

Well you got a point there, DeepSea is probably the second most populair editor.
I never made any wad with DeepSea though.

EarthQuake said:

The only thing I wish I could do with it that I can't do now is make Heretic levels in Hexen format. But of course, years ago, that wasn't around anyways, so...

Unless you're using a really old version, you can :). Press F5, open the Heretic Project, and then select the "ZDOOM - HEXEN format" tick box (below "Port support options").

NiGHTMARE said:

Unless you're using a really old version, you can :). Press F5, open the Heretic Project, and then select the "ZDOOM - HEXEN format" tick box (below "Port support options").

Believe me when I say I've tried it all. Not even the most recent editing configurations will work with it. The program says the configurations were built for another version, heh. Btw, when I click on that checkbox, the program will tell me that's only for Doom modes, and will autodisable it.

NiGHTMARE said:

Because some people consider DeePSea to be better than Doom Builder, perhaps?

EDIT: someone->some

Chances are he probably hasn't used it but had someone tell him about it (considering he doesn't have it yet, though there is the slight possibility he's tried the demo). In any case, unless you want to buy a feature bloated, nothing-special editor that costs more than Doom itself, I highly recommend going with Doom Builder.

If DeePSea is nothing special, why is so much of it blatantly copied by Doom Builder?

NiGHTMARE said:

If DeePSea is nothing special, why is so much of it blatantly copied by Doom Builder?

How many times in human history has success belonged to the individual(s) who could take a good thing and make it better? And wasn't that success, and any praise that followed, something justified?

I think this thread has lived past it's prime.
And besides, don't we already have enough port/editor wars?

EarthQuake said:

Believe me when I say I've tried it all.

I just tried it. I hit F5 and picked ZDOOMHERETIC.PRJ as the project. When I pointed it at heretic.wad as the IWAD, DeePsea told me that I should use ZWADCONV on it. In other words, it expected a Hexen format IWAD (which I haven't beothered creating yet). I carried on, ignoring the warning, and all the spiffy ZdoomHexen style features I know and love were present. DeePsea version 12.06

As for paying for it - why not? It's a tool that lets me do my hobby. I've bought tools for other hobbies. I don't see the problem. If someone doesn't want to pay, that's fine but don't expect charity even if others give it. If someone wants to pay, let them.

DeePSea does everything I want in an editor and it does it in a way that I like. It is also far more than just a level editor and allows me to dispense with all the other Doom tools because DeePsea does the lot.

And yeah, if you're having payment problems, e-mail Jack Vermeulen (the author) I'm sure he'll be glad to help.

NiGHTMARE said:

Heh I'm shocked that it was said and it was said by you! Now with DoomBuilders own forum where any joe-sweatsock can whine about the adding of features it may become just as 'overblown' as people claim Deepsea is.
Funny thing about all the crap it can do, Deepsea doesn't force you to use all it's features and as a straight-up map editor it's no way more complicated than any of the others. I use it exclusively!

Since CodeImp is actrively working on NOT overbloating it with stuff that you don't really need in your level editor, I doubt this will ever happen.

After trying Deepsea on several occations, both for level designing and for wad managing I can say that it's not an editor that is for me. I use Doobuilder and XWE. They cover all my requirements.

I guess I shouldn't really say something bad about deepsea in here, but I will say this: deep really should stop bothering with the pay thing. When other editors do the same thing for free, there's simply no point in BUYING an editor. Now, if deepsea had 3d editing and no other editor could make a decent version of it, I would possibly consider buying it. However, Doom Builder's 3d editing is decent enough to overlook paying for another editor that does the same. Same with lump editing. If deep sea was the only way you could edit lumps or other free editors did it crappily, then I could consider buying deepsea. However we have programs like WinTex and XWE that do a pretty darn good job at lump editing, for free.

I believe that if deep wants people buying it he needs to put in something that none of the other editors have, which would be pretty hard. Deep, if you're reading this, good freaking luck.

lerner said:

I guess I shouldn't really say something bad about deepsea in here, but I will say this: deep really should stop bothering with the pay thing. When other editors do the same thing for free, there's simply no point in BUYING an editor. Now, if deepsea had 3d editing and no other editor could make a decent version of it, I would possibly consider buying it. However, Doom Builder's 3d editing is decent enough to overlook paying for another editor that does the same. Same with lump editing. If deep sea was the only way you could edit lumps or other free editors did it crappily, then I could consider buying deepsea. However we have programs like WinTex and XWE that do a pretty darn good job at lump editing, for free.

I believe that if deep wants people buying it he needs to put in something that none of the other editors have, which would be pretty hard. Deep, if you're reading this, good freaking luck.

For the most part, I agree, but realize this: Deepsea, Deep97, and DOSDeep were around long before Doombuilder and XWE were, and at the time I purchased it, the only alternatives were things like Deu, DoomEd, and whatever else. It supported hexen and heretic and zdoom modes before DB was around. It was quite impressive for its time. However, I think it's about time it's either gone down significantly in price (free updates, or whatever) or it becomes open source.

But then I don't think that'll ever happen. If I end up buying an upgrade, that'll be the last.

i got it now, and i must say, it is way better than doom builder. let's look at its features...

1. it has 3D editing (but so does db so it's not a big factor)
2. you can have up to 64,000 line defs (so your level can be quite large)
3. you can draw on textures! this means that you could write DOOM RULEZ0RZ!!1 on a wall, the floor, anything!
4. it comes with its own decorate.
5. you can draw across lines. (only in deepsea)
6. instead of having to deal with ups and downs, special line effects (stairs raise, door open etc.) you can just put a door or stairs in right away!
7. there's also a graphics editor i believe

so there's some of the things that makes deepsea BETTER than doom builder.