Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Qafqa

Doom music played by some (in)famous artists

Hello creatures of Doomworld!
I'm on a quest to find Doom and Doom II music that has been played by some actual bands.
I have accidentally found some of them already:

Alice in Chains - Them Bones (LV23)
Pantera - Mouth for War (E3M1)
Pantera - This Love (LV18)

These are excellent songs because they remind me of the excellent game.
Does anyone know other songs?

The music in the game were actually based on the songs by the bands, not the other way around ;).

Do a forum search, and you'll find several dozen threads on the subject :).

Hehee...
I should have used the forum search feature instead of manual search. Sorry for this useless topic. :P

I was really fool because I did not notice those other songs before. And NiGHTMARE, I knew which way it was. Afterall, almost everything in Doom is ripped from somewhere. I guess, that's how great things usually develop. Oh well...

BTW, LV16 is not on the list.
It's Pantera also.

Qafqa said:

BTW, LV16 is not on the list.
It's Pantera also.

I assume by LV16 you mean E1M6 of Doom 1? Because Doom 2 MAP16 uses the same music as MAP10.

Qafqa said:

Afterall, almost everything in Doom is ripped from somewhere.

That's not really fair. Apart from some of the musical themes, some (many?) of the sounds (from sound libraries), some of the monster concepts, a few graphics, a few of the weapon ideas/designs, and the sound code (not that it's "ripped", of course), the rest of the game content is id's original creative work.

I apologize, "almost everything" was too rough an expression. I had not seen/heard anything like Doom when it (the shareware) came out. Too bad I haven't had time to play it so much recently.

Oh damn, the moron part of me (98%) did not even remember that LV10 and LV16 had the same track. Maybe it's better that I'll be idling now for awhile.

Thanks for not shooting my head off yet. :)

Grazza said:

That's not really fair. Apart from some of the musical themes, some (many?) of the sounds (from sound libraries), some of the monster concepts, a few graphics, a few of the weapon ideas/designs, and the sound code (not that it's "ripped", of course), the rest of the game content is id's original creative work.

the story of Doom is quite Aliensish though wouldn't you say? that coupled with what you mentioned above, i think, makes Qafqa's earlier statement about nearly everything of doom being ripped from somewhere quite right.
its just putting these ripped things together that makes Doom have its own look. which is pretty much the same for all 'original' looks. :(

Foofoo said:
which is pretty much the same for all 'original' looks.

And everything we do is a modification of what exists already. That's why the modification to the function of things is really important. DOOM may have taken ideas (even forms or structures) from Aliens, metal bands, D&D, side-scrollers, Evil Dead, or whatever. But most of that is re-moulded and altered to serve as part of an FPS, and quite originally in that sense (aside from protoFPSs like Wolf3D.)

doom's advanced (for its time) engine is what made it's playability and function as an FPS seem original. but as a game, in its heart, its just another wolf3d. all FPSes are :S .

Wolfenstein 3D is just a prettier Catacomb Abyss, which itself is just an improved Hovertank 3D :P.

Foofoo said:
doom's advanced (for its time) engine is what made it's playability and function as an FPS seem original. but as a game, in its heart, its just another wolf3d. all FPSes are :S .

That phrase fails to be effectively meaningful. DOOM goes well beyond Wolenstein 3D with its variety, multi-player, demo recording, and editability. See how small functional differences in what is essentially the same thing are what really matters, and not that essential whole? Originality is an illusion based on the lack of knowledge of the development and workings of the supposed original things.

In this case, Wolfenstein 3D does not have all the traits that define an FPS now, while DOOM does.

E3M8 sounds a lot more like Sargent "D" and the S.O.D. by Stormtroopers of Death (another popular thrash metal band from the 80s) than Silent Scream..

Since this subject has been brought up again, does anyone know what song Map 9's(the Pit) theme for the original Doom 2 was based on? I always loved that level because it had such a cool song to go with it. :)

Heh, I know, I just wasn't sure if Map 9 was based on anything or not. :) I think Map 9's song would be perfect for a gothic tune or some such.

DooM II MAP01 seems to be loosely based off of Megadeth - Hangar 18. The main similarity is the progression.

There's some other Doom tracks that I'm curious about. Are there real songs that sound similar to these:

E1M6 - On the Hunt
E1M8 - Sign of Evil
E2M7 - Waltz of the Demons
E3M2 - Donna to the Rescue

Map 01 - Running From Evil
Map 02 - The Healer Stalks
Map 05 - DOOM
Map 08 - The Dave D. Taylor Blues
Map 09 - Into Sandy's City
Map 30 - Opening to Hell

Plutonia Map 21 - Slayer

ultdoomer said:
Map 01 - Running From Evil

I said:
DooM II MAP01 seems to be loosely based off of Megadeth - Hangar 18. The main similarity is the progression.