Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Siggi

Has Doom ever mocked you???

Have you ever played a map, that just as you thought you were getting somewhere just as you thought you had the upper hand, you suffer a disgracefull defeat and then you can just hear the whole thing mock you?

This is what it looks like to be mocked...

I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Share your tales of Doom embarrasment

I have to say that's pretty fuckin hilarious. Irony tends to be. :D

Well, as for myself, I was doing Nightmare E1 runs just recently and I managed to make all the way to E1M6 without saving or dying once, and I ran into an area that looked completely empty and was shot down by a hidden former human sargeant from one stray shotgun pellet, quite a long distance aways I might add.

And of course, bout that time, my arms flew into the air from disgust and down came half of the crap from my shelves.

Doom once did much the same to me as your screenshot with a soulsphere in Alien Vendetta (can't remember the map). Pissed me off royally.

I was playing in Doom2 UV once and I died a couple of inches from the exit Teleporter.

That was pretty embarrassing.

And grabbing the INvuln in NM and being surrounded by Pigs while the effect wears off...

Once, I managed to barely survive a rough battle involving at least one cyberdemon, only to get killed by a single bullet from a zombie before I had a chance to save the game.

In Doom map29 the cyberdemon killed my doomguy with the rocket and the doomguy slided into that exit and then it starts to do those intermission stuffs...

In that case, you'd be mocking Doom, since you made it past map 29 and you would end up with all weapons and 200 health and armor at the start of map 30 anyway.

Sometimes I am playing a tough battle and then when it's over, a relatively easy monster (like a Lost Soul) will be around the corner, and will just nip me real quick and I die...GAH I hate that so much.

Sometimes I think I can dodge a projectile but then I get stuck on the stupidest fucking thing behind me (like a lamp) and then I'll get hit by the projectile, and since Doom likes to be mean, it will do the max damage it will do and I'll just say "figures."

I don't know why, but if I see a flurry of fireballs coming from a distance closing in on me, I can see a path to strafe through them. Yet for some odd reason, though I'm fully capable of dodging them all, almost no matter how many, I seem to almost deliberately, subconsciously strafe into one lone fireball at the rear of the barrage.

The wad author can be the most of a "mocker" intentionaly also. like when your totaly drained and you also scoured the map of all health/armor so theres nothing left that you can go back for, and the teleporter area/room is chock full of imps/trap door chaingunners -i mean c'mon.. but under normal map play i have fallen victim to a kill within a sprite/pixalation of that exit switch myself numerous times. or the kill at the grab of a weapon or health/ammo.

Load up Hell Revealed map18.

Getting mooned by a Cyberdemon right off the bat isn't very flattering.

I believe it was inKama Sutra where a zombieman nailed me from MILES AWAY after I'd just finished wasting some revenants.

when the invisibility sphere just makes it worse when you dodge projectiles :S

I beat 3 cyberdemons on some old map (can't remember) and was running to an exit. A lost soul killed me.
:/
:\

Dying right on top of an invulnerability sphere is one of my "favourites". Evilution map17 provides a nice opportunity for this, if you're speedrunning (or strolling) it, at least.

In the "killed by something stupid after doing all the difficult stuff" category, on Henry.wad map04 I got through almost to the exit in a very hard pacifist run, only to be blocked repeatedly by a lost soul as my last remnants of health got eaten away.

I've had the case only a few days ago, same as your screenshot. In fact is the screenshot from E3M7 Gate to limbo? LOL I got killed by the toxic after killing 4 Sergiants, 2 Demons and 2 Cacodemons at the start of the level...

The classic moments would be dying in front of an invulnerability sphere or an exit, that's not in question...

LeX said:

In fact is the screenshot from E3M7 Gate to limbo?

I have no idea,, its not like the screenshot is giving any clues to aid my memory either. Although, I think that happened in Evilution seeing as I've been playing through that recently.

On the subject of slime and lava: I hate it so much when your playing a relatively easy map and because you're getting kinda complacent you slip into the stuff and there is no way out... :(

I was on E3M6 merrily killing things and having just picked up a radiation suit. I start shooting a group of cacodemons. I had around 30% health and plenty of room to run around, so health wasn't a problem. I was about halfway done when I got hit from something. It wasn't a cacodemon because they were all in front of me and I could tell if one of them hit me. I looked around, saw nothing else, and continued to blast away. Once they were all dead, I had a bit more than 10% health, so I looked for more. As I got close to solid ground (I was on the lava for all this time so far), I get hit again and died.

Only later on did I find that that type of lava can still randomly hurt you even when you're using a radiation suit.

That's odd how that stuff can still hurt you with radiation suit on...what kind of lava is it? Most slime and lava do no penetrate the radiation suit.

Ichor is right - the highest damage type of floor does randomly "get through" the rad suit.

Heh, I just got mocked again!

I was playing Console Doom at 'Watch Your Step" and everything was goin fine until the big monster raid at the end of the level. The two Cyberdemons took care of most of the monsters for me but I had to retaliate. I was shooting a Cyber and he began to launch rockets. I strafed right, only to find a pillar. I was stuck and I caught his rocket in the teeth. Doomguy even made his PDIEHI noise!

I also hate getting mocked with the weapons switching. I was playing with ZDguns and I had a really good gun out, killing some imps, but then I picked up a Firebomb and it ended shooting when it came out and I killed myself.

I played up to Map09 with ZDguns for fun and I got to the part where the Lost Souls and Chaingun guys come out. I had my good rocket launcher ready and when the doors opened, I fired a rocket, but at the same time a Lost Soul came flying at me. When the rocket exploded, it hit the Lost Soul which was just too close. I died.

Ichor said:

In that case, you'd be mocking Doom, since you made it past map 29 and you would end up with all weapons and 200 health and armor at the start of map 30 anyway.

I think it mocked me, because I couldn't beat the cyberdemon. In one occasion on that map the cyberdemon rocket just pushed me to the exit and didn't kill me. It may be me mocking Doom, but the mock comes back in a reversal way, like "Hahah, you couldn't beat me because I sent you through that portal to meet someone bigger and badder than me" The cyberdemon mocks me if it does that.

Jimi said:

In Doom map29 the cyberdemon killed my doomguy with the rocket and the doomguy slided into that exit and then it starts to do those intermission stuffs...

In a Quake 1 e1m1 deathmatch I once chopped someone down out of air with an axe swipe from behind as he was jumping onto the exit teleporter. So his lifeless carcus just plopped onto the teleporter without the level changing and he was like WTF?!

I think I was playing Equinox Map04 once (one with a lot of imps), and I was fending off the hordes of zombies in front of me with my chaingun when an imp had nailed me from behind. He started infighting with another, and when he won, his butt was right in my face.

Gah.

Bashe said:

I was stuck and I caught his rocket in the teeth. Doomguy even made his PDIEHI noise!

No no. That's the sound the doomguy makes when he takes the rocket in the groin.

Haha! Thats funny!
I would have to say dying within inches of the exit would be the worst I have ever encounterd, and boy did I get pissed, I even was yelling foul words at my computer! : P