Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vorpal

How to "install" msdos?

I just got a new computer, and it has win2000... but no dos. How would I go about getting dos on this thing?

well u could make a partition for DOS and windows or u could scrap windows if u are a DOS freak. I would recomend a partition. however i think this can also work, get or make a bootdisk useing win98 DOS. then boot with it. or if u partition, format the partition in the DOS's FAT 32 or 16, then use a boot disk to get into the drive or use a DOS/windows bootloader

Good fucking luck getting win2k to work after you screw with the NTFS partition size/location

Heh, I's afraid to install DOS, I don't know how it will react to my dualboot system... I don't think DOS has much respect to alien partitions, does it?

DOS doesn't screw with them, though. Just...if you go about screwing with your partitions, then you could have problems.

Geez, people. Go on Egay and buy some cheap-ass p133 system. It's easier that way anyway.

The best (and I think only, but don't quote me on that, I'm just going by what the win2k help feature said) way to do it is to delete the existing partition and make two partitions, one for DOS and one for win2k install to play with. Instal DOS first and then install win2k. tell win2k to set itself up on the empty partition and when you start up your computer a boot menu should appear with MS-DOS and windows 2000 selectable

why buy a p133 system when u can get one for free, just ask big corperations that always are updateing their systems. just ask them to donate a computer to your non profit organization. I also built a cheap "Classic" system for about $40 and it runs all that is DOS 6.22/WIN3.11

Besides of that I once bought such a cheap P133 system on ebay, I can awake as many low end systems to life as I want to: PC emulation :) One "486 DX4100" each day - not a problem - and instead of throwing it out of the window when finished, I can easily end its life in the trashcan of my cute Mac (smack :). That really saves resources :) Ok, not every game or editor will work in this simulated environment, that is what I bought the real machine for.

Awww, I should not have written this, no offence against PCs, the are not that bad. ^_~

And the most horrible hardware I recently plugged out of one of my macs: The infamous "Apple Dos Compatibility Card", that is a card that has a complete 486 on it, with Soundblaster. The video is delivered by the Mac Video and the loop cable decreases the image quality badly. It is really NOT a nice hardware!
(But some of you will answer that this is the best what can be done to a Mac: plugging a PC into it. Yu see, I will not try to take the wind from your sails, Apple has not only made good hardware, for example, the transparent optical mouse of my new mac is a pain in the ass, because the mouse pointer use to jump from one edge of the screen to the other. Maybe I will make a list of shitty Apple hardware and post it here, why not :)

I will make a pic of this card an upload it to my briefcase, if someone is interested technically. BTW: Speaking of „sails“: the loop cable looks like it has been taken from the hand of Captain William Bligh from board of the HMS Bounty, good for punishment :)

I'm gonna get rid of all the 486/Pentium's in my basement soon. Maybe they'll make good Christmas presents for some people :)

Nah, I'm not THAT mean ;)