Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkhaven

Editing PSX Doom

Hello all, I've been without the internet for a while, so I've had some time to get some real work done on XDoom, but obviously that is not the point of this thread. The point is, I've finally gotten PSX Map Wads directly from the disc in a format readable by some editors!*

TOOLS YOU NEED
XWE
A good hex-editor (I suggest XVI32)
The PSX-Doom disc or Final Doom disc
The Windows Calculator

HOW TO DO IT[/u]
STEP 1:
Put PSX Doom in the drive, and open the disc.
STEP 2:
Go to this directory: /PSXDOOM/MAPDIRx (where x is any number available)
Then, select any WAD (be aware of those pesky MAPSPRxx.IMG files... I'll discuss those a little more later).
STEP 3:
Copy your selected WAD to anywhere on your HardDrive.
STEP 4:
Open it in XWE:

-Rename ÔHINGS to THINGS
-Rename ÌINEDEFS to LINEDEFS
-Rename ÓIDEDEFS to SIDEDEFS
-Rename ÖERTEXES to VERTEXES or VERTICES
-Rename ÓEGS to SEGS
-Rename ÓSECTORS to SSECTORS
-Rename ÎODES to NODES
-Rename ÓECTORS to SECTORS
-Rename ÒEJECT to REJECT
-Rename ÂLOCKMAP to BLOCKMAP
-Rename ÌEAFS to LEAFS
-Remove the ENDOFWAD entry
At this point you should be looking at a map that XWE can actually read now. However, it looks all fucked up, right? Well, that's too damn bad. I'm still working on fully converting everything, and the reason you need a hex editor for this is because you're probably going to need it later and you need the Calculator because LEAFS might need to be joined with NODES if my guess is right, but don't make any bets on it yet. I should have a list of texture names and what they look like in a PSX Wad at the end of this post eventually as well, so stay tuned. Now, onto our next section: modding PSX Doom and actually playing it on your PSX!

MODDING: Music

There's not really much you can do here for now, but you can replace the Redbook Audio among the things you could do. For example, let's go into this directory: /PSXDOOM/CDAUDIO/
You'll see that everything is a bunch of .RAW files... RAW Wave data! That would also explain the big filesizes that are not common in MP3's or OGG's and certainly not MOD's. Anyway, get something like winLAME and some of your favorite music and convert the music you want into WAV's with their 16-bit headers STRIPPED. The output should be a .RAW file! Then, just name it correctly and you have yourself some Redbook Audio!

MODDING: Changing Textures
If anyone has something that can convert .BMP's or whatever to .IMG's, I'd be happy to know, because that's the only way to do this. Anyway, once you have some converted images (?) goto this directory: /PSXDOOM/ABIN0/ and you'll notice PSXDOOM.WAD. This wad contains all the Flats, Textures (no TEXTURE1 lump to worry about, yay!) and the lump that contains the Colored Lights info for all the maps in the game, which will appear as LIGHTS. It should be pretty obvious where the textures and flats are, as the flats are quite obviously marked and the textures are just above them. Have fun!

RUNNING YOUR MODDED PSX DOOM
WHAT YOU NEED:
-Paper clip or something of that nature
-Your modded disc
-An un-MODded PS1 (no blue Playstations, sorry! :P)
-The original PSX Doom disc

To begin, you must, obviously, burn your PSXDoom mod to a disc (duh). Make sure you include ALL DATA, MODDED OR NOT, in your burn list. Now, DO NOT, AND I REPEAT, DO NOT USE THE WINDOWS DISC-BURNER THING. IT WILL NOT WORK. Use Nero or something of that nature. Anyway, once your disc is burned, turn your attention to your good 'ole PSX... open the disc cover, and you'll notice in the upper-right corner of the tray that there's a little circular button with a dot in the middle of it. If that button's down, the PSX keeps running the game. If it's up, it stops. That's it. Now, nigger-rig up your PSX with that paperclip so that the button is constantly depressed whether the tray is open or not (but preferrably when it is open, heheh). Now, put your original PSX Doom disc in the tray and fire up your PSX. Just wait for that annoying "golden S" screen to pass by... As soon as the black "PS" screen with all that copyright shit comes up, quickly swap out your original Doom disc with the modded disc. From here your modded PSX Doom disc should work. Have fun... Heheheh...

* = Doom Builder is not included in this list.

More to come.

DISCUSS.

I've pretty much done all of the above that you've mentioned except modding stuff :P

The textures are impossible to extract from PSXDoom wad since its in a completly different format.

While the wad info headers like linedefs, segs etc remain intact, everything else is completly different. I've been trying crack the format for a long time but failed each time I attempted it.

For a moment I got excited that you figured it out, but got dissapointed after reading the line after " -Remove the ENDOFWAD entry" since this is the same result that I've gotten before..

I think without a source code we may be outta luck. The music editing you mentioned is easy, but that only replaces the cd audio, which isnt used ingame, except for the club doom track. Sounds may be possible to edit someday, a program just needs to be written for it, kinda like snessor, u can replace the SNES sound files. maybe GFX would be possible, but i dunno about everything else. We'll just have to settle with a TC for now. Speaking of which, how's the progress on the CONSOLE DOOM 2 Kaiser?

Actually ShaneAmp, you're kind of wrong. The CD Audio is used for the Intro screen, Intermission Screen, Main Menu, Club Doom, and ending screens.

Anyway, sounds are possible as it is now with a Hex-Editor and PSound, and maybe winLAME or something similar if sounds need to be converted. Also, the GFX as both I and Kaiser said are in .IMG format, maybe if some editor out there reads that. Also, I'm working on cracking out a textures list right now as well as a way to convert the maps, just give me a little more time.

By the way, Kaiser, have you done anything with the LEAFS lump? PM me if you'd please.

its extremly difficult, I've compared Entryway (map31 in psxdoom) with the PC map01 of doom2 and both are completly different in both size and the way the linedefs are organized (however, both still contains the same amount of linedefs and sectors, both read 370 for linedefs and 59 for sectors)

The first character of each entry in the wad files has a pattern to it, lets say you take the first letter of the entry ' ÌINEDEFS' the Ì in hex is 'CC'. Subtract that by 80 and you get '4C' which is L. this applies to the other wad entries..

Also, a utility called PSOUND is cabable of extracting LCD files, which contains both the sound files and the loop samples for the ambient music.

Also no idea on leafs, I am assuming this is some bsp modifcation for PSXDoom to handle... dunno for sure.

Yeah, thats why i said "IN GAME" by that i meant while your playing it. The ambient music couldnt be replaced that way.

Very interesting! I've been hacking away at Saturn Doom on and off since I got it years ago, and only lately with all the wad editing tools have I been able to get anywhere. The structure of the wads appears to be similar to PSX Doom, the maps are separated into folders for about every 10 levels, there's a map1.wad and a 'mapspr1.img' file that goes with each map. I don't know what this .img file does.

On the root directory of the disc is a 'jimsdoom.wad' that contains textures, flats and sprites, all in an unreadable format. I didn't find any sounds in this wad though, not sure where those are on the disc.

Also a strange thing, there's a folder for sky textures, within there are .lmp files for the demos. For each sky (there are like 9 of them) there's a .map file and a .chr file.
I'll keep playing around with this version and see if there's anything new I can do with it. Please keep your progress on PSX Doom posted as these versions seem quite similar.

That will be entirely possible when and if I or Kaiser or Use3D (or any combination of us) figures out the PSX map format.

Oh, and slight update:

It appears that, as I expected, each colored lighting "script" is composed of 6 bytes: Map number, Sector Tag, Red value, Green value, Blue value, and intensity; that is, intensity applied over current sector brightness. For example, a blue value of 203 in ZDoom would be equal to a sector brightness of 203 and a blue intensity of FF, or 255. Obviously, all values are entered in Hex. Also, as it seems, this LIGHTS lump is parsed just before the game starts, and I'm guessing that, to cut down on loading times, there are separators to separate DooM 1 lights from DooM 2 lights, but I'm not exactly sure. I'll be looking into this more as I progress on this subject.

By the way, Use3D, did you happen to come across a LIGHTS lump in JIMSDOOM.WAD?

EDIT: There's also a PSXDOOM.EXE file in the ABIN/ directory... Curious...

MAJOR UPDATE: You can edit the strings found in-game with a hex-editor on PSXDOOM.EXE. Now, to see if the strings are stored in the same location as DOOM2.EXE...

EDIT: Nope. The strings table in PSXDOOM.EXE start waaaay too early for DEHACKED to read 'em... And on a related note, there's a SPRITES1 lump in PSXDOOM.WAD. I'm assuming this is something similar to TEXTURE1, since sprites textures and flats are all stored in an identical format.

ANOTHER MAJOR UPDATE: I see that the same "subtract 80 in hex" deal somewhat applies to the maps themselves... If you subtract 80 in hex from every byte (excluding the entry names themselves) and save to a separate WAD, then remove the ENDOFWAD marker and change the I at the beginning of the WAD to a P, you can open it in DooM Builder but you will most likely get a map with only 1 vertex and some outrageous number of linedefs, sidedefs, etc. Keep in mind this is a WIP but I'm still making progress. If anyone's too lazy to do so for themselves, I'll be posting a partly-converted MAP01.WAD from PSX DooM using my latest method of conversion shortly.

Darkhaven said:

Oh, and slight update:

It appears that, as I expected, each colored lighting "script" is composed of 6 bytes: Map number, Sector Tag, Red value, Green value, Blue value, and intensity; that is, intensity applied over current sector brightness.

where? in the lights lump? also could you paste an example of the hex?

I also knew about the psxdoom exe, which uses a lot of the oringinal doom strings, nothing special there.

Both in the lights lump and I found reference to it elsewhere in the maps, and by "I foud reference to it elsewhere" I mean I found identical hex strings in certain parts of SECTORS lumps in some maps. As far as how I decoded this... It happened kind of on accident, and I barely remember how I did it, but it involved stripping the first half of the string (for example, AE would equal 0E) and adding it to the second... Something like that. I need to look back on this for a second, I'll update again shortly.

And to Agamemnon XVI, not quite yet. Still working on it. But you can currently change strings, you can sorta change colored lights if you know where to look for them in the LIGHTS lump, and you can change sounds to some extent.

Darkhaven said:

By the way, Use3D, did you happen to come across a LIGHTS lump in JIMSDOOM.WAD?

Actually yes, there is a LIGHTS lmp in this wad, however, Saturn Doom has no colored lighting! There's also a SPRITE1.lmp, both of those lmps are just rows of hex in XWE, as expected.
I'm positive the Saturn would be able to support the colored lighting, I wonder if there's a way to 'turn it on'. The port of this version of Doom was done so half assed I'm surprised anything works. And an interesting note, there's no .exe of any kind on this disc.

Oh Darkhaven, what are the .img files that go with the individual map wads?? Have you found any fucntion for them? In the last map folder of Saturn Doom there are .img files that have NO map to go with, as if those maps were never included. The .img files for those maps contain a single string of text that says 'empty' ...weird??

I *think* the IMG files are used outside of the maps to reference textures and sprites used in the maps, for what purpose i'm not sure. I just don't see why there would be textures stored outside of the PSXDOOM.WAD and have textures inside the wad!