• Requiem
    • Eternal Doom 3
    • Alien Vendetta
    • Strain
    • Community Chest 2
    • Icarus - Alien Vanguard
    • Hell Revealed
    • Kama Sutra

I wanted to pick 3 which I love equally: Memento Mori 1, Memento Mori 2, and Requiem.

But since I'm only limited to one choice here, I voted for Memento Mori 1.

I voted for 'Icarus: Alien Vanguard'. Probably the mod I like the best, because of how it succeeded in getting me back to DOOMing after a long rest. I like the storyline very much, and how the levels reflect it with great consistency throughout. The music, with not one doubt, is the very greatest I've ever listened to in a DOOM mod, and I can say I've played many!

Equinox can't really be considered a megawad as it doesn't have 20 levels.
IIRC it only has 12.

community chest 2, or alien vendetta. some of the levels are really nice looking

the first Scythe abso-fuckin-lutely remarkable quick gameplay... not the Dead Simple style, though...

Cool, the only wad I contributed to in that list is on top. Anyway, I voted Eternal Doom cause when I played it the first time it seriously disturbed me and have remained in a special place of my heart ever since. Everything from the hud face to the music is awesome. Of course, it's a bit dated. But still.

I enjoyed playing Requiem the most and my 2nd choice would be Alien Vendetta.

Both had impressive levels and music and enjoyed playing through both of them for hours.

i have been on a doom fix for like six months and i played many of the named megawads. Scythe 2 wins because it is the most balanced and fun.

I've always hated megawads. Make some episodes, seriously man.

But I voted for Icarus.

What's wrong with megawads? Well, besides the fact that most of them get boring after about 10 maps.. but it's not like you have to play through the entire thing in one sitting. :P

Epyo said:

I've always hated megawads. Make some episodes, seriously man.

Define 01-10 as Episode 1, 11-20 as Episode 2, and 21-30 as Episode 3. "Problem" solved.

Grazza said:
Define 01-10 as Episode 1, 11-20 as Episode 2

Indeed, and Erik Alm's wads even do it for you. I'd say Maps 1-11 and 12-20 respectively (unless you're recording for COMPET-N,) though.

OK Here is what I meant to say (my computer can be damn slow sometimes)

I like Super Sonic DOOM and Alien Vendetta.

Why isn't SSD up there anyways? It's a megawad.

Pure Hellspawn said:

Why isn't SSD up there anyways? It's a megawad.

Maybe because it's for ZDoom (and it's not classic Doom gameplay.) Daedalus is missing as well.

Not every single megawad ever made is going to be listed. Probably just the ones that are most widely accepted.

HR and HR2 too. Just try to play for example HR2map32 with Vanilla.

ducon said:

HR and HR2 too. Just try to play for example HR2map32 with Vanilla.

I presume you mean due to the visible sprite and savegame buffer limits (in which case these apply to some of the other ones listed too). They don't require a port though; Vile even recorded a Max demo on map32 in the hr2 beta using Doom2.exe. And BTW, HR2 isn't in the poll, while those issues don't appear in many levels in HR. Moreover, HR was released well before source ports existed, so it doesn't make much sense to say that it is a port wad.

Anyway, there was nothing in this poll saying anything about them having to be vanilla compatible (BTW, CC2 isn't either - hell, it's not even fully Boom compatible).

There are a few dozen good megawads and probably over a hundred megawads in total. Polls can only have a maximum of 14 options (I think), so there are going to be some "missing" no matter what.