Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

How come... [there are no WAD competitions?]

How come there aren't any WAD competitions around here? I mean we've got fanfic and artwork, but no wads? or if there is how come know one will hit me upside the head and show me the way?

I mean I went to DF-21 which is a forum for SW Dark forces and every month they have a level competition with certain criteria etc, like an official one, I think it would be fun...

Crap this should be in general i bet.

There was a 10 sector one not so long ago...oh wait that was ages ago.
Join Community Chest 3 if there are places going...it's not a competition but it's a similar kinda thing

speedmapping doesn't count but it does look like good practice, oh and thanks for moving/renaming my post fredrik.

EDIT:
Ahem, I meant fraggle.

The reason there arent many is probably because it's a lot of work to run such a contest. Someone (preferably a group of people) has to sit and play through all the entries. Takes a lot of time.

Amaster said:

The reason there arent many is probably because it's a lot of work to run such a contest. Someone (preferably a group of people) has to sit and play through all the entries. Takes a lot of time.

Multiple judges?

Xanthier said:

How come there aren't any WAD competitions around here? I mean we've got fanfic and artwork, but no wads?

Why don't you set one up?
I'm sure people would help and there would be significant interest

duncan said:

Why don't you set one up?
I'm sure people would help and there would be significant interest

here's an interesting idea, I would need judges, let me contemplate how to set up such a project, what's the general consensus, any interested parties?

Xanthier said:

here's an interesting idea, I would need judges, let me contemplate how to set up such a project, what's the general consensus, any interested parties?

The CC3 cancellation is a perfect example of why these rarely work out. There will be plenty of people who will SAY they'll do one, but then for whatever god forsaken reason they can't finish it (there's also the people that will post just to say they'd like to make one but can't, which I just don't get). You'd get MAYBE 3-4 subissions and that'd be it, but with perhaps 5-8 times more people saying they'd actually try. It's not worth your time, trust me.

wow you sound bitter, like you've been there before, I don't really care for finding excuses to give up, I'd at least do it for one month and see if there are enough people participating to make it worthwhile.

Here is a format I saw on another site.

The tower-building contest

Rules:

1. Each author would have 1-months to work on their project.
2. Authors may only use addon materials publicly availible as of the start of the contest. with the exception of .PAL, .CMP, and .VUE files.
3. The defining rule: The Y dimension of the level must be equal or greater than the X and Z dimensions combined, and must exceed 200 DFU. In other words, the level must be a tower of some sort (duh).

I came up with this idea upon realizing that there isn't a decent level out there that has the Y axis as its longest axis. Considering the limitations provided by the JEDI raycasting engine, it would be interesting to see how much people could work with vertical arcitecture.

it seems fairly simple and straightforward.

Manc just gave the perfect reason why you go and announce a community megawad if you really only want a smaller level pack. It's ok. They think they're making levels for a megawad, but when all the posers dissipate before a month is up, you just announce the project's changed. And then you've still got a good 5 level chunk that can be submitted.

I'm sure that may be true Job but it's a lot different than what I am proposing which is single WADS...also I can't seem to get my mIRC configured right for the speedmapping channel, can anyone assist?