Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

How to Be Emo

i like grunge and the Seattle sound as much as the next person, but when that fad of extremely tame grunge songs like Polly came around it got really stupid really quick.

Ed said:
There is nothing remotely metal about Led Zeppelin.

I don't think Led Zeppelin is a metal band, but they do have to do with it influentially with songs like Stairway to Heaven and No Quarter.

Metal is distiguished particularly by its classic-epic quality (from coarse death metal to melodic power metal); many bands in turn are obviously influenced by it but aren't metal. Faith No More is an example. You could say some bands have written some metal songs or even have metal roots, but then most of what they've done can hardly be considered metal specifically.

Danarchy said:

Better, yes. What of it?

I was being sarcastic... I am actually a huge Pearl Jam fan.
I was just sticking up for Metal.

Danarchy said:

EMO SUCKS HARD
METAL SUCKS LONG
END OF DISCUSSION

Yeah, I'd have to say Zep isn't metal either. They actually were influenced more by the blues and that type of sound. I do think a lot of metal bands kind of picked up and evolved from where zep left off. Heh, there's also some comparable characteristics of Zep lyrics and emo lyrics.

MasterOfPuppets said:

i like grunge and the Seattle sound as much as the next person, but when that fad of extremely tame grunge songs like Polly came around it got really stupid really quick.

Yeah, Nirvana killed grunge. The only good band around after they got famous was Alice in Chains, though Soundgarden was pretty good too. Pearl Jam's only good album was Ten.

I didn't like Audioslave when I first heard them on the radio. Then I saw them in concert and they totaly blew me away.

Of course it helped that Chris Cornell and Maynard did a cover of an Elvis Costello song together in the middle of Audioslave's act. :D

BlackAsDaNight said:

Same thing... eitherway it aint death metal. Any underground death metal fans on this forum?

me, despite my thrash legacy name >.>

Back when I was 15 and 16, heavy metal was my life. I used to be fused psychologically to the genre. Now that I lightened up, all I can do is look back at the music - and my past self - and laugh.

AAAAANNNNGEL OF DEEEEEAAAAAAATTHH!!!!!!!!111`~ GOTH SLAYER SATAN NAZI BLAAARGHGGG *guitar solo*

MasterOfPuppets said:

me, despite my thrash legacy name >.>

Dude metallica are sell outs, anything before the black album was cool but either way they ain't no death metal

BlackAsDaNight said:

Dude metallica are sell outs, anything before the black album was cool but either way they ain't no death metal

did you even listen to what i said? i said i liked death, not that metallica was death metal.

and yeah, gatewatcher, i agree.

gatewatcher said:

I like how as soon as bands start making money, they all of the sudden suck.

Depends what bands you listen to and how much "money" your on about, Morbid Angel are loaded (in my opinion) and there new album is pretty cool although gateways sucked a little.

hmmm "Death" are ok i prefer more brutal dm though like Devourment, Cineary, Necrotic Disgorgement, Deeds of Flesh e.t.c

I guess what I should have said was, I like the fact that when a band makes a lot of money off their music, they're branded as sellouts regardless of the fact that not all of them drastically change after they sign. I guess it's jealousy, or a sense of abandonment by the "real fans."

It might be jealousy or nostalgia in some cases, but many bands or artists are hardly interested in making music principally for money. Metallica always wanted to be huge, and at first they moved on underground and then metal venues, but eventually they got big while they inserted a fad-like alternative sound into their repertoire. I don't think everything they did from or after the black album is bad, but those changes are there. And Lars got all bitchy about you downloading MP3s.

The black album itselft was shite, I mean before hand they had a sound like early Testament, Overkill and Sodom.

Eitherway yeah I see what you means about bands selling out but for example one of my favorite bands called "Krisiun" I personally think theve got better each album where as in the case of metallica - mate, there sell outs pure and simple. They ditched there whole lyrical and musical approach aswell as the image. Anything after black album onwards was all to sell to the main crowds ... bullshit did they "develop" that sound. Listen to other popular metal bands round that era and notice how they have the same sound? Also notice how metllica's new album is just a load of nu metal non-sense to fit in with the nu metal korn/slipknot bumming crowd.

i'm not debating that metallica changed a hell of a lot. i agree with you, their latest album sucked hard, in my opinion.

i don't think they made the change simply to appeal to more people. they were huge even before the black album. i think they just got really experimental. you can see the experimenting begin in the black album, with more melodic and structured songs with less raw energy.

now, slipknot on the other hand. i cannot blame them totally because that guy (forget his name, the main singer) blew out his vocal cords and can't do his hard screem anymore. however, it pisses me off how they then redid some old songs in their new "softy" style, and suddenly that crap is on the damn radio. but at least that one dosn't bother me too much, as slipknot never was anything underground or "true."

but back to emo:it sucks.

I went to a family reunion on Monday, and it turns out one of the American branch, a third cousin once removed, is emo. Oh dear.

NiGHTMARE said:

I went to a family reunion on Monday, and it turns out one of the American branch, a third cousin once removed, is emo. Oh dear.

That would explain the attempt at removal.