Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

Demo text-files quiz #2

I enjoyed Grazza's quiz so much that I just had to put together one myself. This time, I've chosen 10 (extracts from) demo texts. As in the last quiz, your task is to guess who was the player who wrote the text in question. And again, if you can state what the demo was, so much the better.

The level of difficulty here ranges from about the same as the last quiz, to very hard. I have also included 2 (#11 and #12) SUPER difficult bonus texts for those of you who want a real challenge! ;-) I'll give clues for these two if nobody is even close...

The demos can be from COMPET-N, the SDA, demo packs, the TAS site (old or new), or ones that have appeared in this forum. The players are different in each case. Here we go!

1. "That fat painee in that enormous lift almost drove me mad since they together with cacos are chickens on their own and she really tried to hide from me.."

2. "It's 8 o'clock in the morning, I need breakfast, and I know I'll never fall in love with this map. But this session was fun (I had also a 15:06 exit an hour ago). Perhaps I should play Doom rather in the morning than in the evening from now on."

3. "The rocketjump from the area with a yellow key to an exit is possible. I am right? But I had no health."

4. "I got a point for standing... cool :)"

5. "I have never spent more time on any maxkill-demo, never slashed my keyboard harder, never shouted (not very nice) words louder, never hated a burning skull more- NEVER again will I EVER touch this...this...***!!"

6. "I think you need some years of dooming to complete this level this way. And I couldn't in my dreams imagine that a keyboarder would do it....... ever."

7. "!!!Ok now I go to toilet bye!!!"

8. "Quite an Amazing Recording... And Seven whole Minutes faster than the previous best... And with Every Level done faster than ever before..."

9. "I'd tried all sorts of strategies. The one here was "stand some way from the exit so the imps could deplete my health and hopefully nothing would obstruct the revenant's missile; then run for the exit just as it hits". Obviously, it is very much luck-dependent (346th attempt!)."

10. "200+ monsters, 3 invul. orbs, lots of rockets, you do the math :P"

BONUS:

11. "IMHO 52 sec or 53 sec should be possible..."

12. "CyberDemon? What CyberDemon?"

Good luck!

#4 is "Scratchy"'s comment on the 4-player coop on E4M7 (c4s7-001) by Scratchy, BahdKo, Dashiva and Waldon. I was completely clueless when I first watched that demo, and assumed that all four players' movements somehow contributed to the trick working.

#8 is a comment by Simon Widlake (aka. The "Judge") in Uwe Girlich's text for his 0911uv21 - a compet-n demo in which he is generally regarded to have used TAS methods.

One of them is mine. :)

Some of the others look familiar, but will require more thought and/or research.

#5 was going to drive me nuts if I didn't remember the lmp... but I was pretty sure I knew who did it since it sounded so familiar. Anders Johnsen in pl26-554.zip

Grazza said:
#8 is a comment by Simon Widlake (aka. The "Judge") in Uwe Girlich's text for his 0911uv21 - a compet-n demo in which he is generally regarded to have used TAS methods.

Yes. Simon's obliviousness and comments are somehow so bittersweet... :-/ Sometimes, when someone calls a demo "amazing" I think of this text.

#7 is Jakub "method_man" Razak: rq28-102. I was sure it was one of the Jakubs and for a compet-n pwad demo, but it took a while to track it down. He mentioned the toilet in the text for hc31-109 too.

Kristian Ronge said:

Simon's obliviousness

It's a British tradition for judges to be rather out of touch with things. :p

Edit: typo corrected.

For #6 I checked some of Altima's runs like hr30 but came up empty handed.

I think #9 is Anima, but only on the grounds that he's the only player I remember who counts his attempts to the exact number.

Grazza said:
#7 is Jakub "method_man" Razak: re28-102.

I assume you mean rq28-102. ;-)
As for hc31-109, considering his "contribution", I wouldn't doubt that he actually went to the toilet...

It's a British tradition for judges to be rather out of touch with things. :p

I beg to differ! Snooker referees are very alert, precise and correct, at all times. Football refs on the other hand... :-P

BTW, Drew: #9 is not Anima, sorry.

#2 is Jochen "Angus Thermopyle" Schneidau: fr281335 (Fragport demo pack). The clue was the mention of breakfast; I don't recall many other speedrunners referring to this particular meal too often.

Kristian: yes, rq28-102 (typo). And on your other point, maybe that's why they're called referees rather than judges. ;) Snooker referees do have a relatively easier time than soccer refs, as snooker players are expected to (and actually do) declare their own fouls.

Edit: and on the subject of typos, hc31-109 has the wrong file-name - the time is 2:09. Given the nature of the map, a time of 1:09 would be more than "amazing".

Vile said:
I think #9 is Anima, but only on the grounds that he's the only player I remember who counts his attempts to the exact number.

It sounds like Grazza from what I recall... can't find the demo though, it doesn't seem to be on my HDD currently.

#9 is Grazza's nm demo on map11 in the Scythe pack. I'm blanking on a lot of the rest though... must be out of the loop these days.

#9 smells of Grazza's obsession with suicide exits... let's see - yep, it's Grazza in the nightmare demo for Scythe map11 (DSF multi-skill demopack)
#10 is Anima in dv012509.lmp
#11 is Robin Woehler in e1m1-054
#12 is Don Pate in lv32-020

only 4 more to go...

Yowza! Nicely done with #11 and 12 there, Goofy! Gold star for you! :-D

Did you know them, or did you look them up? I think both are hilarious, BTW (but for different reasons), that's why I included them... :-)

And there are now only three left: 1, 3, and 6.

#9 and 10 did ring a bell, since I watched these not too long ago, but yes, truth be told, I had to look up #11 and 12 - sorry if this has ruined the challenge for everybody else (next time around I'll keep my mouth shut a bit longer) :-)

And right, there are only 3 left now (didn't see #2 being answered)

I'm almost positive I have watched that demo referenced in #6 too, but I can't find it, grrr.

Yesssss, I *knew* I knew that demo!

#6 is Daniel Lindgren refering to Doom II map32 in the Tyson Grandmaster collection!

Hmm...
Could it be one by Jakub "DooMerMan" Machata? It sounds/looks like that...

No wonder I had never seen didn't remember that text - the version on Andrey's site doesn't include it.

edit: heh, I obviously don't memorize forums posts too well. :p

Sorry, I forgot to (just for complete clarity) post the correct answers. Here we go:

1. Peo Sjöblom, m2-lv27 (mm2_3 pack) alternately m2271423 (COMPET-N)
2. Jochen "Angus Thermopyle" Schneidau, fr281335 (Fragport pack)
3. Andrey "Entryway" Budko, e3uv-315 (TAS)
4. "Scratchy", c4s7-001 (COMPET-N)
5. Anders Johnsen, pl26-uv (pluvdemo pack), alternately pl26-554 (COMPET-N)
6. Daniel "Demonlord" Lindgren, ty32-tgm (Doom 2 Tyson Grand Master pack)
7. Jakub "method_man" Razak, rq28-102 (COMPET-N)
8. Simon Widlake, in Uwe Girlich's cheated 0911uv21 (COMPET-N)
9. Graham "Grazza" Burgess, sc11-nm (Scythe pack)
10. Brian "Anima Zero" Nesser, dv012509 (SDA)

The hard ones:

11. Robin Woehler, e1m1-054 (COMPET-N)
12. Don Pate, lv32-020, which is actually, strangely enough, 0:19 and not 0:20... (COMPET-N)

And thanks for (another) fun quiz. I would certainly look forward to a few more of these. Or maybe the format could be varied, with, say, screenshots from demos instead of text-based clues.

On the subject of numbers 8 & 11, I watched a few of the early e1m1 Maxes, and Girlich's e1m1-040 is pretty extraordinary. It's almost as though he wanted people to guess that he was cheating.

I think the kill on that third last imp is the really obvious indicator (he must have been using a slowmo factor of 0.1x or something).

It's strange how early Uwe cheated demos tend to be jerkier and uglier than just about any other demo in existence, while later Uwe cheated demos are smoother than just about any demo in existence. Was it a different slowmo factor, or was he just getting better at control?

I think, as time went by, Uwe gained an increasingly better understanding of the mechanics. The 0:40 run was made in the autumn of 1995, and the really suspect "super smooth" well-known connected runs (such as e.g. 0911uv21 and 0602uv01) started appearing around early summer 1996. That's more than 6 months of experimenting to get used to compensating for slow motion as well as finding suitable speeds (and add demo joining...).

Heh, looking over the e1m1-040 run again, it looks to me like it was played with *heavy* slow motion -- at 20% it looks okay. The turns are incredibly choppy (practically as if they were "built"), which would indicate a large amount of turning in a small amount of game tics.

EDIT:
Hm, I just thought of something. If we assume Uwe was cheating already in August, 1995 (and I think it's a pretty safe bet considering this demo and e1m4-029, which displays the wierd choppiness as well -- and note the bullshit statement in the .txt file!)...

Well, Uwe didn't record any demos prior to these (according to the COMPET-N database). It's possible that every single demo he made was cheated. The relevance here is the common opinion that (and I quote Opulent from the 10 year anniversary): "...it is very rare that casual DOOMers will cheat; as with these incidents, these players were already highly-skilled, accomplished players."