Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Extreme metal and Doom

Please note before reading this that if your definition of "extreme metal" is either
a) noise or
b) the crap MTV plays on Headbanger's Ball
then it's fairly obvious you don't know what extreme metal is, so please don't flame this thread if you're not sure what this style of music refers to. For those of you who have had exposure to it, what do you think about its use in Doom? Sometimes while playing Doom 2, I find the gameplay becomes more frenzied when playing death metal bands such as Autopsy, Cannibal Corpse, Possessed, Necrophagia, Nun Slaughter, Death, and other old school bands in the background. Sometimes though, doom metal bands such as Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, St. Vitus, Pentagram, Uccultum, etc. It almost seems like Doom was made for this style of music, as the lyrics in many of these bands often lies along the occult, extreme blood/gore, and other similar subjects. Sometimes it can also be effective to play NWOBHM style stuff, not necessarily shit bordering on power metal, but more "traditional" style music like Angel Witch or Diamond Head.

I never play with external music, but some wads have had pretty extreme stuff as music, starting with DOOM itself having Slayer based tracks. I recall Toke using Carcass for VexDoom, and Hell Revealed 2 has stuff that is quite closely based on black metal and ambient black metal songs (tracks from maps 26 and 29, for example.)

The creators (notably Romero) liked metal, and metal does indeed have a theme that's similar to DOOM in general (death, epic struggle, undead, demons.) And if you mix stuff from Aliens and Evil Dead II, you get that sort of thing.

I haven't thought about using ambient black metal in Doom, that's a good idea. That's pretty kickass that a Carcass track has been used, their later material is pretty groovin' and would do good on a Doom level.

I read that the original idea was to use that kind of music in DOOM but Bobby Prinze suggested the style that it's actually in game. I think some of the music from the DOOM games are very cool, like E1m5, other are just boring like the one of map18. Other maps with more rock oriented music like some of TNT or certain wads indeed sound very cool, but indeed there are some maps with heavy metal as bgm that also sound boring.

I always listen to black/deathmetal while I play doom!!! Heh, you mentioned Nun Slaughter, thats my buddys band, thats cool that you like them!
Support the MeTaL scene!

GoatLord said:

Please note before reading this that if your definition of "extreme metal" is either
a) noise or
b) the crap MTV plays on Headbanger's Ball
then it's fairly obvious you don't know what extreme metal is, so please don't flame this thread if you're not sure what this style of music refers to.

Strange that I don't listen to or watch either yet still think extreme metal qualifies about as much as "music" as George W. Bush is a gay rights activist.

Refer to my post in the thread about GWAR saying they made levels for Doom 2 to see what I mean.

Dodge said:
Strange that I don't listen to or watch either yet still think extreme metal qualifies about as much as "music" as George W. Bush is a gay rights activist.

You indeed have to put music between quotation marks because unless you're totally ignorant about "extreme metal" you'll know there are quite a few very talented musicians in the gerne. Like for instance, I don't like what Ingwe Malmsteen does much, and don't listen to his stuff, but I know it's still music and that the guy is very skilled, only that I don't like his style.

Plus you don't know if said George is gay or not. And if he were, there's no reason to say he doesn't stand quite adamantly for the rights of hypocritical closet gays.

And did your mom eventually recover?

myk said:

You indeed have to put music between quotation marks because unless you're totally ignorant about "extreme metal" you'll know there are quite a few very talented musicians in the gerne. Like for instance, I don't like what Ingwe Malmsteen does much, and don't listen to his stuff, but I know it's still music and that the guy is very skilled, only that I don't like his style.

Plus you don't know if said George is gay or not. And if he were, there's no reason to say he doesn't stand quite adamantly for the rights of hypocritical closet gays.

And did your mom eventually recover?

I don't mind if people say "extreme metal sucks," because that's opinion, but I do get angry when people say that it's "not music" or that the musicians "aren't talented." I think a lot of people aren't used to the heavily distorted (and often downtuned, except in black metal) guitars, and the rapid-fire drums. Most people are used to relatively "light" and mid-paced rock music and therefore extreme metal (black/death/grind/thrash/doom) comes off as excessive, overly abrasive and above all things, noisy as hell. It takes a careful ear to realize that these bands have precise, careful structure to their music and at times, surprisingly complex melodies. Among the chaos, there is order, but most aren't willing to look past the "noise" aspect of this style. Anyway, I wouldn't trust Dodge's opinion, as he as wildly mislabeled GWAR as "death metal" when their music doesn't even come close. Additionally, GWAR is extremely tame compared to most bands in the extreme field. Anyway, I do agree that doom would be boring if it were extreme metal all the way, because the ambient songs are awesome too, but it's a real rush to have Obituary playing while you slaughter some demons!

Ok. Maiden needs to be in DOOM! I did that usin JDoom and its freakin awesome!! U ever play e3m8 while listening to Children of the Damned? and after u beat it ur listenin to GWAR's Fish Fuck. it is freakin awesome! o and even listen to ....and justice for all at the ending cut-scene? if u kno how to use JDoom Audio options then all the ppl who wanted there "extreme metal" in there Doom playing will hav there wishes granted :D

P.S. If u don't kno who Maiden, GWAR, or Metallica is don't worry, but u should.....

P.P.S. J/K :P

I like playing Doom with ultra violent metal, with ultra cool music or with no music at all.

fraggle said:
I always listen to Britney Spears while playing Doom. I feel it fits the theme.

Of course, but everyone knows she's into metal.

fraggle said:

I always listen to Britney Spears while playing Doom. I feel it fits the theme.

I've done that before! they were D!Zone levels so that may have been true...

i listen to my metal when i play doom. but then i just leave winamp on shuffle through my whole library pretty much all day. i only turn it off when i play Counter-Strike:Source or Doom 3.

if i could get away with it i would put .mp3s of Behemoth, Emperor, Mayhem, etc. in my wads :p

the crap MTV plays on Headbanger's Ball

hah, yeah. i can listen to some Metalcore, but i hate it when anybody thinks of it as real metal. Lamb of God is listed as black metal on music choice, that made me steam a bit.

I might change the music to my playlist if I don't like the map's song, and some levels that are insane (map26 AV, map26 Scythe), I may change the music to just screaming and 10000 BPM drums and heavy guitars and stuff, heh.

about lamb of god being black metal...correct me if im wrong, but isnt black metal considered to be groups like cradle of filth and dimmu borgir? as in the more gothic/orchastrated metal? ive seen on lots of site saying cannibal corpse was black metal, but isnt that death metal?

Usually whenever I do play, I just leave the game music on. However, if I'm really in the mood to go all out, I'll put on some heavy rock/metal to get some adrenalin flowin'

maggot_army said:

about lamb of god being black metal...correct me if im wrong, but isnt black metal considered to be groups like cradle of filth and dimmu borgir? as in the more gothic/orchastrated metal? ive seen on lots of site saying cannibal corpse was black metal, but isnt that death metal?

Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are sorta gothic/symphonic, but its not totally wrong to throw them in with black metal as thats how they started. and yes, Cannibal Corpse is a supreme example of death.

black metal is bands like Darkthrone, Emperor, Immortal, and Mayhem.

Lamb of God is metalcore/hardcore, and possibly thrash.

MasterOfPuppets said:

if i could get away with it i would put .mp3s of Behemoth, Emperor, Mayhem, etc. in my wads :p

YES, BEHEMOTH OWNS U!!

hmmmm... Master of Puppets in a custom wad....
Ill support that idea :D

MasterOfPuppets said:

Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are sorta gothic/symphonic, but its not totally wrong to throw them in with black metal as thats how they started. and yes, Cannibal Corpse is a supreme example of death.

Cradle of Filth....
Dimmu Borgir!?
OMG ur my best Friend!!! :P
I luv Cradle of Filth!!
and i like Dimmu Borgir! (i Like Cradle of Filth better :P)
And of course Cannibal Corpse is Freakin awesome!!!
I must try and make a wad with some Cradle of FIlth and Metallica out there!! >.<

On Topic:
I often attribute my taste for metal to Doom, without even knowing it I was listening to Pantera, Slayer and Black Sabbath at an early age. These days when I play doom I generally listen to Brutal Death Metal (Black Metal just doesn't seen to fit into the atmosphere for me (bar Anaal Nathrakh)). I think it enhances the experience - makes it more nerve-wracking at times. Agiel, Decapitated, Cryptopsy and Gorgasm seem to work well, and when I want to give my ears a rest Bloodbath, Gorerotted, Iniquity and Manowar do the job :D

Somewhat Off Topic:

In the name of GWAR said:

Cradle of Filth....
Dimmu Borgir!?
OMG ur my best Friend!!! :P
I luv Cradle of Filth!!
and i like Dimmu Borgir! (i Like Cradle of Filth better :P)
And of course Cannibal Corpse is Freakin awesome!!!
I must try and make a wad with some Cradle of FIlth and Metallica out there!! >.<

Metallica, Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are prime examples of false metal parading itself as real metal. Also, you are a moron.

destx said:

Somewhat Off Topic:[/b]Metallica, Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are prime examples of false metal parading itself as real metal. Also, you are a moron.

DUMB ASS :P HAHAHA U KNO NOTHIN OF METAL HAHAHAHA :D

In the name of GWAR said:

DUMB ASS :P HAHAHA U KNO NOTHIN OF METAL HAHAHAHA :D

Your obnoxiousness is surpassed only by your impertinence.

destx said:

Your obnoxiousness is surpassed only by your impertinence.

R u usin big words to sound important or jus to further the fact that ur narrow mind could not handle real, hmmmm, how could I dumb this down for you? Ah yes, Smarts :D