Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Euronymous

Doom 3. scary?

I'll admit I've jumped quite a few times whenever something decides to come out of the closet unexpectedly. So it's as scary as I can handle. I love it.

Jasoco said:

No, he said there are not going to be more. Watch "Icons Part 4" on the disc.

Todd Hollenshead says "We've already decided we're not going to do a Doom 4 or a Quake 4..." They're going to go in another direction. Make a new ID for id. Reinvent themselves. Reinvent the genre maybe. We'll see. (Quake 4 is being made by Raven, but Doom 4 will never be made.)

DAMMIT!!!

I would have rather Doom 3 kept going on and led you to Earth like the originals did. I was disappointed it only kept you on Mars. (Which you never actually were on in the originals. You were on the moons, Phobos and Deimos. I love those names.)

Doom 3's ambience and some parts scared me. The monsters aren't scary, maybe if I had creatures that rotted in real time, and some spider creatures that were more spidery and less human (I'm an arachnaphob) then the monsters would scare me. But things like whispering, skeletons moving inside vents, 'demonic flashes' (when your screen gets all red and things happen) some of the laughing (Most of it sounds too human, but the demonic laughing creeps the hell out of me) The woman (you know, the gasps, crys, moans, demonic baby that was taken, yellow eyes, etc.) those factors scare the shit out of me sometimes

The one timei actually freaked out is when i had just gotten to the Delta Labs Level with the portal to hell.
I was walking down the hall and all the lights blew...the walls were covered with blood and the ground was littered with body parts..i crept along and all of a sudden i see something out of the corner of my eye for a split second and then i look again and nothing was there.It was the only REALLY tense moment in the game.

I think one of the main problems(not THE main problem), that stops D3 from being ultimately scary, is the setting. Scary stuff is much scarier when you can imagine its actually happening. How often do you, or for that matter anyone go to a tech base on mars?

Its obviously cool(I haven't played it yet), but I think they should remake a game like Undying(http://www.clivebarker.com/html/visions/bib/relat/misc/undying/), which is set in a huge scary mansion(and dark eery houses are realistic to everyone and scary) into the DooM 3 engine.

Good call on realms of the haunting and undying. Undying is one of my favourite games of the last 10 years.

Yeah, I still haven't beat Realms of the Haunting. I started playing it a few years ago and then stopped because I can't get it to work with sound anymore, maybe a dos emulator would help? But yeah, I recently got some maps for undying(family grave is an excellent episode), and it rocks.

Nick Perrin said:

I think one of the main problems(not THE main problem), that stops D3 from being ultimately scary, is the setting. Scary stuff is much scarier when you can imagine its actually happening.

Disagree. I think this is just personal taste. Essentially you need no realism whatsoever to create something scary.
For example, when you have nightmares while dreaming, they can be so un-realistic or surrealistic that you sometimes can´t even describe them to another person.

Tetzlaff said:

Disagree. I think this is just personal taste. Essentially you need no realism whatsoever to create something scary.
For example, when you have nightmares while dreaming, they can be so un-realistic or surrealistic that you sometimes can´t even describe them to another person.

true true

Most scary stuff comes from what we can't see. Or stuff which we can hear but which doesn't exist.

I've played a bit of D3, but enough to conclude that this game utilizes a lot of the "cat-jumping-out-of-the-closet"-scariness.

They should've made it more psychologically scary, building a lot of atmosphere and then have it conclude to nothing : you expect something scary, but it doesn't appear. Now THAT is scary more than anything else imho.
The Silent Hill games excell at this.

A PS to my previous post : why don't they make Silent Hill first person view only?
Now THAT would be 200% SCARY.

With the 3rd person view you can see your 6 o'clock and the fixed camera angle is FRUSTRATING, sometimes not even showing you what's in front of your character ...

Considering all the things they stole from System Shock 2, its obvious thats what they wanted doom3 to be

Ssytem shock 2 is so far the scariest game ive ever played, although I hear the original is much better and scarier - too bad I cant run it

The bit before you fight the Mancubi is the best part of the Game imho. Simply because as stated before you can hear them before you see them.

First off, Doom 3 is very scary but it is up to the player to quit nit picking the game and immerse themselves in it. I think if people would just sit down, crank the volume up, and then think like the character they are playing then they would at least be "pumped up" from all the crap that the main character is going through. Sure the game isn't terrifying like you can't sleep, but it is nerve racking and fun as hell.

Reap said:

DAMMIT!!!

Well Quake 4 IS coming out so their statements are crap. I mean no offense to Carmack, but stating "We will not make Doom 4 or Quake 4" is dumb because they are a company out to make money just like everybody else. Now if you go to IGN or some other site, you can look up Quake 4. No Doom 4? Whatever, they will make a Doom 4 or at least a new and final chapter of Doom 3 where it is the Hell on Earth story guaranteed. I am just waiting for it to come about.

Depends how you play it. I play on hard and I pretend it's real. So I creep around and try to suffer no damage at all.

It's pretty hard to outreact the beasts but it's doom folks. They are amazingly alike in play doom2 and doom3. You know there will be something behind the door. It used to be a sargent on either side just out of sight, now it's a sprite in the door. If you open it carefully from the side, just like in doom2, and crouch (not like in doom2 ;) he won't even see you till you get the first shell into him.

Playing like this induces fear and I love it. 360 checks were standard in doom2 you never knew when something would trigger a beast from behind. I don't know what the monster closet wining is about, the damn base just got demonaicly possesed.

It is doom3 folks and is very true to doom2 and doom.

PenGun

If by "very true to doom and doom2" you mean it's slow instead of fast, you would be correct. :p No really, DOOM 3 is great. I enbjoyed it thoroughly.

Well yeah, but you have to save your stamina for combat. I can zip around pretty good with sprint on.

PenGun

OK OK OK DOOM 3 = not good music wise, Freakin' Sweet graphics/gameplay/scary/Co-op online!/Map editor (PC version only)
And of course boss fights!
DOOM 1&2 no boss fight except the last boss...no cut scenes unless u make them with ZDoom. Graphics are weak but its an old game so ill lay off that. If i scored doom 3 i would giv it a 9.5 out of 10 (Xbox version) 10 out of 10 (PC version) and Retro rating DOOM1&2 Both get 8.5 out of 10

P.S. ZDoom Owns!

D3 gets better and better the more I play it. I haven't played it much lately since finishing it the first time, but picked up again recently and am totally admiring the environments and fun firefights again.

Still very scary the 2nd time around!

im in the middle of playing it on xbox right now. im just after you do the first teleportation jump in delta labs. for a while in the beginning i was getting spooked a lot, but yeah i got used to it. i still think it's great though. even if i'm not getting spooked so much, ive still got that lingering creepy feeling whenever i play. and i also feel like it keeps getting better and better and better. i still keep getting shocked and awed.

blah blah blah.

i love xbox version :D only because it cheaper then buying a powerful computer and i like that co-op thing but even still i get spooked. one time i was playin me and my friend are like on the 4th lvl and theres like a bunch of pinkies that come out of some small rooms, my friend runs around in circles and runs into the dark room. then all u hear is beepbeepbeepbeep! BOOM!! and my friends dead... and i go check in that room he was in and BAM!! two pinkies r tryin to eat me!!! and im like Fu** S**t Ba*t*r*s AHHHHH!!! my friend says......HAHAHAHAHA U IDIOT!!

D3's Hell was pretty good, but I think ROE's was better. I love all the guys who are like I hate stuff teleporting behind me and monsters popping out of the lil niche in the wall and stuff. As if that wasn't all over the place in the originals. This game has alot of similarities to the originals. I don't think they did the monster behind the door and teleport behind you to try and be scary. They did that to make the game harder.
The scary stuff is the atmosphere, the sounds mostly, and your imagination. When I was in Enpro and the monorail levels and I knew I had to go over to Delta, I was scared to go over there because I was thinking well if this part of the base is this bad, wtf is going on over there? And when you first come into Delta and the place is trashed, the power is off, and there's bodies everywhere, I was wondering wtf happened to all these people. And when you got to Delta 4, the door opens and the place is a fuckin slaughterhouse? That's scary man.
Now I played Silent Hill on the advice of some guys earlier in this thread, and I'm in the middle of SH2 now. SH was scary, SH2 ain't that bad. But I think D3 was worse than SH. ROE wasn't that scary, because I had a pretty good idea what the hell was going on, except I didn't trust the chick doctor all the way till the end and she ended up bein a good guy. But it was still great.

Only things that pissed me off about DOOM 3, u weren't in hell lvls for very long >:( when i made it i was like, alright here comes the real game!!! and it was awesome!! then i came back to the base and i was like WTF!? and that boss?! WTF?! It was weird how it threw out like weird lil droid thingys....