Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ebon

Scoring in Eternity DOOM

What about implementing score and a 'hall of fame' in Eternity Engine? So that you gain points when you kill a monster, get an item, find a secret, end with 100% kills, items or secrets, or end under par. Just like in Wolfenstein 3-D. That'll make 'treasure hunting' more important than before. Score is to be shown on the HUD or with a console command. One could edit the points in a BEX/EDF.

To be honest, a complex scoring system just doesn't work for Doom. I tried it some time ago and the results just weren't satisfactory. Many user levels arent suitable for it anyway.

I think something simple that weighs the total playing time by taking item, monster and secret percentage (and skill level) into account might be much better to create meaningful comparisons.

I've thrown around the idea of making an "arcade mode" now and then, but it's just the kind of thing that's extremely low priority to me. Who knows, I might do something along that vein eventually just for the heck of it.

Quasar said:

I've thrown around the idea of making an "arcade mode" now and then, but it's just the kind of thing that's extremely low priority to me. Who knows, I might do something along that vein eventually just for the heck of it.

heh, I thought I'd bump this.

A scoring system was one of the things I wished would have stayed in Doom. If you DO use a scoring system- have the press release scoring table as default. I don't remember the scoretable off the top of my head(it's on doomworld somewhere)...