Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

Realistic Objects(Showoff Thread)

the pencil is a bit too fat to be realistic. unless its a novelty pencil?
and that 'writing' is just way too weird looking. it looks like a grill. perhaps have a custom writing-looking floor texture?

just being picky is all.

A WIP tank Frades made using 3d floors and meticulous texturing in Legacy.

Realistic detail in Bloodskull's sense (small stupid shit like pens and stuff) fails.

Realistic detail in Frade's sense is, however, awesome.

zarkyb said:

Realistic detail in Bloodskull's sense (small stupid shit like pens and stuff) fails.

Realistic detail in Frade's sense is, however, awesome.

While the tank is undeniably cool, I think the small objects Bloodskull has made are pretty nice as well. This shows an attention to the smaller detail in the levels, whereas the tank is more of a centerpoint.

Foofoo said:

the pencil is a bit too fat to be realistic. unless its a novelty pencil?

I think that's just a side effect of looking up and down in the "not true 3D" Doom engine. Things always become skewed vertically.

zarkyb said:

I quite agree. It can even fail as architectual details on a map (and not just Babrie toy styled junk) mainly because of DOOM's squareness and due to the scale of the game's graphics. A Wolfenstein 3D styled wad (like Halten Sie!, or Wolfenstein 3D itself) will generally look better than a wad that uses such small scale detail.

I have this idea, right...

You make a 2d image of a pencil or a cellphone or a calculator... and... GET THIS... REPLACE ART IN A WAD AND USE IT AS A FLAT, WALL, OR SPRITE!!!

BRILLIANT!

Fiend said:

I have this idea, right...

You make a 2d image of a pencil or a cellphone or a calculator... and... GET THIS... PUT NEW ART IN A WAD AND USE IT AS A FLAT, WALL, OR SPRITE!!!

BRILLIANT!

OMG NO FUCKING WAY

Anyone here have realistic objects that the player can actually interact with in the game? (Like a vending machine, you put money in and an actual drink comes out that you can drink to heal yourself).

The concept of realistic pictures is 1990s material I think.

Pure Hellspawn said:

Anyone here have realistic objects that the player can actually interact with in the game? (Like a vending machine, you put money in and an actual drink comes out that you can drink to heal yourself).

RTC has this on Deck 2 I think. You choose a drink through the little submenu and heal yourself by +10.

Yeah it did, but it didn't heal you 10%

Someone made a piano that you could "play" for legacy once.

RTC had a bunch of stuff you could interact with, Acton Doom had actual working arcade machines.

ED)T: Bloodskull. I dunno how you figured it, but that pencil would be a million times more realistic if you made it one unit thing instead of giving it the same thickness as the player-sprites arm.

Hey. That tank is an awesome work that clearly took hours to make. AWESOME. I made a pretty good-looking tank once, but not with 3d floors like that. Now that I know its possible to make it look really awesome, I'm going to make one like that whenever I need a tank in a map. Great work.

But speaking of interacting with 3d objects- for my upcoming mod, which is for EDGE(meaning high levels of interactivity, even with 3d stuff), what kind of stuff have you always wanted to be able to interact with in doom? I would like to make some of these things in the mod. For example, I could easily make a playable piano(where the keys go down and all), but that would be useless to gameplay.

Your work looks good Bloodskull, it could use some work though, and if 1 sector unit in height still is too big for something, use sprites or 2D walls instead.

How high is that pencil sector anyway, 2 pixels? 3? You're crazy.

An idea for the paper/book there would be to change the brownish sector to the greywhitish texture (the one with 2 light variations), and the writings to the white rock texture. Or make similar new ones so the colours will match...

Tank looks great, yeah.

Bloodskull said:

Hey thats pretty cool looking, nice find Iori.

That doesn't even come close to justifying it. The more I realize about how hard it is to make a tank like that, the more and more impressed I become.

gemini09 said:

How high is that pencil sector anyway, 2 pixels? 3? You're crazy.

I'm pretty sure its 4. and oddly enough, across its only 3. Which is what is probably making it look so thick

Nick Perrin said:

That doesn't even come close to justifying it. The more I realize about how hard it is to make a tank like that, the more and more impressed I become.

Sure beats a retarded calculator.

That tank looks pretty shitty to me actually although it at least looks like it took some effort. The concept of making realistic objects in Doom is pretty retarded in general. Although just to spite Bloodskull here's a computer I made a couple years ago.

sargebaldy said:

That tank looks pretty shitty to me actually although it at least looks like it took some effort. The concept of making realistic objects in Doom is pretty retarded in general. Although just to spite Bloodskull here's a computer I made a couple years ago.

But there are no letters on the keyboard :(

sargebaldy said:

That tank looks pretty shitty to me actually although it at least looks like it took some effort.

That's probably because bad textures were used. It would look way better with some proper textures.

zarkyb said:

But there are no letters on the keyboard :(

Yes there are, the keyboard manufacturer just mistakenly decided to use grey lettering.

Nick Perrin said:

That's probably because bad textures were used. It would look way better with some proper textures.

Yeah, I think that is it, the actual construction itself looks good.