Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CommanderHoek

inspiration for a megawad

hi, i'm kinda stuck and i need some ideas for a megawad, and perhaps some pictures to give me some good ideas if anyone wouldn't mind helping. or maybe you could point me to a doom site that has lots of resources for classic doom

I figure it would help if the Megawad has a central theme. That way you could tell a story through out the maps, and have a rough idea what each map should/ could be.

Example of story:
Monsters attacked city and captured fellow marines.

First 10 maps:
Fight through infested city maps and find access to hell.

Next 10 maps:
Enter hell and rescue marines.

Last 10 maps:
Get revenge and kill mastermind behind the attack.

m0l0t0v said:

I figure it would help if the Megawad has a central theme. That way you could tell a story through out the maps, and have a rough idea what each map should/ could be.

Example of story:
Monsters attacked city and captured fellow marines.

First 10 maps:
Fight through infested city maps and find access to hell.

Next 10 maps:
Enter hell and rescue marines.

Last 10 maps:
Get revenge and kill mastermind behind the attack.

Isn't it time to think of something different than this lame story over and over again? Why does it always have to be hell? :(

Hah!

I'm personally making a WAD that just details some gameplay/game-making theories I've been kicking around for a year now. I'm going to insert (Into the .WAD, probably, so only überkeen geekolas can check it :P) a lengthy textfile detailing some of the conventions I've employed, and how these enhance the gameplay.

You don't have to do that, but the message is here nonetheless; show what you're made of, make it individual.

Really, don't just make a megawad that lies awake at night wishing it were HR2 or something, because that's stupid and you're a jackoff. Instead, do something new, if you can :P

Graf Zahl said:
Isn't it time to think of something different than this lame story over and over again? Why does it always have to be hell? :(

Eh, no Hell? Might as well change the monsters to smurfs while we're at it... since "demons" generally have something to do with Hell.

Unless they're texture artists, I wouldn't expect someone starting their first project to do anything but a standard DOOM themed set: otherwise they'd also require a seasoned graphics team to add resources for other environments, and they'd be wasting their time creating something "new" as opposed to getting to know the game design mechanics well to produce a fun and challenging wad.

In any case, if someone were creating a set with a new style, then it should be a couple maps or at most an episode... for megawads its better not to go wild with theme elements, considering most existing resources fit the general DOOM settings one way or another.

I don't really think a story is all that important.
Personally, I'd first come up with a theme (and when I say theme, I mean something along the lines of the look of the level) ,then make some levels using said theme. Then perhaps gradually change the theme after the first few maps,,, then once I'm satisfied that I've created some good levels that I enjoy then I'd start thinking about a story.

Basically what I'm saying is: the story takes a back seat while the gameplay and style of the wad drive :p
(unless of course your going for one of those moody ZDoom releases with all the scripts n' stuff, but I don't think thats what you have on mind)

myk said:

In any case, if someone were creating a set with a new style, then it should be a couple maps or at most an episode... for megawads its better not to go wild with theme elements, considering most existing resources fit the general DOOM settings one way or another.

I never understood this insane need to make 'megawads'. In terms of quality the smaller episodes are better most of the time.

Sometimes it takes a megawad to get the entire theme of the wad down. Take Hell Revealed for instance. It wouldn't have been nearly as good had it say, 13 levels. Equinox however pulls off 13 levels very well.