Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Graf Zahl

Master Levels - worth 10€?

I have the chance to buy the Master Levels for 10€ but I'm wondering whether they are worth it.

Any opinions?

Graf Zahl said:

I have the chance to buy the Master Levels for 10€ but I'm wondering whether they are worth it.

Any opinions?

I've got no regrets about paying for it.
Of course, you only get about 20 good-quality maps, 30 if you count some of the really good wads on the Maximum Doom portion of the CD.

Plus, you get a cool poster to hang on your wall. :)

I say yes, Master Levels in my opinion is better than DOOM 2. The poster is cool, and Maximum DOOM is a collection of wads from the internet, that can provide some fun when you're bored.

Vegeta said:

and Maximum DOOM is a collection of wads from the internet, that can provide some fun when you're bored.

I doubt that. I have played/checked out nearly every single WAD I got my hands on and from what I heard there's nothing special in there.

I'm more interested in the 'real' master levels.

If you're really worried about the risk of wasting your ten Euros, take a look at the other pwads from around the same time (1995) by some of the guys whose levels are included: Jim Flynn (the Titan maps et al.), Sverre Andre Kvernmo (the Cabal series), Tim Willits (maps in E4), John W. Anderson (Inferno series, map in E4), Tom Mustaine (various), Christen David Klie (various).

Also check out the Master Levels FAQ.

I got it a long time ago and the Master Levels for Doom 2 contains some of the best level design I've come across. It's amazingly what these level editors were able to do without using Zdoom, adding new textures/monsters, etc. As for the Maximum Doom levels, which contain 2,500 wads or so (not 3,000 like the box claims)...Well, sadly less than 1% are good or high quality maps. So it's like finding a gem among the poo, a way. Remember, this CD was released back in 1996, so not a lot of people were good mappers yet. I say get it thoguh. The poster is fuckin' awesome (I have it hanging in my room) and the Master Levels are of the highest quality.

City2.wad in Maximum doom is not completley terrible. I remember getting a great atmospheric feeling playing batman.wad from there too, but only because i had heard "batman doom" had exploding walls, though actually they are completely different wads i was expecting a wall to explode any minute and monsters to charge out

For a physical copy?

I would say yes. Back in the day I loved maps like Geryon, though the doom universe has long since moved on.

Um 10 Euros is about 10 Dollars right (give or take a few cents)?

In that case yeah, it's worth it. The Master Levels are very good, and are wads that have suprisingly good replay value (to me at least). I'd pay 10 for it.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Um 10 Euros is about 10 Dollars right (give or take a few cents)?

The dollar is still a fair bit less than the Euro at the moment.

10 E still sounds too much to me just to buy wads. Especially after I bought Descent1 (wow, great original game) from a bargain bin for even less than 3 E!

The Master Levels are very cool, and very hard to get, so if you've got the chance to buy them, do it!

The levels are even harder than Final DOOM, so there's a considerable challenge to them. In any case, the Master Levels should be a part of any DOOM-collection.

I just recently got the Master Levels, and enjoyed them very much.
"Maximum Doom" on the other hand, was just okay--obviously they could
have done a better job. Namely, releasing the text files for every wad.
The Master Levels were great. (Kicked my ass, actually...)

Gnarzuul said:

(...)
"Maximum Doom" on the other hand, was just okay--obviously they could
have done a better job. Namely, releasing the text files for every wad.(...)

You can get my Maximum DooM reference here:
http://www.geocities.com/southparkduke/doom/index.htm

It features authoring information and download links for the wads in the Maximum DooM collection.

Greetings
FunDuke

I bought my copy for about 1.2€ (10 danish kr.)in some shop and i did it solely for the poster. Bought like a year ago or so. I haven't bothered playing that many of the maps, and the ones i did play seemed like crap.

Anythiing thats an offical realease of idsoftware is worth it when it comes to doom. i wasnt considering the other levels in the "maximum doom" of the cd's master levels myself, witch bring's up my wad total considerably. but most cd realeases back then ('94-'96) borrowed from one another, give or take 10-20 wads maybe that were just realeased at/or around the time of the making of the cd. so yeah a lot of those can still be found online somewhere. but play some before you judge that there no good because some are pretty fun and unique (techniques being tried before they were thought possible ect..)