Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pure Hellspawn

Is it possible to put DOOM monsters in quake?

Pure Hellspawn said:

Is it possible to put DOOM monsters in quake?

NO NO AND NO, Doom and Quake are completely different engines, you just can't port doom stuff directly over.

a mod did that (YPOD) but it SUCKED

The only way that would be even remotely possible is to make models of the Doom monsters that you want in Quake (or just use some that were already made). Then you'll need to create the behavior for each monster, which can be a challenge in itself. Finally, you'll need to make at least one map in which to put the new monsters. However, if you don't want to make new maps, you could just change the behaviors of some of the existing monsters (for instance, Scrag->Cacodemon).

You would need a model converter to make the Jdoom md2s to mdls and then put them in Quake. I think Milkshape loads many formats and exports them as even more-load md2s and convert to mdls. Behavior would have to be hard-coded in QuakeC, because AFAIK there's no scripting to make custom monsters in quake other than modifying the exe, CMIIW

Alternatively, as Ichor said You could make the models from scratch.

Are you asking if it is possible to use sprites for monster graphics instead of MDLs? If so, probably not, I think the engine expects joints and animation prodecures to play out, etc.

Nmn said:

You would need a model converter to make the Jdoom md2s to mdls and then put them in Quake. I think Milkshape loads many formats and exports them as even more-load md2s and convert to mdls. Behavior would have to be hard-coded in QuakeC, because AFAIK there's no scripting to make custom monsters in quake other than modifying the exe, CMIIW

Alternatively, as Ichor said You could make the models from scratch.

Er no

1. Milkshape doesn't import frames nor saves MDLS, though QuArK can directly convert md2 to mdl

2. Game code is NOT CODED IN THE EXE OF QUAKE, it's in progs.dat.

3. Many custom Quake engines support MD2, MD3, and ZYM. Some even support Half-Life MDL

Ichor said:

The only way that would be even remotely possible is to make models of the Doom monsters that you want in Quake (or just use some that were already made). Then you'll need to create the behavior for each monster, which can be a challenge in itself. Finally, you'll need to make at least one map in which to put the new monsters. However, if you don't want to make new maps, you could just change the behaviors of some of the existing monsters (for instance, Scrag->Cacodemon).

it isn't exactly "changing behaviors", but monsters are created in code by spawning a defined entity. Here, have a look at soldier.qc for an example of making a monster in Quake (believe me it's alot different and easier than decorate or dehacked methods :) )

I know. It's similar to how I create new monsters for Hexen, and no it's not too hard once you get used to it.