Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutch Doomer

E1M3: Toxin Refinery

Started early this week with an new map, its going to be an remake of the original map.
Im creating this wad from scratch, im not trying to pimp the original one.
Its going to be an clean wad, that means no new textures, sounds, sprites etc.
So far the results are pretty good, its nothing that makes you guys go wow.
Dont know if im going to release this one, because its nothing more than an remake.
Check the screens below, some look kinda dull and might need some detailing.

Um yeah there goes my original idea :(, nah I just want to create my own version.
I was aware that people allready made their own versions, im just trying to make my own toxin refinery.
Its my alltime favourite map from the first episode, im creating this for doom2 btw.

Why is nobody ever doing e1m6, imo the best map in the whole episode 1. :P

Wait till you see what Nmn and others have done with E1M6 in KDIZD :). Our (primarily Vader's) version of E1M3 is probably the best level in the set too ;).

NiGHTMARE said:

Our (primarily Vader's) version of E1M3 is probably the best level in the set too ;).

If you say 'one of the best maps ever' it'd be more accurate. ;) (and yes, I really believe so!)

Bah, a pox on you, E1M6 lovers! The damn thing was a maze with a little bit of pretty architecture slapped on at the end. I'm rather fond of E1M9, myself. Oh, and personally, I'd really love to see a high-detail version of E1M1. Favorite map of all time. I once started on such a project, but I lost my train of thought halfway through and gave up.

stop hijacking the thread with your pimping, fuckers.

dutch: I love the look of this. Wonderful, wonderful texture useage. Really nice.

Nice screenies, it would be a pitty if you didn't release this. It looks like it would be fun to play through a few times.

I think remakes, wait,, good remakes are amusing. Even if they are not a challenge or original, its interesting to see how other people would make the level.

Thanks all of you, well then im releasing it altough its just an remake.
Its my first serious attempt at making an tech themed wad btw.

Updates see first post.
Im almost done with this map, working on the last few sectors at the moment.
I only use low level monsters, nothing stronger than an demon/spectre.
The map is for Zdoom doom2 map01, replaced the music and used some DooM 1 textures.
Currently I used a little over 1600 sectors for this map, more than 200 monsters are in there.
All secrets that are in the original are also in my version plus a few extra secrets.
No new sounds or sprites are used, I kept it as clean as possible.

Psycho Siggi said:

I think remakes, wait,, good remakes are amusing. Even if they are not a challenge or original, its interesting to see how other people would make the level.

The reason why I started this small project, is because I was wondering if I could't make an original doom map from scratch.
I wanted to know if my skills where good enough to pull this off, and my mapping skills have improved alot.
The map comes imo nowhere near the one for the KDiZD project, but its still an pretty good looking map.
Some areas where pretty difficult for me to let them look closely to the original map.
As for gameplay most of the time it plays about the same as the original.
But I added some nasty traps here and there, that the original map didn't had.

sitters said:

Looks good dutch, especially shot 1.Great work keep on going.

Thanks im glad you like it, and I hope you keep on mapping.

But remember, the difference between this map and KDIZD E1M3 is that yours has a chance of getting released sometime before the sun explodes.

The new screenshots look very nice. I hope you can match the gameplay to episode 1 as well.