Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom Marine

Feature Request: Customizable Lighting Increments

The current DB has the ability to change sector lighting by 1 or 16 unit increments. I like to change sector lighting by 10-unit increments.

When it comes to lighting, the 16-unit system [0, 16, 32...] is used very often, and good for those who use it. I prefer to use the 10-unit [0, 10, 20...] lighting system in my level, since it gives a smoother light gradient than the 16-unit system.

A good demonstration of the 10-unit lighting system can be seen in AV Map20, AV Map29, and other Malde and Johnsen maps. From these examples, I started to apply 10-unit lighting to my maps, as seen in DV.

I tried to operate the 10-unit lighting system by a combination of 1-unit and 16-units increment keys, in practice it was too awkward and required too many keyboard taps to be practical. So I tried the next best thing: manually changing the sector lighting via sector properties.

Changing the lighting by going into sector properties works well up to a point, but when my map grew very large, it became very time consuming to change the lighting via sector properties.

I would like a 10-unit increment key for changing the lighting in 3-D mode, that would save me about 90 minutes of work on each of my map.

This suggestion is a little bit specific, but it's worth a shot!

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: Customizable lighting increments request.

If I'm not mistaken DOOM engines use 16 unit increments for lighting, so wouldn't 10 unit increments fail to make a difference on some of the steps? If you set two adjacent light levels to 20 and 30 you wouldn't see a difference between them, supposedly, because they are both greater than 16 but less than 32.

To increase the usefullness of this;
what about simply making a customizeable light-level-intervall?
Default setting would be 16 units, but you could change it to whatever you want...

Possible?

myk: Interesting point, but I still think the 10-unit lighting system has its applications when it comes to OpenGL-enhanced ports such as Doomsday or GLBoom.

I support Vader's idea. I wouldn't want to use a 10 unit increment, I would like to use 8 unit increment, because it matches better with the amount of lightlevels...

Well, I know there is a difference in zDoom for 10 light level increments. I tried making one sector with a light level of 140, and one next to it with a light level of 130, and could see a difference.

As for whether you could see the difference in Doom2.exe, I have no idea. But I do know it's not limited to just GL ports.

Original Doom.exe had 32 light levels (8 unit increments). I believe all software ports (Zdoom etc) are the same, as there is little point in having more levels when running in 8-bit video modes.

Well, that explains why I could see the difference in zDoom then.

So logical software mode light levels would be:

Just a quick reference list for those who are interested.

I'm pretty sure ZDoom changed it so that each light level from 0-255 is different, although I don't think it makes a big visual difference.

If the light-level I want isn't a default value, I just type the in the drop-down box. When DB offers 0, 8, 16, etc, the value can be overriden simply by typing over it - it's not a true selection drop-down box because the values are only defaults and can be edited over.

You can even edit the defaults in the per-game .cfg file, but DB isn't smart enough to correctly extend the box itself if there are more values in the default list than it expects - I know, 'cos I tried :) It starts using two columns!

As for DOOM - I've been using ZDoom for so long, I didn't even KNOW that vanilla engines could only have increments of 16 :)

one suspects it's a limitation of the 256 color palete. that there arent enough shades of each color to reproduce the effect as desired. hence at low light levels everythig becomes black with a bit of grey.