Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

Descent styled levels/gameplay in zdoom?

After playing D1 and D2 with a sourceport, it got me thinking if there was anyway to utilize the style in zdoom. It would be interesting to be able to play something like Descent in zdoom but it would be kinda downgraded from 3d enemy models and such.

Interesting curiousity.

Impossible because it would need full up and down look. Zdoom isn't capable of that (yet)

Nmn said:

Interesting curiousity.

Impossible because it would need full up and down look. Zdoom isn't capable of that (yet)

Well aside from that I'm pretty sure theres a way you can have a cockpit displayed and such. The only problem is having doors open underneath and above you, and the fact that it requires many slopes which seem impossible with zdoom. I would be willing to work out a prototype with someone however.

Good luck. The Descent engine is so vastly different from Doom and other similar games that it is a futile effort.

Bloodskull said:

Well aside from that I'm pretty sure theres a way you can have a cockpit displayed and such.(...)

Yeah, that's possible.
However, models are impossible (don't give me nonsense about voxels please)
More, does Descent have 3d? If so, then it's impossible. The slopes aren't a problem with some effort put into the work.

Nmn said:

More, does Descent have 3d? If so, then it's impossible.

Unfortunately yes, but silent teleporters could work.

It would be cool to have something that almost plays like Descent - run around, kill robots (on foot), destroy the reactor and get the heck out of there.

Doom engine isn't made for that kind of thing. The y-shearing would ruin the look.

WildWeasel said:

It would be cool to have something that almost plays like Descent - run around, kill robots (on foot), destroy the reactor and get the heck out of there.

Why on foot? Zdoom can utlilize somewhat of a flying feature.

Yes, but without full looking up and down You cannot have the 360 degree of freedom. Weasel's advice was actually very good.

When is that going to happen is the question. (noticed the "yet" in my 1st post in this thread? ;) )

MasterOfPuppets said:

wasn't ZDoom going to start using Polymost for rendering?

Why reinvent the wheel? Just port it to the Quake engine ;P

Use3D said:

Why reinvent the wheel? Just port it to the Quake engine ;P

Sorry, we don't need another Vavoom. One is enough :)

descent uses 6 degrees of movement. zdoom does not.

i´ve gotta idea...
Hows about a tagged water room.You know for swimming....
and the the weapons and the robots would made the major problem

Nmn said:

Yeah, that's possible.
However, models are impossible (don't give me nonsense about voxels please)
More, does Descent have 3d? If so, then it's impossible. The slopes aren't a problem with some effort put into the work.

What, Zdoom can support voxels or something? I don't see the Descent thing working, I'm only vague familiar with Descent, but I know enough to know that 360 rotation, multiple floors and complex geometry would be impossible in Zdoom, even with the many "tricks" mappers have accomplished with it over the years to give it a psuedo 3-D look.

chaoscorp said:

i´ve gotta idea...
Hows about a tagged water room.You know for swimming....
and the the weapons and the robots would made the major problem

what