Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rotting Corpse

Computer Problem.

I just finished building my new pc. The Problem is that when I try to boot the damn thing up nothing happens. All the fans go on and the dvdrom and hard drive start up but thats it. I cant get any thing to display on my monitar. The computer dosnt even give me any boot beep error messages. Its a:

ASUS A8V delux motherbord
Amd ahtlon 64 3800
2 sticks of 512mb ddr 400
Geforce 6600 gt

Any ideas? Should I try clearing the cmos?

I have a 5950 Ultra with athlon xp 3000 and my 300w is acting up. First, clear the CMOS because I had a simular problem the other day and clearing the CMOS fixed it. So try that first. I think you might want a better power supply (say 400) though.

Can you get into the BIOS?
Is the hard drive blank? Do you have a boot disk?
What happens if you boot with keyboard unplugged?

Hmm...this is what I suggest.

Try clearing the CMOS. If that doesn't work, check for a faulty motherboard. If that doesn't work, try a larger power supply, but first double check that all your hardware is compatable.

Make sure your RAM is unbuffered and unregistered. It took me 3 times to get my new compy right, but damn it's awesome...

EDIT: 350 Watts should power that. An A64 knocks off about 20-30 watts of power consumption from a comparable P4. You only need a big power supply if you're stuffing your case full of drives.

EDIT 2: I have that exact same board and instaed of beeps, it has this voice error message thingy. You'll need some speakers to hear anything.

My advice (had the same problem on a PC here recently):

1. Ensure you have no IDE cables plugged into your motherboard which are not attached to anything, or are attached to drives that are without power (this will cause most MB's to do nothing on startup).

2. Rip everything out of the motherboard including the video card and RAM. You should get a series of repeating beeps indicating that the memory is not present. Simply re-insert your hardware one by one to determine the cause of the fault.

3. If you get no beeps doing the above, remove your CPU heatsink/fan and CPU itself from the socket and check for any visible signs of damage on the chip itself. If possible, swap in another processor to try.

4. Sniff around your PC to see if you can smell any burning electrics. Most common sources of this kind of odour: power supply, cpu, motherboard.

5. If your motherboard requires jumpers or DIP switches to be set in order to configure the correct bus speed and multipliers for your CPU - make sure these are set correctly. Consult your MB manual for this info.

6. Plug the fan for your CPU cooler into the proper header on your motherboard, some boards BIOS's prevent startup if they detect less than a certain amount of RPMs from the CPU fan header.

In addition to stuff that's been said, check if the power has voltage settings and its in the right one (I'm assuming 110 for you, as opposed to 220.)

No beeps means the motherboard, or the CPU, don't work.

I got pissed so I took every thing out and rebuilt the computer. It still didnt work. so I cleared the cmos and reinstalled the prosser. Now it works. I still dont know what the hell was wrong but now it works. thanks for the help.

Sometimes the cheapo power supplies just die. I had a couple like that at a webcafe I worked at for awhile. Sometimes they would even turn on for a few seconds before dying again .. power supply just wasn't giving enough juice. Only solution was to junk em.